Light-O-Rama Forums

Tethering singing trees to top of house

jgcorl

I am looking at setting up 4 singing trees on the peak of my house facing the road.  I am thinking of framing each tree with 2x4's and then creating a large sawhorse type structure with 2x4's straddling the peak of my house to fasten the frames into.  I intend to have the 2x4's extend down the roof enough to prevent it from flipping over.  Is there an easier and less intrusive way to do this? 

You have a decent plan.  However if you get any wind, you will. need to guy them as well.  That 4 foot by 4 foot billboard will catch a lot of wind.

15 hours ago, k6ccc said:

You have a decent plan.  However if you get any wind, you will. need to guy them as well.  That 4 foot by 4 foot billboard will catch a lot of wind.

Yeah, that is my biggest worry at this point.  I have a tree in the front yard and back yard I could tether to just in case.  Just didn't know if there was an easier way to go about this.  Thanks.

Jim is right, but it is going to be 4x16 feet with four trees, That is a lot of wind break. We thought of same thing but I ended putting mine attached to sidewall of my garage and my buddy's across street on the roof but up against the two gable's on the front of his house, bolted to each other and bolted to front of gable. Works real well, takes 4 of us to get them up and bolted down but works really well.

Keith

I never had a problem using the outrigger method as the OP states with 2X4s straddling the peak in my previous house. They just have to be spread far apart. I had my santa, sleigh and 4 reindeer on my home. However they are more aerodynamic than the trees will be. 

As my friend Jim stated above you will have to use guy wires or maybe sandbags would work.

They would be some expensive sails though.

This year i am using my old CCR tree frame a special project for my faces since i am up to 21 for this year. I am taking them up.

With that being said and not knowing the distance from the viewing area it may not look well if to far. My home is 300' from the street.They look better closer to the viewers as do all singing faces.

That may be something you should consider.

Its sort of like my small 1200 node 3x5 matrix. It looks better (resolution) closer to the viewers than my 4x8 matrix with the same number of nodes.

Happy lighting

JR

I'm mounting mine using eye hooks and hopefully swing set chains from under the eve of my roof, they are framed with wooden stakes cut down to make a frame for them on the backside.  Then there will be one eye hook centered at the bottom and one eye hook screwed into the wall of my house, this will allow the trees to be at a bit of an angle {I think close to 45 degrees or perhaps just a little less}, so they will be angled toward the viewers and I will use a small padlock to hold the bottom eye hook to the wall eye hook.  So hopefully I won't have any wind issues with this method.  Still got to locate my chains or may have to buy some more, fortunately they aren't very expensive for the 4 chains of about 1-2 feet of chain I'll need.

The Trees Controllers are also mounted on the backside of my 2 trees and on the frame out of view.

Will see how this works out once I can get them up.  Doing this by myself is going to be a real neat trick if I can pull it off!  Otherwise might have to rethink their mounting options.

Rather than LOCKING them UPRIGHT. Allow them to 'unload' in strong wind.

Hinges at the  bottom, Springs making them stand up (but allow either forward or backwards motion. The BASE firmly anchored.

(Former foot launched pilot. 164 squares would allow me to soar 220lbs for hours. I know fighting Mother Nature is futile 😛)

On 11/16/2020 at 11:11 AM, TheDucks said:

Rather than LOCKING them UPRIGHT. Allow them to 'unload' in strong wind.

Hinges at the  bottom, Springs making them stand up (but allow either forward or backwards motion. The BASE firmly anchored.

(Former foot launched pilot. 164 squares would allow me to soar 220lbs for hours. I know fighting Mother Nature is futile 😛)

The chains will allow them to sway, so they should be good.  I did almost the same method with some old HC Coro Baby Sidewalk Arches they sold years ago.  Those arches saw their last use about 2 years ago.   Would have purchased more of them, but HC discontinued them.:(