Light-O-Rama Forums

Wattage of PSU

~DOC~

I bought the 16 x100 pixie 16 12v kit this summer. I cannot find PSU wattage in the manual. Curious to what size the meanwell PSU is? I am guessing 350W but that would not make sense. It could not drive all 1600 pixels. 
correct me if I am wrong...   
32 strings of 50= 1600 pixels

each string of 50 = 15w

15w x 32 strings =480w total needed. 

Reason being I have my mega tree on 8 ports. Each port has 100 pixels. (1 Fold). That’s 240w on the tree.  I have 8 ports left and was going to run the 8 mini trees (50 each). That bring the grand total to 1200 pixels. Which if it is only a350w PSU. It won’t cut it. I need 360w. Any additional pixels above that I should be cooking the PSU. 

The pixie16 comes with a 500w PSU.

The 500w psu will handle the 1600 but I do not recommend adding any more.

You can add that second psu to have both banks controlled by a 500w 

You can add a second PSU - 1 per bank. That is how I build them a pixie16 gets at least 700 and I have 1 with 1400 well it’s a pixie16 and 8 combined 

All other pixies I build have at least 500wattS

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

The 500w psu will handle the 1600 but I do not recommend adding any more.

Only going to 1200 so it is good to know

I also do Per Bank PSU when needed (not all my controllers max out outputs)

I happen to like using External models and put 2 controllers in the case. My Tree (dumb) has 2 CMB24 and I still  🙄 have to borrow ports for the center string (there are 17 strings in a half circle) and the topper.

Others have a Pixie4 and a CMB24 all on a single 400W.

Do your maths for each case, leave a extra margin if you run hard (lots of White) AMD pay attention to BUS Limits  8 * Ports (maxed out) is more than the bus rating . 💡 Balance the Bigger loads between the buses

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

I also do Per Bank PSU when needed (not all my controllers max out outputs)

I happen to like using External models and put 2 controllers in the case. My Tree (dumb) has 2 CMB24 and I still  🙄 have to borrow ports for the center string (there are 17 strings in a half circle) and the topper.

Others have a Pixie4 and a CMB24 all on a single 400W.

Do your maths for each case, leave a extra margin if you run hard (lots of White) AMD pay attention to BUS Limits  8 * Ports (maxed out) is more than the bus rating . 💡 Balance the Bigger loads between the buses

I dislike having an external PSU. Extra stuff out in the open and they do not come with high wattages. (At least I have not located any)

In the beginning of my pixie16 builds using the CG1500 I placed the controller on top of one psu and another psu was mounted in the door.

The first beta pixie16 LOR sent me to test was mounted in a huge enclosure with a commercial grade meanwell 750. The enclosure cost more than a brand new LOR preassembled pixie16.

After beta I added a pixie8 to this enclosure and they control my matrix.

When HC started selling their 2500 enclosure I stacked two psu’s and the pcb was mounted next to them

Now a friend makes some mounts that allows me to install the psu’s standing up on a side so I have even more space to add additional nice to have items in all of my builds.

JR

I use closet poles and portable holes (Stake style) for my controllers (all the cables keep them pointed  where I put them).  FWIW the top of the pole has a screw eye so I can Hang them for storage (on a J hook)

So I mounted the Weather resistant  400W PSU (or 2) on the back  (a bank can handle 360W @12V  and I am only running 50 nodes per dumb port. I do push 2 ports on my Pixie 4's to 100, but the other 2 are lighter loaded (About 240W total)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OrEZiskjJj2fhwuzkadZ22k9mZ9LZU30/view?usp=sharing The fans face down (as marked on the label)

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

I use closet poles and portable holes (Stake style) for my controllers (all the cables keep them pointed  where I put them).  FWIW the top of the pole has a screw eye so I can Hang them for storage (on a J hook)

So I mounted the Weather resistant  400W PSU (or 2) on the back  (a bank can handle 360W @12V  and I am only running 50 nodes per dumb port. I do push 2 ports on my Pixie 4's to 100, but the other 2 are lighter loaded (About 240W total)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OrEZiskjJj2fhwuzkadZ22k9mZ9LZU30/view?usp=sharing The fans face down (as marked on the label)

Yes, I do mount the only external psu's (CF50D's) I have to my controller poles and or circle supports. I just prefer to not have all of the extra stuff hanging around.

