Light-O-Rama Forums

Matrix Help

jfuller8400

I finally decided to jump into the world of pixels and thought I would start by making a matrix.  So I built a 2x2 matrix with P5 panels driven by a Beagle Bone Black and Octoscroller running FPP.  The panels are 64 x 32 which gives me 64 rows of 128 pixels,  24,576 channels, and 48 universes (at 512 channels / universe).  Pixel numbering starts at 1 and Universe 1.  The panels all test perfectly using the diagnostics built into the FPP.  

FPP is configured into E1.31 bridge mode with Universes 1-48 defined.  

Went into the LOR Network config and defined Universes 1-48 as E1.31, unicast to the FPP.

Started the LOR Control Panel.  CommListener shows that it opened up 48 universes to the FPP.  FPP status page shows traffic being received from the sequencing computer.

I can go into the LOR Hardware Utility and then into the Pixel Console and I'm able to control the individual pixels on the matrix (they turn on/off as I adjust the sliders).  So this tells me that my LOR Network settings, FPP, and panels are all setup/working correctly.

Next I go into the Pixel Editor and define a matrix prop to the preview.  I set it up as RGB, Matrix-horizontal, 64 strings, 128 nodes/string, 0 folds, starts in top left, DMX, uncheck separate universe.  It creates the 48 universes starting at id 1, universe 1.

I open a new animation sequenced I created just for testing the matrix, assign the prop to it, generate an effect and add it to the sequencing grid for the matrix prop.  From the Tools menu I click Control Lights so that it's checked.

Click the Play button and.......Nothing on the matrix.  I can see the effect play on the screen but I'm not getting anything on the actual matrix itself.  I was expecting that by clicking the Control Lights I would be able to see the effect on the actual matrix as well.

I'm thinking I must have missed something in the Pixel Editor as I (think) the rest of it is setup correctly and works (i.e. LOR Network, FPP, Panels).  I'm running 4.0.40 Advanced which I know is an old version and doesn't give me intensity files but I would still think it should work.

Just for grins and giggles I installed Xlights on the same computer and was able to get the matrix to respond without issues.  So to me that also validates that it's not a network, FPP, or Panel issue.

Thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on what to try next (other than upgrading to the current S4 version - which I need to do anyway)?

Sounds like you are at least 90% of the way there.  I would think you are left with something in PE.  Unfortunately I could never get S4 PE to work at all, so I can't help you with that.

If you look at the packet counters in the FPP instance, when LOR is not doing much, but the comm listener is running, you should see about 1 or 2 packets per second - make sure you have the "Live Update Stats" box checked on the right side of the status page.  First, confirm that you are seeing that.  Next, try to play the test sequence and see if at least some of the universes count a lot more packets.  BTW, the only way to reset the counter is to restart FPPD (at the bottom of every FPP page).

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Jim, how's his "advanced" license level work with that setup?

Could that be his problem. 

Could be.

Remember, he is on S4, not S5.  It's been a few years for me since I ran S4, but wasn't Pixel Editor out under S4 before the Pro level license?

However if that is not the case, then yes, that would be the problem.

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Could be.

Remember, he is on S4, not S5.  It's been a few years for me since I ran S4, but wasn't Pixel Editor out under S4 before the Pro level license?

However if that is not the case, then yes, that would be the problem.

I was thinking PE came out earlier than S4. You've been here longer than I have but seems like PE was here in at least the late S3's.

Was just checking just in case

JR

Ok, heard back from the help desk and found out that you do need a Pro level license to use the Pixie editor.  On S4, for any license level other than Pro, the Pixie editor is in Demo mode only and won't control any lights.  So I upgraded my license (which also gives me the great benefit of going to S5 if I want) and boom - I'm getting output on the matrix now!  I'm not going to go to S5 for this year's show at this late date, but I'll probably at least upgrade to the latest version of S4.

Also props to LOR - in less than 2 hours after putting in my ticket I had an answer from the help desk.  Also upgrading my license took less than 5 minutes from the time I submitted the order to getting the e-mail saying the upgrade had been processed, to registering it in the LOR software.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jfuller8400 said:

Ok, heard back from the help desk and found out that you do need a Pro level license to use the Pixie editor.  On S4, for any license level other than Pro, the Pixie editor is in Demo mode only and won't control any lights.  So I upgraded my license (which also gives me the great benefit of going to S5 if I want) and boom - I'm getting output on the matrix now!  I'm not going to go to S5 for this year's show at this late date, but I'll probably at least upgrade to the latest version of S4.

Also props to LOR - in less than 2 hours after putting in my ticket I had an answer from the help desk.  Also upgrading my license took less than 5 minutes from the time I submitted the order to getting the e-mail saying the upgrade had been processed, to registering it in the LOR software.

Thanks for the update. Glad I asked.

Thanks to my great friends above for replying.

JR