Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to connect CTB16PC (the starter pack 16 channel controller) through powerline adapters from TP link no connection

Rhizzlebop

HI,  Hoping someone has dealt with this.
I set everything up last night in one room to test 2 faces.   Light controller connected through USB dongle to ethernet, and all works well. C ontroller is found on Comm 3.

However, I got a set of TP Link Powerline adapters becasue I want to put this controller on another floor about 40 ft away (testing in ONE ROOM however).   I paired the network powerline devices, and they seem paired.  However, when Iconnect the ehternet cord from my dongle, to the first adapter, and then ethernet from the second adapter to the light controller, it doesn't find the controller in hardware utility at all.

There is an ethernet activity light on the powerline adapters, and that third light for ethernet activity NEVER turns on.   Seems like somehow the USB dongle isn't pushing packets to that powerline device.

Not sure what to do,  TP link doesn't know.    My internet on this PC runs through wifi to my apple airport routed, a completely separate network essentially.  Not sure if I should connect the powerline adapter to my router port, and somehow reconfigure the light controller to NOT go through USB?  or does HAVE to go through USB?

Thanks for anyone who can help.   

Edited by Rhizzlebop

NO No No, unplug it all RIGHT NOW before you read on.

LOR RS 485 from the USB adaptor is NOT ethernet and is incompatible. You CANNOT attach the adaptor to a home network LAN or Device.

Has to go through USB using a long cable or ELL wireless transmitters from LOR. They only work on low speed LOR networks.

Hope you have not let the magic smoke leak out.

IMHO LOR Really needs to put Stickers inside enclosures or over the RJ45 (remember when computer equipment covered the EIA socket with yellow tape: Set Vottage?)

DO NOT connect to Ethernet Ports ('ever')

Pins 3 & 6 are the ones that might have issues (9V and Gnd). EIA568, the Blu pair, was not used for for 10/100 Ethernet. Only later did these see usage for 1G and early POE schemes

25 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Wouldn't hurt.

I think I have seen at least 5 folk in the last month that have done this.

(It also shows the tendency to just grab an plug things in. Same kind of stuff happened many years back when designers started using RJ11 (because they are cheap), for other than phones)

Ok,  THANK YOU.   All seems fine.
I unplugged it a while ago.

I'm listening to my sequence right now, so the controller is fine and working.

My two paths are, convince my wife that a 100ft ethernet cable strung from my office, up the foyer wall, down the hall and in the back room where the controller is going is a GOOD idea for 8 weeks duration.

OR

I'm gonna try installing LOR S4 on my little netbook, 1.6 ghz 2gig ram, and see if it will play the sequence.  Then that laptop will just live up there with the controller.

You can have up to 5 installs (save some for future PC upgrades)

S4 and S5 are not the same set of sequence files. Both should be the same release 4.x or 5.x

18 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

You can have up to 5 installs (save some for future PC upgrades)

S4 and S5 are not the same set of sequence files. Both should be the same release 4.x or 5.x

Right.  I initially put S5 on my main laptop but was lost so I uninstalled it and put S4.   So will try S4 on my netbook.   Does any instance of install mean I’ve used a license even if I removed it?    So i would already used 2 on one install uninstall then install S4 and if I add S4 to netbook I’d be used 3? 

we will see how this goes.    It’s crazy I have to go direct Ethernet this far to use main pc.  Dunno if they make a long distance USB simulator to do the same distance bridge thing or not

16 minutes ago, Rhizzlebop said:

Right.  I initially put S5 on my main laptop but was lost so I uninstalled it and put S4.   So will try S4 on my netbook.   Does any instance of install mean I’ve used a license even if I removed it?    So i would already used 2 on one install uninstall then install S4 and if I add S4 to netbook I’d be used 3? 

we will see how this goes.    It’s crazy I have to go direct Ethernet this far to use main pc.  Dunno if they make a long distance USB simulator to do the same distance bridge thing or not

USB is supposed to be 16' max

I have a set of adapters I bought on Amazon that uses a standard CAT5 cable (again, not Ethernet) for extended length. I really don't think this would survive at the data rates LOR needs.

I used a netbook for a couple of seasons in 2010, worked ok with 2 ac boxes. Show player is not so demanding as sequenceing.

That was on S4, or possibly S3 though.

Please get in the habit of calling the cable cat 5. It is used for ethernet, of course, but it may confuse others into plugging it into the wrong port.

RS 485 is good for 4000 ft, so a hundred foot cat 5 will be fine from the adaptor to the first controller 

Once you install a seat on a machine it lives on forever. If you run out of seats quick help ticket will usually get you more.

Thanks all

working on setting up the netbook to give it a try now. If this works I’ll just run the show there. I am only on S4 and only running 2 little 8 channel faces (16) so my sequence files are pretty small (that other wonderful forum people have shared tI me). 

I could see for sure if I had large files and many many channels etc I’d for sure need something more powerful.  For now I’m holding out hope this little netbook will do it. 

any advice on any settings that are recommended to help?  Aka load files upon use or prior to or anything that will help? 

I do really think it should be more clear that an RJ45 jack doesn’t mean it’s ethernet and a LANWAN protocol.  

anyhow I’ll let y’all know as soon as I find out. And thanks again 

9 minutes ago, Rhizzlebop said:

any advice on any settings that are recommended to help?  Aka load files upon use or prior to or anything that will help? 

Use compressed files, right click on control panel. First time through it will take a little longer to do the compression, after that, should be good.

I don't like the load all first option. I much prefer load as needed. A lot depends on file size and memory, but load first just doesn't work very well IMO.

Phil, I’m not following you’re compressed file suggestion.   

Pare you saying it as a general help or might that allow the netbook to work?

i can’t get any actions to the controller from the netbook.  Hardware found it on a comm.  but test lights buttons don’t test anything and trying a show schedule start does nothing.  

Im down to 150 ft Ethernet I bought from amazon to be strung all through the house. 

Turning on file compression is a benefit on any machine. I used it when I used a netbook. That was on XP with 1GB as I recall.

Did you look in device manager for the com port assigned to the adaptor. Have you installed the drivers, and did you install them first before plugging in the adaptor.

If you plugged the adaptor in first, windows MAY have installed generic drivers which wont work.

You should see the adaptor appear in DM when you plug it in. Get the com port number and set that in HU.

• The topic was locked