Light-O-Rama Forums

64 Bit version

bdwillie

Curiosity has me asking if there will ever be a 64 bit version of LOR, or is it already and I am unaware (a very good likelyhood LOL).  Not thinking of switching to the other who's name shall not be typed here😉, just a curiosity thing

It would be nice to see a native 64 bit version of LOR.  However, I recall one of the developers commented a while back that there really was no need for it, and they want to maintain compatibility with the large number of people running older 32 bit computers as Show Players.

Makes sense for the PLAYER part. (I cant imagine many Sequence on a old 32 bit system with 3.2G RAM)

But I think the editor part could really gain some benefit.

18 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Makes sense for the PLAYER part. (I cant imagine many Sequence on a old 32 bit system with 3.2G RAM)

But I think the editor part could really gain some benefit.

I'm using an OLD ANTIQUE for Sequencing, it's only got 2GB Ram and 1.80Ghz Celeron 430 Processor.   It's SLOW, but it gets the work done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orville said:

I'm using an OLD ANTIQUE for Sequencing, it's only got 2GB Ram and 1.80Ghz Celeron 430 Processor.   It's SLOW, but it gets the work done.

OMG I thought my 15YO Toshiba w/Turion and 4G was bad (slow)

16 hours ago, TheDucks said:

OMG I thought my 15YO Toshiba w/Turion and 4G was bad (slow)

If I add or change just a small bit in the sequence and resave it for the simple update, it can take up to 15, sometimes 20 minutes before I can start doing anything else.   If I make a lot of changes, this beast is so slow, I can go cook dinner, have a couple cups of coffee and desert, and it still may not be finished saving by the time I get back to the computer.

After a certain male cat killed my decent system that had 4GB, a faster processor, an add-on graphic accelerator card and an add on 5 port USB internal port card {4 exterior on the back, 1 interior - which I never quite understood why an interior USB port.  Never saw a use for it}.  Now that one was a lot faster and I could get stuff done a whole lot quicker.

I was lucky to be able to piece this beast I'm using now together and have at least a working computer, kind of why I bought an N4-G4 Director to run my shows because I know this computer would have some issues with doing so.  It does well just to play and see a sequence and controllers work for testing purposes!   If I could have added my graphics accelerator card and 5 Port USB card in it, that would have helped a little bit with some of the speed and saving issues with the SE.  But the case is a desktop type and the add on cards, even though they'll fit the add-on sockets, they won't fit the case, so they were unusable in it.

Sometimes you just gotta use what you got, even though it takes forever and a day to get anything done.

Interior USB is more a Business thing. Some software needs A USB 'Key" in place to function. Inside the case is a safe spot (They charge a LOT, to replace a damaged one)

32 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Interior USB is more a Business thing. Some software needs A USB 'Key" in place to function. Inside the case is a safe spot (They charge a LOT, to replace a damaged one)

Interesting.  I've never heard of this before.  Never ever seen a software program that would require a USB key to operate.   Be very curious to know, just what kind of "business" software requires such a thing and why it needs one?

6 hours ago, Orville said:

Interesting.  I've never heard of this before.  Never ever seen a software program that would require a USB key to operate.   Be very curious to know, just what kind of "business" software requires such a thing and why it needs one?

We have some software at work that does that.  You can install the software on as many computers as you want, but can only run it on the one that has the USB "key" plugged in.  BTW, it's about $35K per license copy.

USB "key" also known as a dongle. As TheDucks said, some business (usually small business) software allows the software to be installed on multiple computers but must have the dongle plugged in on the computer in order to open the software on that computer. Supposedly helps prevent license piracy. I have some embroidery software that uses it. Having an internal  USB on my computer would free up an external USB port.

• The topic was locked