Light-O-Rama Forums

Oxidation of RJ-45 jack pins.

James Shelby

I am having a problems with oxidation inside my rj-45 jacks. I have found it in my older (2006, 2008) 16 channel controllers and a few new ones. A few years ago I found I couldn't address a few cards by using the pots and was told by tech support it could be oxidation. I can change the jacks myself but my question is is there a product I can spray inside the jacks to help with the problem. I have spray silicon will that work or what do you guys recommend? 

56 minutes ago, James Shelby said:

I am having a problems with oxidation inside my rj-45 jacks. I have found it in my older (2006, 2008) 16 channel controllers and a few new ones. A few years ago I found I couldn't address a few cards by using the pots and was told by tech support it could be oxidation. I can change the jacks myself but my question is is there a product I can spray inside the jacks to help with the problem. I have spray silicon will that work or what do you guys recommend? 

LOR  (LOR mode) only uses 2 pins: 4+5 (the blue pair). It uses the next pair to power the MP3 director (if used).

To be honest. I would avoid de-oxit sprays as they really get places where they should not and need to be neutralized. You can use Electrical rated Contact grease (after they are clean)

[Puzzled] Do you store these in a salt air location or a place with high industrial pollution? If not, you might have a FLUE pipe failure for your water heater/furnace.

If the switches were dirty (inside), volume control (remember when they applied power AND adjusted volume?). Tuner-Tonic was another cleaner from the past, used to clean and lubricate the old turret (made a clunk) TV tuners.

Radio Shack (another ting of the past) would have had some of those .

• Like 1

Most of my problems are with 4 and 5. They are stored in road cases in a warehouse (over 100 controllers) and a few are in wooden boxes. I was thinking they had drawn moisture over the season and the problem happens over the spring and summer. Every year I replace 5 to 10 cards during setup and nothing until next season. I thought I could clean them at tear down and lube them with something.

As mentioned, a decent contact cleaner first, possibly use a soft brush to assist in cleaning them. Do not push them inward. Then you should be able to use a "bulb grease" which is not conductive. Do not use a silicone spray as I think it would make things considerably worse by insulating the contacts. A long time staple of contact cleaners is good old fashion Isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip. Remember too that both the RJ45 connectors and the Cat5/6 cable connectors need cleaning.  

• Like 1

A Red Ruby eraser on the PLUG end contacts, does a wonderful clean

Again, those pins in the jack are easy to bend (ruin). Do peek and make sure they are not just stuck down.

👍 90% alcohol sprayed in there may allow them to pop back.

💡 (not tried). Take an OLD RJ45 Plug. take a couple of swipes with coarse sandpaper ACROSS the contacts. (remove git and debris) You just made a mini file.

run that in and out a few times and see if that scrapes the pins enough.

FWIW, I think there is something else going on in that warehouse (maybe chemicals at the other end) that is making bad air. You might need to sealed Bag these.

All that's in the warehouses are Christmas stuff and assembly/repair areas. I don't have much to do in December so i will give it a better look. I should do the cleaning and some sort of lube at tear down in January. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used DEOXIT D5 , it is a spray but I put it on a qtip and clean the RJ45 jacks and the RJ45 plugs, works great. I have used it for years on all connections in my audio system .  Last year I had a controller going nuts , the main chip was a little lose, powered down took out the chip cleaned it, rebent it put it back in and worked like a champ.

David  DLH LITES

• The topic was locked