Light-O-Rama Forums

OLD controller with Pix16

mdhunsche

I suspect this has been answered, but I couldn't really find a definitive answer here.

I just added 2 PixIE16 controllers (CCR tree with 16 ribbons and 16 channel for pixels). I have 4 old (one is a D-Light box) controllers for my traditional lights.

Questions:

1) I had issues setting up the separate network and getting the Pix16's to work, so it's all setup on my normal USB adapter network. Will I be able to control my old controllers and new ones all on one "line"?

2) When I opened the 2 new boxes there was a jumper that says to use with the Pixels, but not needed with Ribbons. If I break out my CCR tree so 8 channels are on 1 controller and 8 are on another, do I need the jumper installed since it will have both pixels and ribbons? The reason I ask is because I can place the 16 channel boxes closer to other lights and just make life a little easier with less cords that way.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a dead horse topic.

1 hour ago, mdhunsche said:

I suspect this has been answered, but I couldn't really find a definitive answer here.

I just added 2 PixIE16 controllers (CCR tree with 16 ribbons and 16 channel for pixels). I have 4 old (one is a D-Light box) controllers for my traditional lights.

Questions:

1) I had issues setting up the separate network and getting the Pix16's to work, so it's all setup on my normal USB adapter network. Will I be able to control my old controllers and new ones all on one "line"?

2) When I opened the 2 new boxes there was a jumper that says to use with the Pixels, but not needed with Ribbons. If I break out my CCR tree so 8 channels are on 1 controller and 8 are on another, do I need the jumper installed since it will have both pixels and ribbons? The reason I ask is because I can place the 16 channel boxes closer to other lights and just make life a little easier with less cords that way.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a dead horse topic.

1) Pixels must be run on an enhanced network using the high speed red USB adapter. 

Only Gen3 AC controllers can run on an enhanced network. So if you’re controllers are older then you’ll need to run 2 networks. A regular on the black adapter and a enhanced on the red adapter. 

If all your controllers were newer you would be able to daisy chain then (“line”). 

2) Personally I suggest keeping that little jumper in its bag and not installing it. I have never had to use it. Matter of fact if you want to run up to 170 pixels per port you will need to remove that jumper. So my advice is to keep it off. You may have some others who disagree with this concept. 

Hope this helps 

Thank you for the help!

I'm still using a taupe D Light USB adapter, so I might as well buy a black and red to be safe.

22 minutes ago, mdhunsche said:

Thank you for the help!

I'm still using a taupe D Light USB adapter, so I might as well buy a black and red to be safe.

Just buy the red. They are backwards compatible.

Also just for reference, if you start a topic here you may want to state the entire device instead of any form of abbreviation. Had I seen pixie16 in the subject line I would have had a reply earlier in your conversation. LOR doesn't have a"pix16" of any type. So some of us with a vast knowledge in pixie16's passed by your question.

Especially during the busiest time of year.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• The topic was locked