Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 Cable runs and Sequences.

overeazy

OK I got started in 2006 and went dark after 2015 because the new tech was over my head and getting old is hard.  Since I kept all my equipment I decided to bring it back a little smaller.  Of course every year I needed to add more and got up to 352 channels and think it got too much so this year am going to cut it back to about 250 and my CCR tree.  My question is when running  the cat 5 (rj45) cable from the controller can you add a splitter so you can then go left and right?  In the past I run them just one after another which meant some back tracking.  Not sure why I did not ask about it before.  And it seemed years ago there was several web sites when you could go where people were  sharing their sequences.  Seems all those sites are gone now.  Either people are no longer sharing as much or they left the hobby.  I remember when Planet Christmas was the site to go to and seems very few go there now.  Any help would be appreciated. 

No.  The RS-485 spec requires a single end to end network.  With that said, there is nothing that says that the signal source needs to be at one end.  You CAN put the source in the middle with a little effort.  What you can't (or at least are not supposed to do) is split the network like branches of a tree.

As for sequences, check the Sequence Sharing section of this forum.

Welcome back!

A "T" layout is not approved. As Jim noted, you could put  the USB adapter in the middle. BUT the other part of RS485 says the ends are terminated in 120 ohms.

LOR included the 120 ohms in the adapter which sort of rules out the Middle (no term) use (without modification).

The other thing you mentioned: CCR, wants to be on a fast ENHANCED network. With V 5.x, your older device Firmware is also in question.

$30 gets you a new RED (HS) adapter and you add a few more feet of CAT5 and don't worry about right side or left side

4 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

A "T" layout is not approved. As Jim noted, you could put  the USB adapter in the middle. BUT the other part of RS485 says the ends are terminated in 120 ohms.

LOR included the 120 ohms in the adapter which sort of rules out the Middle (no term) use (without modification).

The other thing you mentioned: CCR, wants to be on a fast ENHANCED network. With V 5.x, your older device Firmware is also in question.

$30 gets you a new RED (HS) adapter and you add a few more feet of CAT5 and don't worry about right side or left side

Thanks had a feeling I couldn't do it.  I use two of the enhanced networks for the CCR's.  Well this year I am going with what I had in 2015 Sequence editor 3.1.4 and it all worked ok then so assume I will now.  Now wanting to update a thing at this point.  Not even sure what I could upgrade to.   In checking out all my controlers I have found a couple where the rj45 jack is bad but can operate on a phone cable which I used before.  Can't remember but I assume using it causes no issues.  Don't think I had any in the past.   thanks for the help

Duane

28 minutes ago, overeazy said:

Thanks had a feeling I couldn't do it.  I use two of the enhanced networks for the CCR's.  Well this year I am going with what I had in 2015 Sequence editor 3.1.4 and it all worked ok then so assume I will now.  Now wanting to update a thing at this point.  Not even sure what I could upgrade to.   In checking out all my controlers I have found a couple where the rj45 jack is bad but can operate on a phone cable which I used before.  Can't remember but I assume using it causes no issues.  Don't think I had any in the past.   thanks for the help

Duane

If you stay real close, use one of those RJ45 Y and a very short patchcord to the working jack. STRAIN RELIEF THAT CABLE is a must

• The topic was locked