Light-O-Rama Forums

Overwhelmed

Costello

I am OVERWHELMED! I hope this forum can get me going ASAP. I am going from Mr. Christmas to 16 channels and sequencers and software...Where do I go to ask specific questions regarding what I need for my particular setup? I have a ton of LEDs. I purchased my sequences and downloaded the music. My light sections are divided into 16 parts with cords running to my controller box. ( I built a box to protect it). But I now find out I can just use the Director? No need for the laptop? Can someone help me figure all this out? PLEASE????

Start by going to the FAQ's - ** LOOK HERE **

Select Video Tutorials

Watch ones that are appropriate.

BTW, where in LA are you?

Yes, you can use a Director.  Depending on which one you choose will depend on what you want the director to do.  The U3MP3g4 is the mini director, it does not have a real time clock, so you'd need to add a timer in front of your controller, timer plugs into outlet, controller plugs into timer, then set timer for the start and end time for your show.

N4-G4 MP3 Director {G4} has a built in time clock, so no external timer is needed, it also has more functions than the mini director, it also can support up to 4 different networks.

Either Director is set up in The Hub to create the show{s}, depending on your director The Hub will give you access to all the features available for either unit you just tell The Hub which Director type you're using, then you just add sequences and The Hub will ask  questions in a pop up once you select write show to SD Card.   It's fairly simple.

And yes, they do replace the computer.  I have have the N4-G4 Director and it replaced my computer, this way all my cat5 cables, audio cable from the Director to my FM Transmitter are all outside.  No drilling or trying to figure ways to run cat5 cables from the adapter{s} to outside, along with audio cable from the computer to outside speakers.

The Director WILL NOT power outdoor speakers directly, they must be amplified.  This is why many of us have an FM Transmitter and use a radio that can be protected from the weather wither with internal speakers or a type that uses external speaker and connect the external speakers to the radio for both FM transmission of the shows audio, along with the external speakers from the radio so bicyclists or walkers can also hear the show that may not be in a vehicle.

Any other questions feel free to ask.   I don't use a mini director, but my friend JR on here does, so he would be more capable of answers on that particular director unit.

Edited by Orville

I live in Sherman Oaks. If I purchase a controller from another LOR distributor can I add the Director? And what if I want to use songs that I purchase and download from Amazon that have a Sequence that I can buy from LOR? We were considering whether we wanted people to sit and search for the FM channel or just step out or roll down the window to listen? We have been using Mr. Christmas for years with no complaints from the neighbors. Here is what I want to do:

1. I want to run my own song choices

2. I want it be as uncomplicated as possible

3. I want some animation eventually such as singing trees.

4. I want to use my existing LED lights instead of buying all new RGB.

5. I could really use some help in getting this all together and ready to run by Thanksgiving. My lights are all up and I have 16 segments each with it's own power cord coming to where I plan to put the controller.

6. I do not want to use my PC to run the show.

7. Not sure about FM or speakers or doing both?

Edited by Costello

16 minutes ago, Costello said:

I live in Sherman Oaks. If I purchase a controller from another LOR distributor can I add the Director? And what if I want to use songs that I purchase and download from Amazon that have a Sequence that I can buy from LOR? We were considering whether we wanted people to sit and search for the FM channel or just step out or roll down the window to listen? We have been using Mr. Christmas for years with no complaints from the neighbors. Here is what I want to do:

1. I want to run my own song choices

2. I want it be as uncomplicated as possible

3. I want some animation eventually such as singing trees.

4. I want to use my existing LED lights instead of buying all new RGB.

5. I could really use some help in getting this all together and ready to run by Thanksgiving. My lights are all up and I have 16 segments each with it's own power cord coming to where I plan to put the controller.

6. I do not want to use my PC to run the show.

7. Not sure about FM or speakers or doing both?

HA! Ha!  This is already November. SORRY You might have had a chance for something simple if you ordered at the start of October.

Sorry, but You would have to pay for AIR delivery 😲, even to get the hardware by Thanksgiving.  While plugging it all together is not hard, Understanding the *Director usage and  sequencing is a whole lot daunting.

You want a AC (Residential or commercial) 'Starter  Bundle (either has 16 Ports (outlets) )

There is a Commercial model with a built in director if your usage is required to comply with 'codes'

or you can order the director seperatly. Note the Mini version does NOT have a clock if start and stop times are needed

Just had an Idea.

If you are real lucky, there maybe someone in the Valley who has an extra controller (many folk are going to RGB) they would sell.

Be wary of e-bay sellers. It can go either way. You want a Gen 3 preferably, but a Gen 2 will do (Gen 3 has thing that work better with LED strings)

Just so you're aware, if you want to use the LOR Software Suite, you will need to buy at least ONE brand new Controller from LOR to buy the software/license.  I bought my first controller used, and unless LOR has changed this, I had to buy a brand new controller from LOR to be able to purchase the software/license.

Fortunately, a Director IS considered a Controller, and since that was my first purchase from LOR, it also allowed me to purchase the software/license to run the controllers{ended up with 5 CTB16PC units in less than a month}, Director and control lights.   Depending on which license you purchase, will also limit or open up other options in the LOR Software Suite.   I would recommend PRO because it gives full access to everything EXCEPT the SuperStar add-on program, that is a separate licensing cost, and is usually only really needed if you run RGB pixels/lighting.  But even then, it's NOT an absolutely necessary program.  Currently I don't use it, and I have 7 RGB Controllers in my show, along with 2 CTB16PC Controllers and will be run by the N4-G4 Director that also feeds my FM Transmitter.

As for speakers, if I didn't have them my neighbors would complain! LOL, they love to hear the Christmas music I play in my off hours and then when the show runs.  So having both works great in my case, I have great neighbors and they all support my display.   I'm really late in getting mine up this year and all my neighbors have been asking when m I going to get it up and the music playing. LOL  I was thinking not using the outdoor speakers this year, but my neighbors all said they wanted them!   That's a first for me here.

As for the folks just searching for your FM frequency, that is a REALLY BAD IDEA and one that may turn folks off and away from your display.  Easiest thing to do it just find an old political sign with its stand, repaint over the sign with a solid color and either hand write, make a stencil or use adhesive large backed letters and numbers to create your own "Tune To xxx.x FM to hear the Christmas Lights", many folks have done that, then later made a sign out of old incandescent or L.E.D. Christmas strand lights.  A little late to make one like this this year.  Then the painted option mentioned was lit by a simple spotlight controlled by 1 channel from the AC Controller and dimmed.  Did it that way for years and will still be doing it that way this year, but I hand wrote my info on a snowman that is non-illuminated and staked into my yard with a spotlight on it.  Not the best sign, but it works.

Good Luck getting something going for 2020, as most have stated, it's a bit far too late to get an order delivered by Thanksgiving for this year, not unless you pay a very expensive delivery service fee to get it like overnight, and sometimes that option may not be available or possible.

Orville pointed out BUY hardware to buy the software.

You don't need to WAIT for your NEW hardware to install/use Showtime. They email you the key., so showtime will work with any LOR device

Edited by TheDucks