Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Questions

Guest guest

Having been on PC for only a month and having had my controller and software for even less time, I have been going back and rereading many of the chatroom topics. These bring some questions to mind.

Can one of those portable hard drives be used in lieu of a computer permanently attached to the controllers? I guess the real question being, does the computer actually run the show or is it used only to store the sequences? If the computer is required, does it need to be powered up continuously or have someone turn it on before the show begins?

If the LOR Director (LOR-DC-MP3) is used, can the sequences be downloaded directly from the computer to the Director (and the SD Card) through the RS485 connection or would I need to purchase a separate SD Card writer to attach to my computer to write to the card? If I do need a separate SD Card writer, any recommendations? Also, what is the recommended minimum capacity of the SD Card, i.e., 512MB, 1 Gig, etc?

I have been going back over the sequencing tutorials quite a bit, trying to get more familiar with the sequencing as well as playing around with the software that I downloaded. I don't know if anyone can answer this yet since the LOR II software has not been released, but -- does anyone know if the layout and on screen appearance is basically the same as the original LOR software. On more than one occasion, I have upgraded software only to have to learn where familiar functions have been relocated. Being really new at this, should I just wait for the LOR II software so I don't have to unlearn the original software? Is the information contained in the on-line tutorials applicable to LOR II?

From what I am reading, LOR boards can be standalone. You make the sequence then upload it to the board. You then do not need a computer after this. As for the new LOR products and software, there are previous posts on this matter which gives a basic idea on how each new or upgraded product will work. Do not forget to check out the LOR wiki site for additional information. From the talk that I have read in the recent post, the new LOR products are going to blow your socks off. :laughing:

The PC does run the show.

The Director Card w MP3 Player will come with an SD card and a USB connected Card writer. The Card is 128mb which is big enough for about 30 standard musical sequences and their MP3 files.

90% of what you learn with the current sofware will help you with LORII...

Richard III wrote:

Dose the computer need to be on in order to run the show if you don't use standalone

Thanks

If you don't use standalone, yes the computer needs to be on for the show to run. The controllers are taking their cues from the computer. If the computer is not on nothing will happen.

If you do use standalone all of the cues are sent from one of your controllers.

At this point in time, if you use musical sequences then you will also need to computer.

The reason I say "At this point in time" is because Dan of Light O Rama has said they will release a MP3 player card that will be able to play MP3's so you wouldn't need the computer.