Light-O-Rama Forums

New Need Help to Start.

Coach

I'm looking to buy my first light show system but just not sure what all I need. Some items say ready to use? Then I see that there are other things you need to buy like a FM trans? Can I use my LEDs that I have? I don't really need to create anything, I am ok to just buy the sequencing. 

Coach

Where in Florida are you, there are a bunch of us in Florida that can help. Now realize this is the busiest of times setting up, like us, my buddy across the street and I decorate 12 houses and it takes 4 weeks 6-8 hour days to be live Thanksgiving night. So your responses may be a little longer and short.

Are you planning staying LED or might you  venture into RGB, it makes a difference if you don't want to spend a fortune twice. I am all LED, the short experimate with RGB I didn't do so good and I sold them off, I found the RGB over my head for sequencing and will just stay LED.

The Light O Rama equipment is top drawer and you wont find better help from any company. Give us a little more info and stand by, this forum is full of great people.

Keith

1 hour ago, Coach said:

I'm looking to buy my first light show system but just not sure what all I need. Some items say ready to use? Then I see that there are other things you need to buy like a FM trans? Can I use my LEDs that I have? I don't really need to create anything, I am ok to just buy the sequencing. 

I'm outside of Gainesville in Bronson. I have the 2018 show lights from Home Depot that is now not compatible with their newer lights. So with that $500+ spent I wanted to retrofit those with other RGB lights so that I can expand. But I really don't care which ones I go with. The RGB's are harder to find then LED. So I will take any suggestions. To give you the whole story, I was looking at buying a Used Light-O-Rama Controller LOR 800 Commercial because my wife has put me on a tight budget. :( However I don't want to buy something that I have to turn around and buy another $500 worth of stuff just to get started. 

Coach, If you have some time drop down and see me in Ocala and I can guide you the right if you want to stay LED.  I'm located just off I75 1 1/2 mi on HY 27. I do have some equipment for sale also.

Earle

IMHO Dumb (either AC or Dumb RGB) is the way to start. If you have standard AC strings all you need is a AC controller  (And if Earle does not have any left, there are folk here who switched to Smart RGB and are offloading perfectly good equipment.) Do be cautious with ebay stuff. Many of the sequences were stolen from folk who shared here (the reason many stopped or have you agree to not distribute). I don't think a newbie wants a Gen 1 AC (once you have experience, the limits may be acceptable)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach said:

I'm outside of Gainesville in Bronson. I have the 2018 show lights from Home Depot that is now not compatible with their newer lights. So with that $500+ spent I wanted to retrofit those with other RGB lights so that I can expand. But I really don't care which ones I go with. The RGB's are harder to find then LED. So I will take any suggestions. To give you the whole story, I was looking at buying a Used Light-O-Rama Controller LOR 800 Commercial because my wife has put me on a tight budget. :( However I don't want to buy something that I have to turn around and buy another $500 worth of stuff just to get started. 

Coach

If you find the time visit with Earle Talley in Ocala, he is a treasure chest of knowledge and expertise. If your lucky he will have some equipment for sale.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

Coach, If you have some time drop down and see me in Ocala and I can guide you the right if you want to stay LED.  I'm located just off I75 1 1/2 mi on HY 27. I do have some equipment for sale also.

Earle

Never knew you were in Ocala. I'm over in Citrus county. We put on the LightUpCitrus display in Lecanto. Nice to see a local here. I have met a few on here. I think it was Kapkirk I bought arches from. If that was him I still feel bad that my husky decided to go swimming in his pool lol. Also met a couple other locals by me that use lor but they really don't frequent the forums much.

Edited by GriswoldStyle
  • Thanks 1

GriswoldStyle drop over sometime just to BS or if I can be of any help just call or PM me. Keep in mind I'm still OLD SCHOOL.

Earle

• Haha 1

All my wife's relatives live either in Ocala, Gainesville or Cedar Key, FL.  But since we both gave up driving and our vehicles, don't get over that way any longer now.   Used to visit the area quite frequently prior to quitting driving due to health and medical reasons.

@Coach: If LOR says it's ready to go, it usually in most case will include everything you need, however, some ready to go items may not {RGB items usually don't}, RGB items usually won't come as a "starter package" which would give you everything you need to get started and sequencing.   So if you have any specific type LOR items in mind that you wish to start off with and need additional information, this is the forum to come to and ask about them.

Someone here will always be ready to help you out as they can.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

Earle

How does your Sunday look? We go to church in Ocala so we could stop by after.