Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter Delay

Cowlerc

Hi,

firstly I need to say that I’m new to this and audio transmission is not something I know anything about.

Ok that out the way.

I've set up my system, that this year has singing faces and also outdoor speakers for sound. In addition I decided to set up and use for the first time the FM transmitter that came with my LOR showtime director 3 years ago.

Anyway, I’ve noticed that I’ve got about a 1-1.5 sec delay on the audio coming from a car radio compared to the audio from the speakers and the mouth movements of the singing faces.

Obviously this is almost unworkable and I’m sure it must be something I’ve done wrong.

The connection is line out from the computer to a splitter cable, that then sends the signal to the line in on the amp for the speakers and the line in on the FM transmitter.

The only other point worth mentioning is the fact the fm transmitter is indoors however the radio signal in the car is clear as a bell just delayed, so I can’t think it’s that.

Anyway, I really need some advice on this so if anyone can point me in the correct direction it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

8 minutes ago, Cowlerc said:

Anyway, I’ve noticed that I’ve got about a 1-1.5 sec delay on the audio coming from a car radio compared to the audio from the speakers and the mouth movements of the singing faces.

That problem is in the stereo receiver in your car - NOT your transmit system.

Unfortunately a lot of high end car stereos these days have built in buffering.  Check your owner's manual to see if it mentions a way to eliminate that - often referred to as Drive in theater mode.

You can not compensate for that in your transmit system - nor should you.  If you were to modify all your sequences to make it right on your car, it would be wrong for everyone else.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That problem is in the stereo receiver in your car - NOT your transmit system.

Unfortunately a lot of high end car stereos these days have built in buffering.  Check your owner's manual to see if it mentions a way to eliminate that - often referred to as Drive in theater mode.

You can not compensate for that in your transmit system - nor should you.  If you were to modify all your sequences to make it right on your car, it would be wrong for everyone else.

My new truck the audio lags the show. I noticed it last Christmas when pulling in to the driveway. The faces were way off. Went in and double checked everything. Went out with my hand held radio- perfect- got back in the truck laggy.

Makes me wonder how many people with new cars see that and think, what a bad job.

I am putting a disclaimer in y MIIP for that as well as on my tune to matrix as well.

JR

Ever walk up to the TV display in a Big Box Store?

There is a reason only One (brand) has the sound turned up... Delays are all over the place unlike Analog TV, where the signal went direct to the Amplifier.

Thanks very much for your prompt replies it saved me a great deal of time trying to troubleshoot. My problem was that I didn’t own an FM radio other than in my car so was testing there. I borrowed a radio yesterday to test and you were spot on, no lag.

So it’s just in the cars but that makes me wonder how useful the transmitter is in practical terms.

However, regardless of that I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and help me out.

Take care and stay safe.

Chris

Chris.  I don't own a car that has that issue (my truck is a 2003), but from what I understand, all or at least most of them do have a mode that eliminates the lag.  But it's likely buried deep in the owners manual.  As I said in my first reply, I hear it is often called "Drive in theater" mode - since that also would require real time audio.  Unfortunately it's something we have zero control over and there are people who just never want to admit that a problem is theirs to fix.

By the way, this is the same reason that we can't stream the audio - and yes, it gets asked for regularly.  Only difference is that with streaming, the delay is usually more like 15 to 45 seconds.

JR, good idea on the announcement on MIIP.  I will put a similar announcement on my MIIP page, and I already did on my show website.

• The topic was locked