Light-O-Rama Forums

Security Camera survey

ItsMeBobO

This spring I purchased a LORex security camera system.   It has LOR in the name so I expect it to be good.      I  was wondering what others do with their cameras related to show traffic.   I have an extra camera which I want to mount on a tree at the street.  All the other cameras are mounted on the house.  Has anyone had guests notice a camera and mention it to you they were bothered by it? 

I have used mine (Hikvision Domes and clones) to fine tune my simple animated sequence.

I also kept my eye on my Halloween props (although, the Rose bushes did discourage deviating from the walkway 😛 )

Just now, TheDucks said:

I have used mine (Hikvision Domes and clones) to fine tune my simple animated sequence.

I also kept my eye on my Halloween props (although, the Rose bushes did discourage deviating from the walkway 😛 )

BTW these were all POE. Cat5 is so much easier than Siamese Coax

I have one of these.

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html

I keep it outside on my bird feeders. Battery lasts about a month between charges.  Comes with a WiFi base station. No wires at all.

Saves 12s clips to a free cloud account, or you can put a micro sd card inside.

It's not really a full time security cam and the motion detection is a bit finicky, but the image quality is good and it can do time lapse and it can go anywhere.

I have cameras all over the place.  I have never had anyone even mention them.  I actually have two systems.  Years ago I bought a old analog camera security system that by today's standards is pretty crappy.  I have plans to upgrade, but it never gets high enough on the financial priority list... 

Like Phil, I also have a bunch of the Wyze cameras - but not the outdoor camera version.  The Wyze cameras are not the greatest, but they are only $20 each.  For Christmas I put one on the front porch of my neighbor across the street.  Wyze has recently announced a new camera version that starts shipping some time this month that has far better night vision capability.  I have four on pre-order and am looking forward to getting them in time for the show.  The top row and bottom left and essentially permanent yard cameras.  The bottom middle is a dashcam in my truck, and bottom right is supposed to be looking down my driveway (not sure why it's not connected).  BTW, the cameras normally look a little better than the top three look, but they are all essentially staring into the morning sun.  For $20 each they are pretty good.  I have a uSD card in each camera.

6_Wyze_cameras_of_yard.png

I have 4 wyze cams in my display facing different directions. They sell bird houses for them that make them water resistant. Haven't had any water damage mine yet and have had them outside for a couple years now. Total we have eight plus a ring doorbell camera. Wyze are cheap and easy to use but you really have to tweak your alerts otherwise they will constantly go off but in the app you can do all of that. I have two signs of my yard that say security cameras and use nobody's ever said anything about it though. 

5 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Still not reading your images, Jim

Depends on what browser you are using, but thanks for the update.  I guess I'm going to have to break down and figure out to encrypt my website - which really has ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to be encrypted - other that some people think everything should be.

1 hour ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I cant see the image either

I have a LOREX 32 camera system. Color nightvision

Ive has Lorex for years 

The current system is about 7 years old.

Nobody has ever noticed them during the show that I know of. I also have signs and as long as you do not record sound (at least in my state) it does not matter what’s on the camera.

I can see Jim’s images. Nice pretty blue sky in one of them.

JR

13 hours ago, TheDucks said:

BTW these were all POE. Cat5 is so much easier than Siamese Coax

I use my POE cables as runners for some of my controllers.

I also use junction boxes outside on the home and I use the main feeder box as my house pass through for my show network cables.

JR

16 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

This spring I purchased a LORex security camera system.   It has LOR in the name so I expect it to be good.      I  was wondering what others do with their cameras related to show traffic.   I have an extra camera which I want to mount on a tree at the street.  All the other cameras are mounted on the house.  Has anyone had guests notice a camera and mention it to you they were bothered by it? 

No cameras here yet, but here's a story for you.  Our church bought and installed some high-end night-vision cameras, some homeless person about in their late 20's, early 30's came to the church, saw them and stole several of them, but before they did, they disconnected the cameras that could see what they were doing, then stole the cameras.  Church made a police report, but the LEO's said they could do nothing because no other camera caught the thief stealing the cameras they heisted!   These were wired cameras, not Wifi types.   I personally thought the cameras were mounted far too low, which made them a prime target for anyone that wanted to disconnect and steal them.  As anyone could have gotten behind the camera and not be seen, then disconnect and heist the camera, which is precisely what the thief did.

All they got on one camera was him walking into the Church parking lot with a screw driver in his hand, camera went off and then was gone.  But because the camera, nor anyone saw the thief physically take it, they claimed nothing could be done.

When I finally do get some cameras to install for security, I'm going to make sure mine are high enough up and out of reach without the use of a very long, tall ladder to remove them!   And seriously considering very small wireless units so they can actually be completely hidden from view, no one will even know they're being watched or recorded!

Edited by Orville

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I can see Jim’s images. Nice pretty blue sky in one of them.

JR

I think it's a Chrome issue with non encrypted sites.

I have cameras on my house  year round, they work great for keeping up with traffic. I also put one in the middle of the display to monitor people walking in the display.

fb64d60097cf8f0198507b60c2c59f56.jpg

36504bcfc1c01c1d3ee2fe3cea65768e.jpg

Thanks Doug and all for the replies.   I am asking about a camera in the middle of the guest action.  Like on that tree in your bottom picture Doug.   My two views  of the street from cameras on the house are about 30-40 feet away and everything looks small. When I look out the window from the camera position everything seems so much bigger.   The wide angle of the camera catches a lot but smaller than life.  I am wanting to add a POE camera not attached to the house but instead on a tree looking down close up at cars.  I already have Cat5 to this tree for a 50w flood.    This camera would get noticed by some guests as it has a little red light when the night mode is on.   Maybe black tape?

5 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Thanks Doug and all for the replies.   I am asking about a camera in the middle of the guest action.  Like on that tree in your bottom picture Doug.   My two views  of the street from cameras on the house are about 30-40 feet away and everything looks small. When I look out the window from the camera position everything seems so much bigger.   The wide angle of the camera catches a lot but smaller than life.  I am wanting to add a POE camera not attached to the house but instead on a tree looking down close up at cars.  I already have Cat5 to this tree for a 50w flood.    This camera would get noticed by some guests as it has a little red light when the night mode is on.   Maybe black tape?

Yes,  Lorex needs better apps with more or less confusing functions, Esp in the review aspect of things,

However  if you have a screen connected to your NVR you will be able to see things large.

The old Lorex app was much better than the revision they had about 3 years ago.

I still have both but only the new one functions on my home system.

The old app functions on the old system that watches my 2 storage buildings.

If you place the tape on the light you will lose IR capability, it will be black. I doubt almost no one or perhaps no body will see the red light. I have a camera and a driveway sensor on a tree and no one seems to notice. Not even the Amazon driver who decided he would take a whiz on my tune to sign last year. Got the entire wiggler on camera and immediately forwarded to Mr. Bezos. 

I received a lot of apologies from the corporate and was assured every supervisor in Amazon was made to watch that video.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Confused 1