Light-O-Rama Forums

Small Town Titans - Mr. Grinch

Jedi Master 30

I'm new to editing my own sequences and really want to use this song. Anyone have a sequence to share? 48 channels is all I'm using. Don't have anything fancy just lights right now. Any templates would be great.

Looking for the same one.  If I find it I will share.  If not please someone email me the sequence at gregbower1@aol.com

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Any luck on the Small Town Titans Grinch sequence? I found xLights sequences but none for the LOR CBT16PC controllers. If you did and willing to share please email me  at knob1@sky.com

28 minutes ago, rknoblauch said:

Any luck on the Small Town Titans Grinch sequence? I found xLights sequences but none for the LOR CBT16PC controllers. If you did and willing to share please email me  at knob1@sky.com

If you read the post right above yours you may see the reason a lot of us stopped sharing.

Some ruin it for all, it’s the sad truth.

JR

3 hours ago, rknoblauch said:

And if you didn't quite follow what JR means, the issue is many of us used to share our sequences with others, but some of these "others" stole the sequences and sold them on places like E-Bay and other sequence selling sites, claiming it was their work, others received the sequence and then turned around and shared it with unauthorized users, that is they shared it with others WITHOUT getting the author of the original sequence{s} permission to share it/them.

This is why it's getting a bit more difficult to find folks that are willing to share sequences freely now, and if they do, it may only be a specific part/component of one.  And then you have to type in a waiver that you won't sell, or share any part or all of the sequence to anyone, and this also includes any modifications you may make to the original without getting their permission to share it with others.  You could only share the PART you made, but not any modified part the original sequencer had done and you changed/modified.

Like JR said, because of the bad ones, sadly it has come to this.  As these folks need to protect their work, and if one is not willing to type in such a waiver and sign it {just requires typing your name after it}, then they won't send the sequence out until you take that step.

You'll have to look in the Sequence Sharing area of the forum for the particulars of what each sequencer requires for the statement needed to get a sequence sent from them.

Again, it's sad it had to go this way, but as the old saying goes, only takes one bad apple to ruin the entire barrel.   Unfortunately there are a lot of bad apples that made sequence shares almost a thing of the past now.

Good luck on finding the sequence you're looking for.

• Like 1

Everybody is sharing the reasons why they do not share... Which kind of defeats the purpose of this Sharing Section... the truth be told with shared or purchased sequences is several.

1) your prop layout will not match the new sequence.

2) your prop definitions will not match the new sequence.

3) the new sequence may look good for their display - but may not look as good with your display

4) the shared or purchased sequence really just becomes a guide, you can try to follow - not your show...

5) Unless you duplicate the exact layout of the shared or purchased sequence - you will have to customize it to make it your show anyway...

6) Unless you are using the exact same media file and audio duration then the sequence timing will be off..

So in closing a Shared or Purchased Sequence will always be just a Donor Sequence, giving you a little head start.. But, long arms get in the way of that..

The two consistent items between most sequences is Singing Faces and Mega Trees - they share and integrate easily into your display - the other props not so much, and you will find a lot of archived props in yours

Edited by KYHI

2 hours ago, KYHI said:

Everybody is sharing the reasons why they do not share... Which kind of defeats the purpose of this Sharing Section... the truth be told with shared or purchased sequences is several.

3) the new sequence may look good for their display - but may not look as good with your display

4) the shared or purchased sequence really just becomes a guide, you can try to follow - not your show...

5) Unless you duplicate the exact layout of the shared or purchased sequence - you will have to customize it to make it your show anyway...

6) Unless you are using the exact same media file and audio duration then the sequence timing will be off..

So in closing a Shared or Purchased Sequence will always be just a Donor Sequence, giving you a little head start.. But, long arms get in the way of that..

The two consistent items between most sequences is Singing Faces and Mega Trees - they share and integrate easily into your display - the other props not so much, and you will find a lot of archived props in yours

First off, like I stated in my explaination, many still do share a part or the full sequence, so I({we} have not defeated the purpose of the Sequence Sharing  forum.   But to get that sequence, the requester now has to take some additional steps to qualify to receive it.

However, I do agree that ANY sequence one may receive or buy IS a starting point, becauser just as you stated, every display is different and so my sequence isn't going to match someone elses.   Even if we are using some of the same items, like RGB lights along a roof-line, my set up in how they react may look good for my setting, but may look completely out of order on someone elses roof-line, strands aren't set in the same manner, longer or shorter runs of the strands along the roof-line or even in the yard, mine might look terrible on someone elses yard, but they work just fine in mine.

So on that I can agree.   However, with purchased sequences, you aren't allowed to share any part of those, so even if you copied and modified a purchased sequence and it was used in YOUR sequence, that is still not allowed!   And most bought sequneces are encoded with some type of code, so the company will know exactly who bought and shared it by this hidden number.   Not sure, since I've never bought or used a purchased sequence, but I think the lighting commands in those sequences may also include this same type coding setup, so the company may still know if you used any of their original commands copied to another.   And that's why, even if you use a purchased sequence you SHOULD NEVER SHARE IT, otherwise you might find yourself on the end of a legal battle with the company that sold it.