My pixie4's have 500 watts my 8's and 16's all have at least 750. Just in case I ever need PI , I will have a source in all directions. So far so good ive never needed pi.

HC used to sell those 400w externals. Yesterday a member I was helping could use a 400 psu for bank 2 on his pixie16. In a pinch I suggested an external of 400 or 500 watts but could not find one. HC stopped selling them.

Where is your source for the 400 or are those from HC? thanks 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I have never been a big fan of external (supposed to be waterproof) power supplies.  All of my power supplies are either inside the house or my brick columns or in waterproof electrical boxes.  I only have four controllers that have AC sources (three CCP, and one CTB16) that are outside.  The CTB16 is semi-sheltered, and the CCP controllers are under trash bags (more to hide them that waterproofing).  You can see one here:

http://newburghlights.org/photos/2014_2_arches.jpg

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Ok I have an idea but want clarification on your term of bank and bus. If I am correct I may have to do some rework.

3 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Ok I have an idea but want clarification on your term of bank and bus. If I am correct I may have to do some rework.

They are interchangeable however a bus is usually in a power panel a bank as I know them normally refers to a particular side. Yes you would have to remove the bridge LOR uses to bridge both banks . Of course you would leave the wires on one of them. the two banks and add a psu and just attach those wires to the right or left.

Its not a lot of work. Straight forward even if you only study whats there already.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

They are interchangeable however a bus is usually in a power panel a bank as I know them normally refers to a particular side. Yes you would have to remove the bridge LOR uses to bridge both banks . Of course you would leave the wires on one of them. the two banks and add a psu and just attach those wires to the right or left.

Its not a lot of work. Straight forward even if you only study whats there already.

JR

Now more question so 8 ports 1-8 is a bank. 9-16 is another. Is there an issue where I should possibly put 1-4 port and 9-12 port on my mega tree and use the other ports for mini trees or is using 1-8 port for the mega OK. Each port is at 100 pixels. When I get the mini trees up that will only have 9-16 port with 50 pixels each.

5 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Now more question so 8 ports 1-8 is a bank. 9-16 is another. Is there an issue where I should possibly put 1-4 port and 9-12 port on my mega tree and use the other ports for mini trees or is using 1-8 port for the mega OK. Each port is at 100 pixels. When I get the mini trees up that will only have 9-16 port with 50 pixels each.

Other than sequencing no problem there, however IMO your 500w PSU should be able to handle what you have. Have you physically tested it?

You can move your channel buttons to sequence or copy paste.

Edited by dibblejr

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Other than sequencing no problem there, however IMO your 500w PSU should be able to handle what you have. Have you physically tested it?

I’ve tested the mega tree and all is good. Max white saw no issues. Very bright. I have not hooked the mini yet. Still waiting on boscoyo. 😖I do have another pixie as back up though but be much easier just the one out there.

51 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

The Bus is what moves power to the Channels

My Bank is what LOR empties frequently 😛

J/K In this case  they are almost identical. in usage.  You have a Bank of channels that reside on the power Bus

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ~DOC~ said:

I’ve tested the mega tree and all is good. Max white saw no issues. Very bright. I have not hooked the mini yet. Still waiting on boscoyo. 😖I do have another pixie as back up though but be much easier just the one out there.

If you have the lights you can connect them wherever you plan on placing the other tree so that you can be prepared. 

JR

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If you have the lights you can connect them wherever you plan on placing the other tree so that you can be prepared. 

JR

Good point. I will do that this weekend. Will be colder so it would be a better test

• The topic was locked