Light-O-Rama Forums

Judy Pancoast is back...

MichRX7

In 1998, Grammy Award nominee Judy Pancoast wrote a wonderful Christmas song that many of us over the years have sequenced into our holiday light shows titled, “The House on Christmas Street”. A few years back Judy even did a tour where she sang live and was recorded at many houses of our fellow enthusiasts. A simple Vimeo or YouTube search will pull up many sequenced versions of this over the years.

With that tour she had been offering to customize parts of the song, for a cost, to those of us wanting to sequence her song and include it in our shows. I have been in contact with Judy over the past few months to inquire if she was still offering these custom versions of her song, and I am happy to announce that she recently moved and just finished setting up her studio, and now she plans to have three separate packages to fit budgets and needs of all sizes for all of us.

Prices are yet to come, but I do know the some of the package plans:

Basic

• Replace “Christmas Street” with the name of your street in the last chorus
  • Customize your family name in the second verse, “The Ewles family puts up its display”
  • Custom spoken intro for your show
  • Custom spoken tag for your show

Deluxe

• All of Basic plus
  • A complete re-write of the chorus with the elements in your show

Super Deluxe

• All of Basic and Deluxe plus
  • A complete customization of her second verse (making almost the entire song customized to your show)
  • One free update to the song within five years of purchase if your show elements change

All of these packages come with a certificate stating that you have the right to use the song at your discretion- in your display, in videos, etc., in any non-commercial way (meaning you are not making money from it) in perpetuity (yep, forever).

BONUS: if you raise donations for charity, Judy will record two free announcements for your show promoting your charity--- free with any package!

If you are interested in any of these packages, I’ll be sharing more information soon when she finishes the updates to her website, but please make a comment to me here in this post or send me a private message so that I may make sure you are updated as soon as she is ready to begin recording. I know we are getting late into the season, so let me know so I can give her an idea of interest in this great song.

For full disclosure, I am not benefitting monetarily from this endeavor. I contacted Judy because I love her song, and wanted a custom version done for my show. She is doing a version for me, and I can’t wait to see it in my display.

https://vimeo.com/search/sort:latest?q=Judy+Pancoast+The+House+on+Christmas+Street

I had Judy sequence the The House on the Christmas Street about 6 years ago people where amazed that the song matched my house well worth the money Judy did a great job    Dennis Laff

• Thanks 1

Just glad to hear Judy Pancoast is still with us.   I always got e-mails from her every year, but hadn't heard from her in some time.

So very happy you posted letting us know she is still going strong!   I use several other songs of hers in my show, as well as House On Christmas Street.

• Thanks 1

I also had Judy rerecord the whole song to my house a few years back and people asked about it all the time. Her song is kind of the main stay of my show as I have several props tailored to her song. And as long as my props all stay working, I will continue to use her song as a lot of people like it also. And they can't believe an artist would do this for individual's.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Orville said:

Just glad to hear Judy Pancoast is still with us.   I always got e-mails from her every year, but hadn't heard from her in some time.

So very happy you posted letting us know she is still going strong!   I use several other songs of hers in my show, as well as House On Christmas Street.

What other songs do you use from her?

She is doing very well. Had a recent move, but found her new house and is getting the last setup done on her studio and website so she can get back to work.

Edited by MichRX7

21 hours ago, MichRX7 said:

What other songs do you use from her?

She is doing very well. Had a recent move, but found her new house and is getting the last setup done on her studio and website so she can get back to work.

My wife won 2 of her CD's when we visited a display she was appearing at quite a few years ago, so I ripped the CD's to the computer to use a couple of her other songs I liked. 

The other songs I used are from her CD: "Christmas with Mrs. Claus" are:

Mrs. Santa Claus

Where is Santa Claus

Both have been edited down to much shorter versions than the original song.  I try to cut down any song longer than 2 minutes to no more than 2 minutes when possible, sometimes they may be a little longer. 

Depending on the song and repetition in it are my deciding factors for editing a song down.  Some songs I have they are almost the same as the original, I also strip all excessive silent parts at both the beginning and end of a song, I will also cut down the silent parts within the song itself if the length is longer than I feel it needs to be between a verse.   This way I am able to get more songs in my show using less time. 

And I try to edit the song so it doesn't affect the songs meaning in any way, although on some songs this does occur, but I try not to do that. 

And if I find a song I like, but it's not what I consider family friendly {contains profanity or other vulgar remarks}, if I can make a clean version by stripping it of that type content, I will.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  If it doesn't, I won't even use it, and so I have a folder of lots of songs labeled "Never Use in Shows".

Edited by Orville
  • Thanks 1

I just wanted to give an update that Judy Pancoast is fully setup and ready to customize her song “The House on Christmas Street” for each of our displays if you would like to incorporate it into your show. You are able to find more information and order on the following page:

http://judypancoast.com/customized_christmas_street.htm

If you interact with Judy (she is delightful), please let her know you heard about it here as I’m sure she will want to do more with the lighting community in the near future. I know we are getting late into the season, but this is such a great song for kids of all ages (even us big kids) that I wanted to share it with you. I just placed my order and sent her over a list of my show items and can not wait to sequence it to my display.

• The topic was locked