Light-O-Rama Forums

Seeing Christmas lights already

Speedster

On the way back from my 2 daughters' appointments in Green Bay yesterday we saw 5 or 6 houses that already had Christmas lights/decor on their houses and/or yards.  Many trees on business-zoned streets were also lit up with lights.  When we were a few blocks from our house we saw 2 houses that had some Christmas lights/decor.

Anyone else seeing houses lit up with Christmas lights & decor already?  I think this is the earliest that I've seen them.

Yep.  As soon as Halloween was over, Christmas lights started showing up.

Other than some testing starting soon, I am 17 days, 9 hours, 32 minutes from show startup...

22 minutes ago, Speedster said:

On the way back from my 2 daughters' appointments in Green Bay yesterday we saw 5 or 6 houses that already had Christmas lights/decor on their houses and/or yards.  Many trees on business-zoned streets were also lit up with lights.  When we were a few blocks from our house we saw 2 houses that had some Christmas lights/decor.

Anyone else seeing houses lit up with Christmas lights & decor already?  I think this is the earliest that I've seen them.

As I put them up I test them but my entire show starts at one time, Thanksgiving day.

I have not seen any here but I dont get out much.

JR

16 hours ago, dibblejr said:

As I put them up I test them but my entire show starts at one time, Thanksgiving day.

I have not seen any here but I dont get out much.

JR

Quite a few in our neighborhood already have some up as well.   haven't seen anything really spectacular, just some tossed on their stair hand rail or on some bushes or trees in their yards.  1 or 2 did have them up on their eaves, but they weren't on and they never remove them from year to year, but our new management here is putting a stop to folks leaving lights up all year round on their house.   Gave my neighbor a hard time about his being up in late January this year and told him to get them down.

I was going to put mine up and leave them year round, but doesn't matter if they can be used every night or for different things {smart RGB types}, they want them down within 2 weeks after Christmas Day is over and done or so the memo goes.

And of course with the stupid T.S. Eta, I'm going to be very late getting my lights up this year, doubt I'm going to be anywhere near ready by Thanksgiving, but hoping.

well i started two weeks ago and so far i only have my mega tree up, THIS Rain is killing me. I am so far behind and now i hear tropical storm ETA is heading straight for us in Clay County , so it looks like more delays i hope i get my show finished by Black Friday.

Fort Lauderdale   RAIN RAIN RAIN,  then ETA blew and blew.   Already had trees and props that got damaged spent last two days fixing things.  WINDY, GEZZZZZ  Had a nine foot art tree go down ,bent the main pole at the stand, had to fix that and then the 8.5 tree got the same bend. They are now  in some serious bondage ,tied down in five places with wire and nylon rope ,and it's still windy here .  A week ago it rained so hard it washed the lites off of two trees. WE have been here 16 years and it has never rained like this .golly. I  have two wire cage trees that got bent badly ,that's my today project. along with getting the roof snow flakes up. With the wind I may need a anchor. The audio system is up and working with the new subwoofers for  Fanfare For Common Man  sequence.

But the show will go on ,plan  to start Thanksgiving night. been testing as I go and all the lites work, the controllers are mounted just have to run all the cords.  All the best to yall !!!!!

David L Hardin  DLH LITES

Looks like many of us are going through the same thing, rain and storms.

Wish everyone the best of lighting season and in the end we always pull it off.

But it gives me more time to sequence.

JR

Looked out the kitchen window last night ans saw a Reflection of my Veterans day lights (a very simple R W B on the Eves *).

Wait, that is WRONG! What are all those other colors doing in there? Walked out in front and the neighbor across the street had the lights put up (I thought it was the painters back to do some touchup)

* Just the eve lights stayed up from Halloween

I was seeing some people had their lights up and on even before Halloween.  I've just about got everything done for my show which will start up on Friday after Thanksgiving.

One house about a mile away from me is all decked out with the lights on. I'll give a pass on the decorating. But can't we wait until around Thanksgiving before lighting things up??? (Not that I don't enjoy seeing the lights. 😁)

Edited by BryanZ

9 hours ago, BryanZ said:

One house about a mile away from me is all decked out with the lights on. I'll give a pass on the decorating. But can't we wait until around Thanksgiving before lighting things up??? (Not that I don't enjoy seeing the lights. 😁)

It's not official until Thanksgiving for most of us. 

What folks are seeing when we LIGHT UP our displays PRIOR to Thanksgiving, is we're testing everything out once we have it up and set in place.  

Then we can see if we need to change, tweak or modify something that just doesn't look right as the show runs.   So even though it's lit, at least for me, it's not really official until Thanksgiving evening.  Testing has to be done.

Yeah, Thanksgiving for me too. At 17:28:30, my show will go live for the first time this year. I toss in a couple of simple startup sequences then the main show begins.

2 hours ago, dgrant said:

Yeah, Thanksgiving for me too. At 17:28:30, my show will go live for the first time this year. I toss in a couple of simple startup sequences then the main show begins.

OK, gotta ask why that particular time?  My show opens on the Friday after Thanksgiving with a special startup time of 7:00 PM.  The rest of the season the show starts at 5:00.

Felt good late yesterday afternoon, the first of the Christmas stuff was set up and tested fully operational.  Had a good day yesterday.  Got the frame for the pixel tree stood up and the arches fully installed and tested.  I will likely get the perimeter string up this evening after work, and hope to have at least most of the strings for the pixel tree completed and installed this weekend.  The FM was set up last weekend and is running the Demented Elf Radio Network.

I have approximately 90 seconds in a couple of startup sequences that are very short, for example the Jeopardy 30 second countdown and a THX intro with the Minions. Sometimes I'll add in my simple sequence from the Griswolds so I'll go a haiur earlier on startup. But the main show should start very close to 17:30:00. Sorry, its the engineer in me...details.... 

• The topic was locked