Light-O-Rama Forums

Brand New To The Game

poorotis

Looking to take the plunge and see a couple of different starter packages and really want something plug and play that I can build on down the road. Long term would never have more than four controllers, but want one to start that I can put lights to music.

Most of my lights are either walmart or lowes and they dont say they can be dimmed can I use these.

What is the difference between the $317.00 starter package and the $269 residential addon series.

What one should I get and what accesories. Again looking for light show to music plug and play which I can add to

50 minutes ago, poorotis said:

Looking to take the plunge and see a couple of different starter packages and really want something plug and play that I can build on down the road. Long term would never have more than four controllers, but want one to start that I can put lights to music.

Most of my lights are either walmart or lowes and they dont say they can be dimmed can I use these.

What is the difference between the $317.00 starter package and the $269 residential addon series.

What one should I get and what accesories. Again looking for light show to music plug and play which I can add to

Well I hope you realize it is very late to just now start purchasing equipment and hoping to put on a show this year. But I can answer this first question, the difference in the packages you noted is the $317 starter package is just that a starter, 1 16 channel controller, the software you'll need, and a RS485 adapter. For starting this is the package you want. The add on is just that, an additional add on controller.

Yes you can use your Lowes and Walmart LED lights with this starter package. A lot of us use those Lights with these controllers. If you want to sequence your lights to music you will need sequences, music and a FM transmitter to project the music. This is where time and more will start to accumulate, sequencing only one song requires hours of work for someone who knows how, you could ask for a donated one or purchase some, look in the Vendor category below or sequence sharing also below.

There should be more help and opinions later, most of us are very busy setting up our displays now, but welcome and hang in there and just keep asking questions.

Keith

1 hour ago, poorotis said:

We all started with those minimum goals, $1000's of dollars later....

JR

2 hours ago, poorotis said:

Long term would never have more than four controllers,

Pardon me while I laugh my backside off!  Pixels, P10, video, etc.  It all adds up.  66,000+ channels this year...

• Like 1

Ten years ago before the pixel stuff took off i think i was up to 30  16 channel ac controllers, down to 4 now but way up on pixel controllers it never ends ! Bigger is better!

• Like 1

Started originally with a {dare I say it?} Mr. Christmas 4 channel wireless system, then a year, perhaps 2, I stumbled onto LOR stuff and was bitten, started with 1 controller I bought used, then discovered I needed to buy a 2nd to get the software, so my nest purchase was a DC-MP3 Director {original Director unit with built in time clock}, software, and a black USB485B adapter.  Bought the Basic Plus license at first, but within less than2 months I had added 4 more CTB16PC Controllers, an FM Transmitter, more Cat5 Cables, around another 200+ extension cords of various sizes and types, 4 yard outlet power stakes and tons of light stakes and screw down plastic C clamps for mounting lights to assorted materials and I also upgraded my licnse to Advanced {which was the highest level at the time I got into this hobby in 2009-2010}.  

Less than 4 months in and I'd already spent a small fortune, now in 2020, I've downsized the CTB16PC Controllers from 5 to 2, if it weren't for placement of some items I could actually make do with only 1 CTB16PC Controller.  But in 2019 I added 5 RGB CCB100D Controllers, some with Pixel Bullets, some with C7/9 style bulbs and for 2020 I've replaced the bullets on all but 1 RGB Controller, which are my 2 RGB Trellis Arches, with the C7/9 Cosmic Color Bulbs and added 2 LOR RGB Singing Trees, Zuzu and Eldon, more cat5 cables of assorted length, a new G4 MP3 Director to run the shows, additional SD Cards for the Director, roof line clips for shingle mounting the CCB's, and cut down on extension cords used by over 3/4 from what I used a few years ago.

And chances are you're going to end up wanting or going the way many of us have, from standard LED strands to RGB Controllers and lights.

And it's going to keep growing and costing $$ as you forage ahead and grow in this hobby.

Just about everyone here will tell you this is a never-ending vicious cycle and one you'll be caught in the loop for many years until old age, medical issues or something tells you it's time to retire doing it.   And even for some of us that should, we don't, we keep persevering for as long as we can do it because we enjoy it.    And that's the main key, if you don't enjoy it after you've given it a good try, then this hobby may not be for you, it's not for everyone.

