Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel views disappear when previews are changed back and forth

patsfandec

I am just learning the S5 suite since I upgraded. 

I have 3 previews to view different sides of my house. I set up a couple of channel views but when I switch between previews, it wipes out my channel views even when I go back to the preview I built the channel view in. 

Is that normal? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks

If I understand your situation, you have multiple previews, and you want to have a different channel arrangement when you switch previews.  Assuming this is for the same songs - by that, I mean, Preview 1 has the left side of the house and Preview 2 has the right side of the house, and you sequence one side and then the other side within the same sequence file.  After you load one Preview and arrange the channels the way you want, export the view configuration.  Do the same thing for the other preview.  Because you are working from the same sequence file, I don't think you can have different views based on what Preview is selected.  But it's easy to load "the other" view configuration after swapping Previews.

The other query is do all of the Previews have ALL of the channels (even if some of them are just parked over in the corner in a "ignore this" pile - or hidden)?  If not, you could end up with problems with archiving props every time you switch, and the Preview used for show playing must have all the channels.

No luck.

I create a view with a preview selected and export that configuration.

I then assign another preview to that sequence and build a new channel view and save that. If I inadvertently select the old channel view in that preview, it overwrites my original channel preview when I go back to the old original preview.

Did you save the second configuration view with a new file name?

I am assuming that every time you change Previews, within the same sequence, you will need to manually load the channel config file.  So I assume the steps would be:

Assign "Left" Preview.  Let it go through the gyrations.  Load "Left" channel config file.  Sequence left side.

Later:  Assign "Right" Preview.  Let it go through the gyrations.  Load "Right" channel config file.  Sequence right side.

I tried that.

I created a channel view under each preview. I loaded every channel in every preview and hid the channels I didn't want to see.

When I change previews and load the grid configuration for that channel view, if I select one of the other channel views by mistake (it still shows the other channel views after I load the config), it wipes out the view and reloading the grid config will not fix it.

Lots of bugs in this S5 - not sure it was worth the feature upgrades. Less stable too.

I tried what I suggested.  Other than I had added an un-necessary step or two, it worked perfectly.  Let me give a step by step of what I did.

1)  Created a preview called Test Left with a Left Tree, Right Tree, Left roofline, Center roofline, Right roofline, and a matrix.  Saved that Preview.

2)  Copied the Test Left Preview to create an identical Test Right Preview.

3)  Edited the Test Left Preview to shrink the Right Tree and Right roofline down to not much more than a dot.  Parked then in the corner.

4)  Edited the Test Right Preview to shrink the Left Tree and Left roofline down to not much more than a dot.  Parked then in the corner.

5)  Created a new animation sequence using the Test Left preview.

6)  Created a new view called Left View with everything EXCEPT the Right tree and Right roofline.

7)  Created another new view called Right View with everything EXCEPT the Left tree and Left roofline.

8)  Exported the view configuration (turns out I did not need to for the test, but you would so you could import into additional sequences).

9)  Selected the view named Left View.

10)  Did some sequencing on the left side and center stuff.

11)  Assigned a different Preview - the Test Right preview.

12)  Select the view named Right View.

13)  Did some sequencing on the right side stuff.

14)  Saved and closed the sequence.

15)  When I re-open the sequence, it will have whatever Preview was assigned last, and all three Views (Left View, Right View, and Show all) are available.

When you play the sequence, you will see the other channels as a tiny dot stuck in the corner (easy to ignore).  In other words, if you are using the Test Left preview, you will see the Right tree and Right roofline as a tiny dot in the corner.  Same with the Test Right preview (or course with the Left side stuff as a tiny dot in the corner).

Worked perfectly.  I think that was essentially what you were trying to accomplish.

• 4 weeks later...