So even if I purchased a sequence and copied some of their lighting commands into mine, I'd need to strip those particular lighting commands from that sequence before I could legally share it.  

Just have to be mindful of what you're sharing, as long as it was 100% created by you from the ground up, if you wish to share it, by all means do so.   But heed what I stated in my post above about the bad apples!

Edited by Orville
Fix a few typo's.

2 hours ago, KYHI said:

the truth be told with shared or purchased sequences is several.

All true.

2 hours ago, KYHI said:

#6 is easy.  In most cases, shared or purchased sequences will specify exactly what media file to use.  For example, supply a link to the purchase the song from Amazon or other music purchase site.

I'm very open about the fact that for most of the sequences I use, I purchased the sequence for my pixel tree, and then I use that sequence as a pattern to sequence the rest of my yard around that sequence's color and motions.  I still figure that it takes me close to 50 hours to adjust the purchased sequence to fit my 26 x 100 pixel tree, and add the rest of the yard.

One other thing to note about shared or purchased sequences.  It gives an opportunity to learn how to sequence.  What I mean by that is you get to see how an expert did certain effects.  I have purchased sequences from several sources and certain functions are done very differently between those sources.  I employ those functions to make my sequences - or the portions of sequences.

29 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

One other thing to note about shared or purchased sequences.  It gives an opportunity to learn how to sequence.  What I mean by that is you get to see how an expert did certain effects.

And Thanks to only one person > Kurt Hassler of www.woodleahillslights.com - for sharing his whole sequence - I was giving that Opportunity........

Edited by KYHI

2 hours ago, Orville said:

First off, like I stated in my explaination, many still do share a part or the full sequence, so I({we} have not defeated the purpose of the Sequence Sharing  forum.   But to get that sequence, the requester now has to take some additional steps to qualify to receive it.

However, I do agree that ANY sequence one may receive or buy IS a starting point, becauser just as you stated, every display is different and so my sequence isn't going to match someone elses.   Even if we are using some of the same items, like RGB lights along a roof-line, my set up in how they react may look good for my setting, but may look completely out of order on someone elses roof-line, strands aren't set in the same manner, longer or shorter runs of the strands along the roof-line or even in the yard, mine might look terrible on someone elses yard, but they work just fine in mine.

So on that I can agree.   However, with purchased sequences, you aren't allowed to share any part of those, so even if you copied and modified a purchased sequence and it was used in YOUR sequence, that is still not allowed!   And most bought sequneces are encoded with some type of code, so the company will know exactly who bought and shared it by this hidden number.   Not sure, since I've never bought or used a purchased sequence, but I think the lighting commands in those sequences may also include this same type coding setup, so the company may still know if you used any of their original commands copied to another.   And that's why, even if you use a purchased sequence you SHOULD NEVER SHARE IT, otherwise you might find yourself on the end of a legal battle with the company that sold it.

So even if I purchased a sequence and copied some of their lighting commands into mine, I'd need to strip those particular lighting commands from that sequence before I could legally share it.  

Just have to be mindful of what you're sharing, as long as it was 100% created by you from the ground up, if you wish to share it, by all means do so.   But heed what I stated in my post above about the bad apples!

My friend, don't get all wrapped up in what KY s reply. 

Most of us long term users know the deal.

Non "purchased" sequence are still "intellectual property" and every sharing post I created even before I created the sharing agreement states, that the sequences are not be shared. Also Sharers and sellers please don't ask. I believe I started that in 2016 when I discovered the first person trying to sell my sequence.

JR

4 hours ago, KYHI said:

No matter what or who you are addressing this to, you don't have a clue. This is why I stopped helping you.

Whether you realize this or not, share "whole" sequences with RGB included, well not any more unless I really know the person. My great friend James shares the full sequence to every face sequence I sequence with all LED props. LOL 

No matter how you slice it, a shared sequence is covered under "Intellectual Property " google it. No matter how it gets shared, accidentally or willfully it is still wrong without permission from the individual that produced it. Very few have that right with any of mine and they know who they are.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

All true.

#6 is easy.  In most cases, shared or purchased sequences will specify exactly what media file to use.  For example, supply a link to the purchase the song from Amazon or other music purchase site.

I'm very open about the fact that for most of the sequences I use, I purchased the sequence for my pixel tree, and then I use that sequence as a pattern to sequence the rest of my yard around that sequence's color and motions.  I still figure that it takes me close to 50 hours to adjust the purchased sequence to fit my 26 x 100 pixel tree, and add the rest of the yard.

One other thing to note about shared or purchased sequences.  It gives an opportunity to learn how to sequence.  What I mean by that is you get to see how an expert did certain effects.  I have purchased sequences from several sources and certain functions are done very differently between those sources.  I employ those functions to make my sequences - or the portions of sequences.

Actually a good sequencer can make any donor sequence look good in their props no matter what they are. I do this all of the time with my old LED sequences plugging them in to my RGB props. I have also done that with the few sequences I have traded sequences for with another good friend here. This is why my new threads say "Now Trading" instead of "Now Sharing" like the other 400 or so sequences I shared.

I think the trading thing is a better fit. Maybe more people will start trying to sequence to trade for faces they are looking for.

