Light-O-Rama Forums

Unable to get both traditional and pixels working at the same time

Lawmanoftx

Have been using S4 with the LOR 16 controllers for the last couple of years. Decided to add some pixels to the mix with the LOR pixel tree kit. First had to update to S5 pro. Then had to update my computer to be able to run the software. After much playing around and researching, I have open the sequencer with music. The 3 controllers with traditional lights hooked up to them (configured as #1 thru 3) will light up on network port com3 at 57.6K, but not the pixel tree controller (configured as #4). I get the message: 

The following items have motion effects that cannot be played because they are on an LOR network that is not enhanced.
Either disable controlling lights, update the Prop Definition, update Network Preferences, or remove the motion effects.

Prop: Pixel Tree 16x25-Left (16x25) - Regular

I then will go into network preferences and check the enhance option just to have the pixels work but not the other lights. Can anybody tell me what step I am missing or what I am doing wrong? Based off of the LOR website, everything is supposed to mesh together.

It all works together, but it's not just a matter of placing it all on one USB adapter.
Check out this page. It shows the network speeds of controllers, directors and USB adapters. If everything you have aligns in one of the columns, speed wise, then you can run them on a single 'network' aka Adapter.

If not, then you need to run them on separate adapters. Then you'd have to adjust your networks in the Preview (S5) to tell the software that X devices are on X network.

Best guess is your AC controllers cannot handle the 500k enhanced speed. I believe the controllers must be V3 or above to handle those speeds. You may need to get a second USB485 adapter and run 2 networks as mentioned above. 

Edited by c7williams

I am having issues with the exact same thing, but I did have to update the firmware on my controllers so that they would run on the 500k enhanced network because they are a few years old. If you have the G3 16 channel controllers you can find the firmware on LOR’s website. Hopefully that will fix your problem! 

Does anyone know if you have to have the HS red USB to RS485 converter to run a pixie8? In the link Don provided above it looks like it will not work on the 500k enhanced network but in the instruction sheet it says it could work...

5 minutes ago, NewBraunfelsLights said:

Does anyone know if you have to have the HS red USB to RS485 converter to run a pixie8? In the link Don provided above it looks like it will not work on the 500k enhanced network but in the instruction sheet it says it could work...

The Pixie 8 NEEDS a red adapter (and 500K+)

The Red adapter will run any speed. AFAIK the Color has no effect on Enhanced. That is strictly the requirement of the Devices and usage (Interactive input = NO Enhanced)

40 minutes ago, Don said:

The Red one will do it all. Look at the top of the page.

Sorry that’s what I get for not proof reading. I see the red one will work with everything, I meant to say in the link you provided the black one will not work in a 500k enhanced network. 

Thank you everybody for the advice. After piecing together all of the above posts, I was able to get them all working together. All of my equipment is running on the 57.6K (with the black converter) and the enhanced network setting enabled. I had to update the firmware of the gen 3 controllers from .9 to .11. Now I can move forward with the sequencing and setup the tree for the first time...I'm so excited. 

1 hour ago, Lawmanoftx said:

Thank you everybody for the advice. After piecing together all of the above posts, I was able to get them all working together. All of my equipment is running on the 57.6K (with the black converter) and the enhanced network setting enabled. I had to update the firmware of the gen 3 controllers from .9 to .11. Now I can move forward with the sequencing and setup the tree for the first time...I'm so excited. 

Good deal glad that was all it was! I didn’t think the pixie8 would run on a 57.6k enhanced network. I’ll try that also! 

Edited by NewBraunfelsLights

Running a Pixie8 under HU will work at 57K

Running a SHOW will not. Even at 115K (the advertised top for the Black) it will fail (to keep up)

• The topic was locked