So welcome aboard, and folks here will do what they can to help with your questions.  But this time of year it may take a bit of time before an answer comes forth.  This is due to it's not only the busiest time of year for a lot of us putting up, and tweaking our displays, but even the LOR Staff are very busy this time of year as well.   So just be patient, someone will answer just as soon as they can.

Edited by Orville
Correct typo's and spelling errors. Dadburn dyslexia! :(
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

Well I hope you realize it is very late to just now start purchasing equipment and hoping to put on a show this year. But I can answer this first question, the difference in the packages you noted is the $317 starter package is just that a starter, 1 16 channel controller, the software you'll need, and a RS485 adapter. For starting this is the package you want. The add on is just that, an additional add on controller.

Yes you can use your Lowes and Walmart LED lights with this starter package. A lot of us use those Lights with these controllers. If you want to sequence your lights to music you will need sequences, music and a FM transmitter to project the music. This is where time and more will start to accumulate, sequencing only one song requires hours of work for someone who knows how, you could ask for a donated one or purchase some, look in the Vendor category below or sequence sharing also below.

There should be more help and opinions later, most of us are very busy setting up our displays now, but welcome and hang in there and just keep asking questions.

Keith

Well I was just thinking of getting the starter and somehow buying a sequence and song or two.

I live in the middle of nowhere and probably have more deer than people going down my road, but each year I add a little more to the show and while it certainly looks like a dumpster dive I have fun with it.

So each channel is a string of lights. If I buy one song with sequence is it plug an play or do I have to assign channels in conjunction with the sequence.

If I run through the computer can I connect to by stereo and use my out door speaker.

Is the MP3 Player worth getting and if so can I pump that through the out door speakers.

Are the Lowes Walmart lights dimmable?

and thank you for the response

14 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Pardon me while I laugh my backside off!  Pixels, P10, video, etc.  It all adds up.  66,000+ channels this year...

HAHA Keep Laughing I see what you folks put into this. OMG Crazy, but I have a few other Vices that drain me dry. Kids, Wife and Vintage motorcycles.

We have stopped at a few displays that have won or been on the Great Light Competition and while they were all exceptional in there own way the one in Virginia was bizzare!!!!! One of our favorites.  

And thank you for the motivation! 66000 plus I would be divorced!

11 hours ago, Orville said:

Started originally with a {dare I say it?} Mr. Christmas 4 channel wireless system, then a year, perhaps 2, I stumbled onto LOR stuff and was bitten, started with 1 controller I bought used, then discovered I needed to buy a 2nd to get the software, so my nest purchase was a DC-MP3 Director {original Director unit with built in time clock}, software, and a black USB485B adapter.  Bought the Basic Plus license at first, but within less than2 months I had added 4 more CTB16PC Controllers, an FM Transmitter, more Cat5 Cables, around another 200+ extension cords of various sizes and types, 4 yard outlet power stakes and tons of light stakes and screw down plastic C clamps for mounting lights to assorted materials and I also upgraded my licnse to Advanced {which was the highest level at the time I got into this hobby in 2009-2010}.  

Less than 4 months in and I'd already spent a small fortune, now in 2020, I've downsized the CTB16PC Controllers from 5 to 2, if it weren't for placement of some items I could actually make do with only 1 CTB16PC Controller.  But in 2019 I added 5 RGB CCB100D Controllers, some with Pixel Bullets, some with C7/9 style bulbs and for 2020 I've replaced the bullets on all but 1 RGB Controller, which are my 2 RGB Trellis Arches, with the C7/9 Cosmic Color Bulbs and added 2 LOR RGB Singing Trees, Zuzu and Eldon, more cat5 cables of assorted length, a new G4 MP3 Director to run the shows, additional SD Cards for the Director, roof line clips for shingle mounting the CCB's, and cut down on extension cords used by over 3/4 from what I used a few years ago.

And chances are you're going to end up wanting or going the way many of us have, from standard LED strands to RGB Controllers and lights.

And it's going to keep growing and costing $$ as you forage ahead and grow in this hobby.

Just about everyone here will tell you this is a never-ending vicious cycle and one you'll be caught in the loop for many years until old age, medical issues or something tells you it's time to retire doing it.   And even for some of us that should, we don't, we keep persevering for as long as we can do it because we enjoy it.    And that's the main key, if you don't enjoy it after you've given it a good try, then this hobby may not be for you, it's not for everyone.