JR

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

My friend, don't get all wrapped up in what KY s reply. 

Most of us long term users know the deal.

Non "purchased" sequence are still "intellectual property" and every sharing post I created even before I created the sharing agreement states, that the sequences are not be shared. Also Sharers and sellers please don't ask. I believe I started that in 2016 when I discovered the first person trying to sell my sequence.

JR

You know how it is JR.  That was my last post on this aspect anyway.    At least you and I are on the same page.

For those folks on these boards that share their expertise, sequences, or even encouragement -  especially with the novice folks - I say THANK YOU!    I've proudly bragged for several years now that this is a tight group of very smart folks that jump to help within moments - anytime 24/7/365.   I feel privileged to be a small part of this Awesome group of legends.

I wholeheartedly respect all of those that have given us solid advice and guidance over the years too, we couldn't have done it without you.   YOU've make this hobby stronger and better every year by freely sharing you knowledge.  

There are bad actors out there with low values/morals, and unfortunately there always will be.  Their behavior is nothing short of theft and disrespect.  That said, I'd really hate to see this group drawn down to the lowest standard because of those people.       

• Like 2

And Now we have the response from three forum experts as to "This OP" SHARING request...

It is "Intellectual Property "

Edited by KYHI

1 hour ago, KYHI said:

And Now we have the response from three forum experts as to "This OP" SHARING request...

It is "Intellectual Property "

You need to learn how to read and sequence, I guess.

The OPs request was legit!

The very next post states that “if he finds it, he will share it” which generates my reply.

Then your comment solidifies how you would treat a shared sequence.

Yes, hopefully those long arms extend to you and anyone else who could care less about sharing other peoples work.

You are trying to guilt members with 1000’s of posts and who normally help everyone that asks many years over your few months , LOL/SMH

Good luck in your lighting endeavors.

JR

I will say that the concerns raised on this board has stopped me from sharing almost anything with anyone else. 

Very few of my sequences started from scratch.   I typically look for some examples that someone else has done, mostly to get the beats and main pieces and then I copy paste those across.   Even though most of these do not come with a "no share" clause, since I can't be sure where the original posters got it from, I don't want to accidently share someone's work.  I had seen this on the Facebook forum where someone had been sharing someone else's work without even realizing it.  

Over the last couple of years, I have got a few files from JR and while I have never used them as is, I have copied bits and pieces into my versions.   Those pieces might later get copied into another sequence I am doing and its gets hard to remember where everything comes from.   Did that graphic or superstar sequence come from here or there?   Since I can't be sure, better to not share it. 

The exception was for "It's raining Tacos" because everything I did from the ground up, although those are really the exception. 

I was explaining reason why a Shared or Purchased Sequence will need to be customized to your preview away... So it really would not be a practical option...

JR. you read a lot more into it then was there... Two others agreed with my post and you confirmed the Doner status of any sequence... Yet I am confused as to the insulting and name calling and assumptive manner displayed towards a different point of view..

Edited by KYHI

On 3/18/2021 at 7:52 AM, KYHI said:

) your prop layout will not match the new sequence.

1 Answer to all of this is...

Who cares what the layout is. Who cares what the prop definition is.

I can take a plain basic single 16 channel controller sequence and make my entire show with RGB, channel level enabled and everything. And make it perfect.... IF that person who created the sequence has their timings on point.

a person can do anything they want to with proper timing. No matter the house layout. No matter the prop def. this whole thing is TIMING. 

But you are right. singers and SS sequences are a little different. tons of people just don’t bother putting in the time to learn. That’s what’s wrong with today’s society. Scared to work and just too lazy.

this is year going to be slack for me because why? Because of work. This is a hobby for me. Just like all the rest of us. But a person can’t just be given everything all the time. 

do what your good at. And offer it as a trade for what you are weak on. and #1, there is always someone higher up. There is always someone better. Y are they better? Because they worked at it. 

Anyone has a right to share or not to. And the ones who have been for so long are tired of getting run over. I don’t blame them. 

13 hours ago, KYHI said:

I was explaining reason why a Shared or Purchased Sequence will need to be customized to your preview away... So it really would not be a practical option...

JR. you read a lot more into it then was there... Two others agreed with my post and you confirmed the Doner status of any sequence... Yet I am confused as to the insulting and name calling and assumptive manner displayed towards a different point of view..

Last reply to your comments in this thread.

Just to clear this part up.

At no time in this thread have I called you a name! Not who i am.

But I do call it how I see it without sugar coating. 

Your comment about a shared or purchased sequence “not being practical” well several of us have already addressed that. It’s all about “sequencing basics” and knowing how to sequence by applying ones self.

Must be 1000’s of impractical sequencers out there. If not my comment about selling and sharing others work would never have had to be stated.

JR

Thank you to all who replied and I see there is a lot of passion on this topic. I see the issues associated with sharing sequences, I never considered selling someone else's hard work. I have little to no creativity when comes to sequencing and truly appreciate those who can. That said, it is sad that there are people out there who will sell shared sequences and ruin for those of us who need a little help. Again, thank to all for the replies.

• Thanks 1