Light-O-Rama Forums

Thinking of RGB...

kzziboy

Yet another question...

It's concerning using the USB adapter.  It says this right on the USB485-HS page:

"The USB485-HS is the choice when you plan to use the highest speed (500K) for your LOR network. The other LOR USB adapters were designed for speeds of 250K or less. However they appear to work well at 500K so if you have a working 500K network using one of the other USB adapters there is no need to change."

So is that basically saying since I have a USB485 that I should be fine?

Thanks once again!

4 minutes ago, kzziboy said:

Yet another question...

It's concerning using the USB adapter.  It says this right on the USB485-HS page:

"The USB485-HS is the choice when you plan to use the highest speed (500K) for your LOR network. The other LOR USB adapters were designed for speeds of 250K or less. However they appear to work well at 500K so if you have a working 500K network using one of the other USB adapters there is no need to change."

So is that basically saying since I have a USB485 that I should be fine?

Thanks once again!

Do you feel lucky (and have time and the high shipping charge handy) if it does not work for you?

19 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

For $2 difference between the two, there is little point in ever buying the black one.

Yes, there is, but you need the RS485B {Booster} adapter, this is so if you have any type of MP3 Director unit, it can get it's power from the black RS485B adapter for setting the time{if the type with a real time clock} via the HU or to update it's firmware without the need of an 12VDC power wall wart or plugging in an CTB16PC controller to supply power to it if you didn't buy the optional adapter.

So there is still a need for the old black adapter with power boost {RS485B} as the red HS adapter WILL NOT power an MP3 Director.

11 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Correct.  A license upgrade also counts as a renewal.  And yes, $120 from Basic Plus to Pro.  Note that your profile is showing a Basic - not a Basic plus.  If you really have a Basic, the upgrade to Pro is $140.

And I Agree, stay with S4 or even your S3 this year, and launch into S5 after the new year.  Big learning curve.

Depending on his RGB Controller type{s}, the OP's going to need S4.4.2 {I think that's the lowest one he could use, I'd recommend S4.4.10} as some aspects to the RGB controller are not accessible in the HU for anything lower than a specific version of S4.    Just read it in the manual that came with my Singing LOR Trees, but can't recall the exact LOR S4 version is stated was the earliest one that would work in setting up and configuring some of the RGB Controllers, Like the Pixies.   And if the OP is accustomed to S3, the migration to S4 shouldn't be very difficult at all.   However, S5 I wouldn't even attempt this late in the game, steep learning curve and very complex compared to any of the Pre-S5 versions.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:59 AM, k6ccc said:

That depends on the controller.  As I recall, the Pixie controllers can do 170 pixels per string.  There are some controllers that can handle over 1,000 per string.  That is the numbers of pixels that the controller can drive data for.  Even with a 170 pixel limit of a Pixie controller, at 100%, you can't supply the power for 170 pixels from the controller without using Power Injection.  PI is not especially difficult, but it adds a layer of complication.

I liked this to bump you to 1000! 

k6ccc999.jpg ->k6ccc1000.jpg

Edited by ItsMeBobO

4 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I liked this to bump you to 1000! 

k6ccc999.jpg ->k6ccc1000.jpg

Gee thanks Bob!  I knew the big 1,000 was coming up.