2 hours ago, Oliver Blatt said:

I’ve made my own cables as well, but usually just resort to premade  cables. It’s pretty easy to slide the boots off the plug so it’s no longer in the way. No need to cut off, and then when you need to coil the cable for storage, slide the boot back on the connector, and it protects the tab from being broken off.

The ones I have the boot is NOT a slide on, it's molded to the cable.  So it's either leave it or cut it off.  I usually just leave them, but in RGB Controllers like the Pixie2D or older CCB100D controllers, they are a big pain to get into them and out if they need to be changed.

Orville, I'm curious to find out where you got your cables. I buy lots of Cat5 cables from Lowes, and even though they look like they are molded on, with a bit of wiggling, they slide right down the wire and out of the way! I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, just genuinely curious if there is a different way of making "pre-fab" cables that preclude sliding the boots out of the way.

On 11/22/2020 at 8:07 PM, Oliver Blatt said:

Orville, I'm curious to find out where you got your cables. I buy lots of Cat5 cables from Lowes, and even though they look like they are molded on, with a bit of wiggling, they slide right down the wire and out of the way! I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, just genuinely curious if there is a different way of making "pre-fab" cables that preclude sliding the boots out of the way.

I believe these were all purchased at Home Depot that have the molded boots, even the packaging stated boots were molded to the cable.  But I don't have that packaging any longer.   I tried sliding them down like you stated, but they will not budge, and I don't see any gaps around these boots like I did on a few I purchased online.

On 11/22/2020 at 5:07 PM, Oliver Blatt said:

I have at least 3 different styles of cable ends.

Movable boots (which I also use for home repairs. They also come in assorted colors)

Molded strain relief, but no tang protection

Molded strain relief, w/ tang protection (2 styles. Side guards and boot style.)

Molded will NOT fit properly in the LOR accessory, weather resistant dongle. They are a bear to remove (Poor vision does not help) without damaging the plug or cable

12 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I have at least 3 different styles of cable ends.

Movable boots (which I also use for home repairs. They also come in assorted colors)

Molded strain relief, but no tang protection

Molded strain relief, w/ tang protection (2 styles. Side guards and boot style.)

Molded will NOT fit properly in the LOR accessory, weather resistant dongle. They are a bear to remove (Poor vision does not help) without damaging the plug or cable

When my vision was a bit better than it is now, I could cut them off, but doing so now, I'd just damage the cable{and I have}.  They are a bear to get into and out of RGB Controllers like the CCB100D and the Pixie2D, but I manage.

I tried sliding many of my boots off cat5 cables I have, couldn't get a single one to slide off, I almost broke the tang off one of the connectors trying to slide it off.  No go for me, and before I broke a good cable, I quit messing with it.  Just not worth it to try and slide them off when they don't come off very easily, if at all.