So welcome aboard, and folks here will do what they can to help with your questions.  But this time of year it may take a bit of time before an answer comes forth.  This is due to it's not only the busiest time of year for a lot of us putting up, and tweaking our displays, but even the LOR Staff are very busy this time of year as well.   So just be patient, someone will answer just as soon as they can.

HAHAH Thank you.

As I watch some of the behind the scenes I love the creativty and ingenuity that goes into many of these shows

25 minutes ago, poorotis said:

And thank you for the motivation! 66000 plus I would be divorced!

It's not that bad.  54,000+ channels are the P5 & P10 panels - not much over $100

Matrix_panels_hanging_close-up.jpg

The affliction started in 2010. The channel count  progression went something like this.

2010                                      16 Channels AC.

2011                                       32 Channels AC.

2012                                       32 AC, 30 Dumb DC.

2013                                       32 AC, 36 Dumb DC, 1200  Pixel Channels.

2014                                       32 AC, 45 Dumb DC, 1500 Pixel Channels.

2015                                       32 AC, 45 Dumb DC, 2000 Pixel Channels.

2016                                       32 AC, 45 Dumb DC, 4000 Pixel Channels.

2017                                       29 AC, 45 Dumb DC, 6000 Pixel Channels. 

2018                                      28 AC, 45 Dumb DC, 7000 Pixel Channels, 44 raw dmx channels.

2019                                      26 AC, 45 Dumb DC, 8000 Pixel Channels, 66 raw dmx channels.

2020                                      22 AC, 45 Dumb DC, 10000 Pixel Channels, 66 raw dmx channels.

I'm 68 years old, that might be as high as it gets. Then again...........................

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, poorotis said:

Well I was just thinking of getting the starter and somehow buying a sequence and song or two.

I live in the middle of nowhere and probably have more deer than people going down my road, but each year I add a little more to the show and while it certainly looks like a dumpster dive I have fun with it.

So each channel is a string of lights. If I buy one song with sequence is it plug an play or do I have to assign channels in conjunction with the sequence.

If I run through the computer can I connect to by stereo and use my out door speaker.

Is the MP3 Player worth getting and if so can I pump that through the out door speakers.

Are the Lowes Walmart lights dimmable?

and thank you for the response

So lets start this way, you purchase the starter kit which has one controller with 16 channels, the Rs485 adapter you'll need, you will also need an FM transmitter for the deer in cars with a radio, Amazon is where a lot of us find them. CZH-05B is what I use. A CP or laptop is what I would recommend because hopefully you have one and won't need to purchase one or need the media director MP3 player, they seem to have more trouble than a cp or laptop but I have no experience with them cause I use a laptop.

Yes the Lowes and Walmart lights are usually dimmable, stay away from the Martha Stewart brand. You can put quite a few light strands per channel so one controller will control a lot of light strands.

You can get a sequence or two from the sequence sharing section right here on the forum, no cost, just look them over in sequence sharing and ask, or you can purchase a sequence or two from someone like Holiday Sequences.com, his are usually around $15 but he has a sale right now and automatically takes off 45%. Download the sequence you get and then get the music/song for that sequence. Open the Light o Rama software and off you go. There are some tutorials on LOR website and Youtube to help guide you.

Good Luck and welcome to our insanity. Keith

21 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

So lets start this way, you purchase the starter kit which has one controller with 16 channels, the Rs485 adapter you'll need, you will also need an FM transmitter for the deer in cars with a radio, Amazon is where a lot of us find them. CZH-05B is what I use. A CP or laptop is what I would recommend because hopefully you have one and won't need to purchase one or need the media director MP3 player, they seem to have more trouble than a cp or laptop but I have no experience with them cause I use a laptop.

Yes the Lowes and Walmart lights are usually dimmable, stay away from the Martha Stewart brand. You can put quite a few light strands per channel so one controller will control a lot of light strands.

You can get a sequence or two from the sequence sharing section right here on the forum, no cost, just look them over in sequence sharing and ask, or you can purchase a sequence or two from someone like Holiday Sequences.com, his are usually around $15 but he has a sale right now and automatically takes off 45%. Download the sequence you get and then get the music/song for that sequence. Open the Light o Rama software and off you go. There are some tutorials on LOR website and Youtube to help guide you.

So order this below, the transmitter on AMAZON and a couple of sequences?

Instead of transmitter can't I pipe through stereo and outside speakers.

