Light-O-Rama Forums

Power issue?

James Hill

I have a string of dumb RGBs controlled by a CMB24D card. The red and blue light up full but the green is quite dim. I thought it was the mosfet and changed it. Still an issue with the green. Any one out there encounter this issue? Possible the leader wire from the card to the LEDs got pulled a bit...would that cause a poor connection? If no one encountered this I may just run a new wire and see if that is the cause.

Thanks in advance

I used a second power supply to test the string by itself. All the LEDs light up fine...so I am thinking it is either the connector or the wire.

Any thoughts?

If you move the string to another port on the CMB24, does the problem follow the string or the port?

Good thought....I will move to a different port tomorrow as I am done for today....will post results tomorrow. Always good to have someone else to think of things to try... Wish I did that before I changed the MOSFET!!!! Live and learn....L8R

5 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

A nine volt battery with leads soldered to it, makes a good portable tester for dumb lights.

Assumes they are not 5V LED's 😛

A mini-gator clip from R, G or B to the Minus terminal of the power input. (do NOT ever get + on those leads whil attached to the controller. SMOKE

All is good in the Great White North here in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. Thanks 'k6ccc' for the idea of moving the leads to another RGB channel. I should have thought of that but I get excited when trouble arises and don't think things through. Any how...the problem was the connection of wires to the connecting plug. The dumb LED's have a silver coloured wires (perhaps aluminum?) and the plugs are copper. Dissimilar metals oxidize/corrode...guess I will have to accept I will be running into problems again....just wait till spring please!!!! Thank you to all. Your ideas and thoughts were helpful....now back to some programming!!!