Light-O-Rama Forums

Unknown device - intermittent

metallus2000

My set-up is 500k enhanced. I have the network cable going into first box set-up is:

12V Pixie 16 - 5 V Pixie 16 - 12v Pixie 16 - 6 each CCB-100 5v. All cat5 serial connected. Last box is terminated.

When setting up, under the hardware discovery, I occasionally get "unknown device." It could be any of the above, usually not on specific.

Am I connecting too many, of different types?

1 hour ago, metallus2000 said:

My set-up is 500k enhanced. I have the network cable going into first box set-up is:

12V Pixie 16 - 5 V Pixie 16 - 12v Pixie 16 - 6 each CCB-100 5v. All cat5 serial connected. Last box is terminated.

When setting up, under the hardware discovery, I occasionally get "unknown device." It could be any of the above, usually not on specific.

Depends on how many pixels those pixies have. I would never recommend more than 1800. On a network. 

JR

4 hours ago, metallus2000 said:

Is it always all the controllers that give that "Unknown Device" randomly, or it only specific ones that it happens with.

Either way, either all or those specific controllers may need a firmware update.  I was having that issue with some of my CCB100D Controllers, purchased used, and they didn't have the latest firmware, was also using a newer version {Not S5} of the LOR Software than what I had been when this started happening to me.

Once I updated all my RGB Controllers to the newest firmware, I haven't seen the "Unknown Device" issue for a very long time.   It could still possibly happen again at some point, as sometimes it may crop up with no rhyme or reason.  And usually a simple refresh will fix it, but if persistent, I'd strongly guess a firmware update may be needed.

Edited by Orville

I found I had  bought some really lousy mini-CAT5 patch cables from Amazon. I frequently saw this  (and the LED in some controllers would be blinking) I also had done proper termination.

I finally cut the cable and jacket back. almost NO Twists on the Blu and Brown pair (we use the Blue). Normal CAT5 has at least 1+ twist per INCH on all pairs.

These all 'passed'  on a common VDV continuity - pinout tester

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I found I had  bought some really lousy mini-CAT5 patch cables from Amazon. I frequently saw this  (and the LED in some controllers would be blinking) I also had done proper termination.

I finally cut the cable and jacket back. almost NO Twists on the Blu and Brown pair (we use the Blue). Normal CAT5 has at least 1+ twist per INCH on all pairs.

These all 'passed'  on a common VDV continuity - pinout tester

Thanks. I will replace one at a time, and see what happens. Thanks

4 hours ago, Orville said:

Is it always all the controllers that give that "Unknown Device" randomly, or it only specific ones that it happens with.

Either way, either all or those specific controllers may need a firmware update.  I was having that issue with some of my CCB100D Controllers, purchased used, and they didn't have the latest firmware, was also using a newer version {Not S5} of the LOR Software than what I had been when this started happening to me.

Once I updated all my RGB Controllers to the newest firmware, I haven't seen the "Unknown Device" issue for a very long time.   It could still possibly happen again at some point, as sometimes it may crop up with no rhyme or reason.  And usually a simple refresh will fix it, but if persistent, I'd strongly guess a firmware update may be needed.

Thanks. I will try that today. I’ll post my findings.

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Depends on how many pixels those pixies have. I would never recommend more than 1800. On a network. 

JR

I have two networks. I am over. I’ll separate the 12 and 5 v. So my homework for today. Update, separate, and check for bad cat 5. Thanks all...

8 hours ago, Orville said:

Well, I updated the ccb100D's to the newest firmware, same issue. On to network separation.

In other, unfortunate new, I decided to do a firmware update on two of my Pixie 16's running ver 1.04 -1.06. I am getting a bootloader error, and the reset procedure, and connecting directly to the computer, won't reset them.

35 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

Well, I updated the ccb100D's to the newest firmware, same issue. On to network separation.

In other, unfortunate new, I decided to do a firmware update on two of my Pixie 16's running ver 1.04 -1.06. I am getting a bootloader error, and the reset procedure, and connecting directly to the computer, won't reset them.

Been there

ISOLATE (only device on network you are loading from):  Set the correct COM#: Refresh: ignore the Bootloader message and UPDATE to any device (Step1: only one unit connected)

14 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Been there

ISOLATE (only device on network you are loading from):  Set the correct COM#: Refresh: ignore the Bootloader message and UPDATE to any device (Step1: only one unit connected)

Tried it. When I hit download, it crashes the HW Utility.

6 hours ago, metallus2000 said:

Tried it. When I hit download, it crashes the HW Utility.

OK...fixed it. I contacted the Helpdesk, and here's what they told me:

"Hi, based on the bug you have run into, I assume you are using the latest version of s5 (5.5.14). To attempt to fix this there are 2 options you can try: First, try reloading 1.04, then load 1.05, and then load 1.06.
If the hardware utility still crashes you can try this: Install version 5.5.6 of s5 (use windows add/remove programs to uninstall the newer version) and then load 1.06.
If you do not want to uninstall and reinstall and etc., I can email you the 5.5.6 version of the Hardware Utility (this can still be used while the 5.5.14 is installed). If you want me to send this version, or are still having issues, please let me know."

I uninstalled .14 and installed 5.5.6. That did the trick.

On 11/17/2020 at 11:45 PM, dibblejr said:

JR

Discovered something interesting. To fix the bootloader issue, the Helpdesk recommended I go back to 5.5.6, which I did, and it fixed the bootloader error. I then used the hardware tool, and every controller showed up properly. Since I had 5.5.14 prior, I decided to re-upgrade back to the highest level. I got "undiscovered devices," again. Back to 5.5.6, everything was fine. I should know not to upgrade to newest version, this close to Christmas. I notified the Helpdesk of my findings. Back on track for my shows :-)

Edited by metallus2000
additional important information

• 2 weeks later...

I was just having similar issues.  Did a refresh network in HU and it found eight units (with the correct unit IDs) but it said 'Unknown Device' for each unit.

I changed the 'max unit ID' setting to 20 and didn't get the errors.  Note, I'm using 5.3.14.

Hopefully all is well

28 minutes ago, Cajun Cheesehead said:

I was just having similar issues.  Did a refresh network in HU and it found eight units (with the correct unit IDs) but it said 'Unknown Device' for each unit.

I changed the 'max unit ID' setting to 20 and didn't get the errors.  Note, I'm using 5.3.14.

Hopefully all is well

Last one in my id setting is 50. The last controller starts at 38. Might be the issue. I'll bump up the number. But, last time I did it, I got all units...