Light-O-Rama Forums

How do people get perfect window outlines with fixed length RGB ribbons?

GOTOTHIS

I see these videos online and people have perfectly outlined windows, doors and rooflines. How are they able to accomplish this. If I buy smart pixels 100 they are 4 inch spaced and about 33ft long and the 50 are about 16 feet long. my windows are smaller than these options. Are ya'll building the light strings to length or turning some lights off?

38 minutes ago, GOTOTHIS said:

I see these videos online and people have perfectly outlined windows, doors and rooflines. How are they able to accomplish this. If I buy smart pixels 100 they are 4 inch spaced and about 33ft long and the 50 are about 16 feet long. my windows are smaller than these options. Are ya'll building the light strings to length or turning some lights off?

Cutting.

Hiding'

And in some case turning off

All will do the same depending on the controller.

JR

47 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Pixels and pixel strips can be cut to ANY length you need be it 6 or 99.

It will void your warranty though

Let say I have a 50 square pixel string and I need to make it 35 to go around a window. Do I just chip it off at the end and put the two wires ends together? Then do I make an object in LOR called small window and tell the software it has 35 pixels?

7 minutes ago, GOTOTHIS said:

Let say I have a 50 square pixel string and I need to make it 35 to go around a window. Do I just chip it off at the end and put the two wires ends together? Then do I make an object in LOR called small window and tell the software it has 35 pixels?

You cut the end off but do not put them together. All I do is cut them a little dif length so they cannot touch and dip them in silicone individually. At some time I also used heat shrink but normally just silicone..

As Phil taught me - in S5 there is a "window " prop. I built my own and was having issues until Phil told me about the window prop.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

Sounds like you are maybe thinking about LED strands on an AC controller. Smart pixels and strips have 3 or 4 wires and in either case twisting the ends together would be bad. Smart pixels have a 5 or 12 Volt positive and negative and a data line.

Smart pixels need no termination, just cut them off and insulate the ends with heat shrink to keep the water out.

• Like 1