Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 and Pixie 8 will not light up my pixels

indi

I built a few props earlier this year and tested a couple of pixels strings, they worked. So I then built my props, did my sequencing. Then had health problems and was out for a few months.

Now I brought a prop in and connected it to the Pixie 8 and nothing. Tried the Pixie 16 and the same. One controller at a time I checked them with the Hardware Utility and it found the controller. Then I daisy chained to pixie 8 and pixie 16 and the HU found them both. Tried to test the pixels and nothing. I do have a solid red light on the controller. These controllers are in the Network as Aux. B set at 500 and enhanced.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Are both controllers New or have either worked before?

What LED voltage? Does it match the PSU  (we had another lighter hook his old CCR to a new RTG Pixie. Ooops 12V to 5V strings)

Lets eliminate a wiring  (or config) error. What happens when you give the white button on the controller a short press? (self test sequence expected)

These are new controllers. New 12 volt meanwell power supplies, and running 12 volts. All LED'S are WS2811 12 volt. After pushing the little white button, the lights worked and ran a test.

Must be in my configuration, but I can't get it figured out. 

I am using 8 controllers (6 ea 16 ch. AC controllers and2 cmb controllers)on the regular network and 8 CCP controllers on AUX A. and a Pixcon 16 E1.31. I am trying to add the pixie 16 (controller Unit ID 19) and pixie 8 controller (Unit ID 20)to AUX B enhanced mod.

You did not allow for a BLOCK of ID's on the Pixies

If you Pixie16 is ID 18, it consumes 19,1A,1B,1C,1D,1E,1F,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27), So the next controller is 28

I have the pixie 16 as unit 19 and the pixie 8 as unit 20.

I did my visualizations as DMX. So I thought of it as pixie 16 as controller 19 and port 1 as universe 18 and port 2 as universe 19 etc.

I guess I messed up and don't know how to straighten it out. I guess once I get the controllers talking, I'll have to make new props and do a resequencing with the right props.

Pixie ID are USED by port But only assigned by Board.

I like to assign Pixie IDs on Hex Bit 4 boundaries 0,4,8,C (I use  mostly Pixie 4 because many settings are Board only). I leave a Gap, so last year, when I needed 5 ports, the Pixie4  simply got swapped for a Pixie 8 set to the old ID)

So thepixie16  board would be 20(-2F). No spotting the MSB was odd for some ports. With Pro, you are not ID bound 😄

The bottom line is if you assigned the Pixie16 ID 19 it will use:

19, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28. 

The Pixie8 will have to start at ID 29 and it will use:

29, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 30.

No universes on a Pixie controller.

8 minutes ago, indi said:

Thanks everybody. I have it figured out. I just wish that I could have used a 100 pixels per port.

Why can't you??  Distance ? 5V (and don't want to PI)?

Or are you slamming into the bus limit  (15A for 4 or 8. 15A for the 16)? Balance the BUS loads by putting some 100px on the other bus. (or power inject). Ask yourself: How much do I have all White (2 colors full on, should only be 100% of a port ability) and for what % of the time.

Halloween I have 3 ports with 100px (2 are on the same Pixie4)

Xmas I add 3 snowflakes (72px ea)

Two things you need to do to use 100 + pixels

Go to the HU ccr/pixie config tab

setbthem at 100

add the controller to your sequence (S4)

Prop def in S5

and select 100 pixels per port

I don’t understand the “wish I could use 100 pixels” comment.

JR

I do have my pixie 8 set for 100 in the HU.

When using SuperStar it only allows me 50 pixels per string when importing a visualization. For my 4 circles, I wanted to use 2 ports at 100 pixels each.

And I can't get the visualizer to let me use 100 pixels per port when tiring to create a prop. 

Example: Circle 1...port 1...top of circle 1C...pixels 1-25, circle 1...port 1..bottom of circle...1C..pixels 26-50. Circle 2....port 1...top of circle 1C...pixels 51-75, circle 2...port 1..bottom of circle...1C..pixels 76-100 etc.

Thanks

As I recall, Visualizer has a limit of 50 pixels on a LOR string and that is something that LOR has stated that they are not fixing.  Maybe a little push to go to S5 (where long LOR strings are no problem).

Yea, I agree. I have tried the pixel editor and for me it's too much of a learning curve. I really like using the Visualizer. I have played around with the S4 Pixel editor and really don't care for it. I guess it is what a person is used too.  

I am too old to try to learn something new and and my health is failing so this maybe my last year to do a show.

Merry Christmas to all.

46 minutes ago, indi said:

Yea, I agree. I have tried the pixel editor and for me it's too much of a learning curve. I really like using the Visualizer. I have played around with the S4 Pixel editor and really don't care for it. I guess it is what a person is used too.  

I am too old to try to learn something new and and my health is failing so this maybe my last year to do a show.

Merry Christmas to all.

Sorry to hear about your health.

If you had a second computer you could try S5 you may find it pretty simple.

I was the "not going to S5" person when it was first introduced in Beta. Almost everyone I know I call pioneers of S5, LOL.

I first tried S5 in January. After spending a lot of time ensuring my S4 Vis was clean and everything was the way I wanted it I imported it to S5. It didn't go well so back to S4. Tried again about a month later and had the same results. I received some help and created the preview manually. I ran my Covid Show March 15 - July 4. I had absolutely no problems with that show.

I am still mostly copying and pasting my old S4 sequences in S5 and it works. Sure there are some hiccups but what we both have in common, there are a lot of great forum members who are well versed in S5 who will take time to help those of us who ask. Im not in the best of health but S5 helps a little because with the use of ME rows it reduces the time spent sequencing.

Happy Lighting thoughts and prayers for better health.

JR

Thanks dibblejr.

I used the pixel Editor in S4 and feel it's limited in what I want to do. I use SuperStar the most and very happy with the results. I use the Sub sequence to import Superstar into my sequences.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...