Light-O-Rama Forums

Show instructions not included

Dr_Aplet

I am brand new to LOR and this world.  My review is surely mixed.  I think that once i get into the weeds of it it will do some really fun stuff.  This is a cool tool for sure (in need of a facelift).  In my world (medical equipment service) manuals are king.  When you have a question of how to use something you go to the manual.  So in waiting for my controller to arrive i purchased some sequences, downloaded the manual to walk through how to make this thing that i just purchased work.  While reading the manual i noticed that there were many leaps over steps required.  So i watched all the tutorials LOR offered, which speak way over a novice level; new terms, definitions etc.  When it came to the designing and playing a sequence section of the manual (THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP) there is 1 paragraph that referenced a WIKI site and the support site where i got the manual i was reading! NO instructions how to make this thing run. Now I messaged support and got a quick response loosely instructing me how make it work.  By golly i was able to get it to work somehow.  There are many layers and applications that one needs to flip back and forth to in order to schedule something to make it work.  I am still having issues knowing exactly what i am doing to make it work. 

1) Has anyone written instructions for after you have a sequence?  This is where all the videos leave off.  

2) Has anyone built effects templates for the sequencer.  ( how to get multiple effects simultaneously (fade and shimmer at the same time) Or is there a way to make a file of combinations that you might reuse on a clipboard or anything like that.

3) Does any one have pre-made objects for the preview like say a reindeer or a sleigh, or a snowman, gift boxes?  There are very few usable objects that i can just drop in my preview even if it just represents the objects.

I probably sound like negative Nelly but i am happy so far with it but there about a million improvements i would love to be a part of suggesting for LOR to make a product soo cool that even a bumbling ID10T like me can use out of the box.  Like why isn't there a pre-loaded sequence where we can just add our preview and watch the magic on screen, at least to test the thing or start you off with a couple cool effects you could cut and paste.  

LOR Manual.jpg

Hi Dr Aplet. Welcome to the wonderful world of synchronized lights with Light O Rama.

If you bought sequences from LOR you don't have to worry about setting up a preview in the software or any programming. You literally install the Showtime software on your computer (I recommend version 5 since you're new), follow the instruction booklet in the box your RS486 adapter came in (plug in  to PC and install drivers), You'll need to follow the directions that come in the box for connecting your controller to your PC and configuring the controller ID. The first controller in an AC show is 1 and the second is 2 and etc usually. The layout included with the sequence you downloaded will show you what controller number connects to which lights. Then download the sequences you paid for from LOR and follow the directions. (you do need to pay for the music using the links LOR provides to Amazon)  There is actually directions with the sequences. If I recall you literally just double-click and the sequence will install into Showtime. To run a show you open up "Hub' from the right click menu of the LOR software in the system tray and you can create a show by selecting the sequences you want to run and the times.  That's just running the show...as for how to setup your lights in the yard - look at the LOR sequences you downloaded and there are pictures and descriptions on how to setup the lights in the 4x4 or 8 channel pattern. As to what lights or props (term for the thing you are lighting) they can be anything from a string of lights on the eve to a lit up reindeer. I've bought a lot at Wal-MArt, Menards, and Big Lots.

Hopefully the above helps. Not an exhaustive list, but what I do. And don't feel bad - when I got my first controller, it took me hours to figure out how to setup a show and play it. Also, the vast majority of videos and how-tos on LOR seem to be using version 4 of the software. 5 is current and what its actively being developed by LOR. So if you watch some videos and they look different than the software you are using, that is why.

Good luck and happy decorating!

You might also take a look at the help that comes built into the programs. For example, from the Sequencer select Help > Contents. You should find a few sample sequences in the "Samples" sub-folder under Sequences.

We welcome your feedback - please let us know how we can do better!

Matt

Some props you have to build while other are in the drop down or upload from the www

As far as help, the manual included is good if you follow it step by step.

You also have a lot of people here and creating a topic for your questions will be answered by a bunch of great people here.

As well as the LOR staff, best customer service around.

JR

Thank you all for your feed back.  I have incorporated my sequences already and are working to modify them for my setup, they are working and i was able to muddle my way through with the help of the support channel.  I did not receive any instruction booklet in the RS486 box but i did get one in the controller box which is where i got the excerpt that i originally posted.  One thing that i found in the scheduler that was not realized is that when you open the scheduler and add or edit a schedule and save it in the dialogue box you have to save it again in the main window which i thought was strange.  Controlling the system out of the task menu is also strange i.e. right click on the light bulb to start and stop the show. 

I will work on some step by step instructions that may be able to be included in the manual which should be the universal answer.  Websites go down, change revisions change the way stuff operates but the manual is the same for that device and should include everything you need to know.  as it stands you could not operate your system with the manual alone.  

To clarify I have not been able to play the light show (on my actual lights) outside having the sequence made, placed in a show then placed in a schedule.  Is there a way to play the sequence with actual lights within the sequence editor?  it seems like a lot of work to check a small line or a few bars of a song.  I realize that is what the preview is for but its not the same.   

Matt Brown- I would love to offer feeback if it counts somewhere.  I feel like this may be a case of those that have learned to use this the way it is just got used to the quirks and this just really could be refined and cleaned up to make one cohesive application that follows a basic flow that will make this something special for basic user like myself.  There should be one application that everything is reached through.  one should be able to control everything from one place from building a sequence to making the schedule to testing and configuring the lights, maybe just tabs across the top.  

If you have controllers connected to the USB adaptor and properly ID'd  and control lights enabled in the Sequencer  (tab on left)  the lights will play as well as the preview. 

Network settings will also need to be set up in Network Preferences.

You can also play your show on demand using the right click menu in the system tray

Remember, only one activity can control the com port at ant given time. You cant have Sequencer or Hardware, or Show Player fighting over the com port.

Excellent, I thought that it should control the lights that way.  What network stuff do i need to set up since this uses essentially the com port RS232?  Has anyone played around with using dropbox to store and modify files?  I am working on using my back up laptop out under a cover leaving it connected and i can run and edit the shows and schedule from my main laptop.  I can change the files in drop box and it seems to be working.  The issue i had last night is that i rebuilt the sequence but didn't export it so i could grab it on my backup laptop I tried it before i went to work today and it seems to have come across to the new laptop.  

Dropbox works fine. Just duplicate the file paths for any additional machines.

The USB drivers for the adaptor should be installed before you plug in the adaptor or Windows may to use it's generic drivers. It has to be the LOR FTDI drivers. Look in Device manager to see what com port appears when you plug it in and write it on the adaptor for future ref.

Many people isolate their show machines by turning off WIFI or LAN to prevent possible show interruptions from updates etc. I don't because my show uses BobO's MIIP to allow guests to play their favorite song from their phones. I use one machine in my basement for everything and a hole in the wall for cables.

30 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I don't because my show uses BobO's MIIP to allow guests to play their favorite song from their phones. I use one machine in my basement for everything and a hole in the wall for cables.

Tell me about BobO's MIIP what is this?  Does this automatically sync lights to sound say from pandora?

47 minutes ago, Dr_Aplet said:

Tell me about BobO's MIIP what is this?  Does this automatically sync lights to sound say from pandora?

Not at all.  What MIIP does is allow your viewers to pick what of your sequenced songs to play next.