I do have a couple of lap tops

ST-SP-Residential-16trans_1x1.gif$317.00trans_1x1.gif
Software Level: BasicBasic Plus(+18.00)Standard(+45.00)Advanced (+69.00)Pro (+109.00)
Software Delivery: Download OnlyDownload & CD(+4.00)
Connector: USB - USB485USB High Speed - USB485-HS(+2.00)USB - USB485B-Voltage booster(+6.00)Wireless Pair + USB485B(+199.95)Serial(not for newer PCs) - SC485(+0.00)
Cat5 Cable: 25ft Cat5 Cable(+0.00)No Cat5 Cable(-7.95)50ft Cat5 Cable(+5.00)100ft Cat5 Cable(+12.00)10ft Cat5 Cable(-4.00)
Mini Director Upgrade: Not SelectedMini Director(+99.95) 

ST-SP-Residential-16trans_1x1.gif$317.00trans_1x1.gif
Software Level: BasicBasic Plus(+18.00)Standard(+45.00)Advanced (+69.00)Pro (+109.00)
Software Delivery: Download OnlyDownload & CD(+4.00)
Connector: USB - USB485USB High Speed - USB485-HS(+2.00)USB - USB485B-Voltage booster(+6.00)Wireless Pair + USB485B(+199.95)Serial(not for newer PCs) - SC485(+0.00)
Cat5 Cable: 25ft Cat5 Cable(+0.00)No Cat5 Cable(-7.95)50ft Cat5 Cable(+5.00)100ft Cat5 Cable(+12.00)10ft Cat5 Cable(-4.00)
Mini Director Upgrade: Not SelectedMini Director(+99.95) 

On 11/11/2020 at 10:27 PM, dibblejr said:

We all started with those minimum goals, $1000's of dollars later....

JR

On 11/12/2020 at 10:37 PM, Kapkirk said:

Ok so. Have the software, 16 channel unit came in, lights are up, new latop and getting ready to do the programming, but want to buy two so I have somehting. I see a bunch of free ones and ones for sale, but they are all for 32+ channels and RGB. Can I use these or do I need ones just for 16 channels. I looked on amazon for the one you mentioned, but just see this one https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-ST-05B-Transmitter-Broadcast-Antenna/dp/B0863J1Y3H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=fm+trasnsmitter+cZH-05B&qid=1605838900&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVk03UTkyTjA0Q1hUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzk2MDI2M1UwRFpaN1dWUDlYMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDAzMTkyMjNFVzhUMFdIUEFFUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

19 hours ago, poorotis said:

Ok so. Have the software, 16 channel unit came in, lights are up, new latop and getting ready to do the programming, but want to buy two so I have somehting. I see a bunch of free ones and ones for sale, but they are all for 32+ channels and RGB. Can I use these or do I need ones just for 16 channels. I looked on amazon for the one you mentioned, but just see this one https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-ST-05B-Transmitter-Broadcast-Antenna/dp/B0863J1Y3H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=fm+trasnsmitter+cZH-05B&qid=1605838900&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVk03UTkyTjA0Q1hUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzk2MDI2M1UwRFpaN1dWUDlYMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDAzMTkyMjNFVzhUMFdIUEFFUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You can use the 32 channel, your system will only control 16 channels, so go for it, look at the lights controlled by it and modify or fine tune it to your layout, RGB will not do you any good so try and obtain or buy sequences without RGB, the RBG will only add to the confusion right now. The FM transmitter you noted looks ok but I have no experience with but the one I mentioned but buying from Amazon gives you a lot of leverage if it doesn't work out.

Keep us informed and if any question pops up we will be here to help. Keith

2 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

You can use the 32 channel, your system will only control 16 channels, so go for it, look at the lights controlled by it and modify or fine tune it to your layout, RGB will not do you any good so try and obtain or buy sequences without RGB, the RBG will only add to the confusion right now. The FM transmitter you noted looks ok but I have no experience with but the one I mentioned but buying from Amazon gives you a lot of leverage if it doesn't work out.

Keep us informed and if any question pops up we will be here to help. Keith

CONFUSION! OH MY GOD. I went into the progam and LOST.  I bought a sequence and music for it just to have one and not sure if I even loaded correctly. Programming takes me back 20 years to post DOS. Kinda rethinking all this $700 dollars later.

I know what you mean. We all felt like that the first time, each sequence later it will get easier. Were you able to create a new sequence then load the music?

• 1 month later...