Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple networks

Thebug

So this year is the first year that I have decided to try and run pixels with my show. I have a mixture of older (red light) and newer (green light) AC light controllers. I know that i cannot run the old controllers on an enhanced Network. The pixle controller i have is a pixie 8. For the pixle board i have a red converter its called comm 6. I have another open usb port and when I connect it up its comm 5. I was trying to do some testing with both setups plugged in and when one set ran the other would not.  

How do i set up 2 networks one with my pixle controllers and a second one with the ac controllers?

Edited by Thebug

3 minutes ago, Thebug said:

So this year is the first year that I have decided to try and run pixels with my show. I have a mixture of older (red light) and newer (green light) AC light controllers. I know that i cannot run the old controllers on an enhanced Network. 

Is there a way to set up 2 networks one with my pixle controllers and a second one with the ac controllers?

If running from a computer, it's easy, you just need a 2nd adapter, a red high speed adapter for the Pixie Controllers and a black adapter for the older CTB16PC Controllers {V1 or V2 type, red L.E.D.}   Then you have to set up the 2nd network in the Network Preferences software and make any appropriate changes to your sequences to match.

If using a Director, you need a multi port Director like the N4-G4 MP3 Director, the mini director as far as I know is not capable of multiple networks.  But don't quote me on that, since the Directors have gone through several changes, but I'm close to sure the mini director is still only single network capable.

Since you didn't say how you were setting your shows up, computer or Director, gave you the info on what I know about each.

50 minutes ago, Thebug said:

Using a computer 

Then you could have as many Networks as you have USB ports.   All you need is a separate RS485 adapter for each port, for RGB you need the Red HS Adapter, for older V1 or V2 CTB16PC AC Controllers {Red L.E.D.}, a black RS485 adapter will do.  Just know which comm port each adapter is on and keep them in the same USB port.  Once known, mark them with a sharpie so you know what network and comm port they're on.  And connect the appropriate controllers to each adapter.

Set your comm ports, networks {Regular for V1/V2 CTB16PC} black adapter max 115K speed and usually comm3.   Comm4 will be Aux A, 500K and Enhanced for most RGB controllers.  Set these in the Network preferences software.

Then set your controllers and networks up in the sequencer itself.  You can change an entire controllers settings in the Channel Config area.

Once you get that set up, then export your channel config.   Now to update all your other sequences to your new network settings, load each sequence, then import the updated Channel Config file into the sequence, save and all should be good to go.

If you need additional information or help getting this accomplished, just ask.

Ok I'm doing something wrong. 

I've gone into network preferences and set regular to comm port 5. speed 57.6k. Then on aux a is comm 6 speed 500.0k enhanced.

In pixel editor the prop definition is set to Network aux a. 

In sequence editor the ac controllers are set to regular network. 

When I enable the show only the ac lights in regular Network work. If I open pixel editor and press play the pixel matrix works. 

I have observed that whichever comm I set as "regular" works but the "aux A" does not drive lights. I have set both the AC and RGBs as the regular network and aux a 

I also tried playing from the sequence editor and same results 

Grrrrrrrrr ::hair pulling motion:: 

Edited by Thebug

Did you also set Aux A in the Sequence Editor?   If not, it's never going to work.   When I create my sequences for my Director, I have 4 Networks, Regular, Aux A, Aux B and Aux C, Regular 115K Comm3, Aux A, 500K, Enhanced, Comm4 in my network preferences, however, I don't have USB RS485 adapters for Aux B or Aux C {which I don't need any adapters for my Director, as these are set in the Hub}, so my Aux B is Enhanced and 1,000K for my 2 Pixie2D controllers, Aux C, Enhanced and 500K for my older CCB100D controllers that run my RGB Trellis and RGB Ramp Lights.

So in my sequences I have 4 networks set up, even though I only have 2 USB RS485 adapters, again, because I'm using a Director and not a computer to run my show.

So in your sequence, your RGB lights if on Aux A, should be listed in your sequence channel config for each controller that will be on that network.   If Aux A is not found anywhere in your sequence, but you have it defined in Network Preference, you won't get any lights until you establish which controllers are on Aux A.   It has to be in BOTH the Network preferences and in the SE as well as the PE.

Well this is embarrassing. I didn't save the intensity data files.

Thankyou so much orville for your help with the Network side  of things

Edited by Thebug

• The topic was locked