Light-O-Rama Forums

Setup of roof line with smart pixels

Matt R

I want to change from traditional lights along my roof line to smart pixels (for 2021), but I'm assuming that a 100 pixel string is only 100-200" long (8-16'), and I would have to route more than 2 adjacent to each other to complete the roof line. Can someone explain via text and/or diagram how they setup the placement of the pixel strings and the controllers to span the entirety of a roof line?

Also, what type of LOR smart pixel string would you recommend for a roof line? I'm thinking the 12V square bulb, but curious about your opinions / experiences.

Thank you in advance!

Squares are flat. That means you need to make a mount so they face your audience.

I happen to use Holiday Coro 12V bullets I inserted into Plastic Plumbers tape I got at Amazon that I drilled to 12mm every 4th hole. (~12.5' per 50 or 25'per 100).  The clips make them face front.

Each Pixie port has the ability to reverse so Port 1 feeds the Left string, Port 2 the Right  That's 50' with the controller right at the string ends.

💡 A bigger controller  (ports) is not always the best. Those are great for when everything starts within 15-20' from the controller. But you really do not want long cables to the fist node.

BTW with 12V pixels, I do not need power injection for 100 node strings. Also note: putting 100 node strings (6A) on all ports of a Pixie bank can Exceed the current spec (all white) of a bank (and port fuse). Short bursts of all white should not be an issue.

Are you able to explain how you get multiple strings ie port 1 and port 2 (I require 3 ports) to all display the same motion in the superstar sequencer when your designing.  Everytime I try to choose all the strings for the roofline they sequencer says I have to choose just one at a time.  Then when pieced together they look like just that.  Pieced together and not one item doing the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use the CCR II bulbs for roof lines. There are a whole lot more options for holding them on, unless you want a pernament mount.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:33 AM, smailliw said:

Are you able to explain how you get multiple strings ie port 1 and port 2 (I require 3 ports) to all display the same motion in the superstar sequencer when your designing.  Everytime I try to choose all the strings for the roofline they sequencer says I have to choose just one at a time.  Then when pieced together they look like just that.  Pieced together and not one item doing the same thing.

It is all in (how you do) the sequence 😛 My drip edge is 132 nodes (I don't do ridges any more. 1 eye, cr*p balance)

Just over 60'   100n -32n-100n

Port1 is reversed since the controller is in the middle. (makes pix 1 at the far end)

Port 2 does the corner (32 nodes)

Port 3 is the other 100.  My basic chase just converges near the corner (node 116,117)