Light-O-Rama Forums

Idiots Guide To Get Started?

CrazyManInCincy

Hey All!

I just found this couple weeks ago and bought LOR 2 been playing with it. I figured this years a lost but this time next year I should have ever thing down pat. I am musicly challenged and not to good with the tapper or beat wizard. I mean I am not sure exactly how it works and the difference between them. Is there any nice how tos out there ? I been looking not really found a dumb down verison. So any tips or tricks or links to a good how to would be wonderful! Thanks in advance!

P.S What would be a good beginners song to learn with?

I was also say that you need to setup your configuration file, if you haven't already.

So my process was to use a spreadsheet to determine optimal loads and layout ... but with a single controller your all in the one, so thats easy.

Then you need to map out the channels, assign them to controller channels and name them.

Then ideally, you take a picture of your house and then attempt to draw a simulation of your display (per channel) onto the animator window.

Then you save all that off as a configuration file.

You then typically start each new musical sequence by importing your channel configuration and they brings in your channel mappings and the channel names and the animator window (simulator) for that sequence.

Then you work on the actual sequencing. Sorry if this is something you already knew.

One of the easiest ways to get started is to use someone elses sequence and just map it into your own channels (remap, that is). So say for your 16 channels, I would open an existing sequence, then insert 16 new channels (or more) above the top-most channel, then import your configuration into the sequence. THen you will have 16 (or more) channels on top that represent your house and then the channels below are from the pre-sequenced stuff. You can then perform select-row, copy, paste (into your channel, or channels) and see how things look that way.

Obviously, you need to start sequencing at some point, so then do the tutorials and also practice doing songs ... it's the only way to get better at it.

Scott

Here are a couple good threads about the Beat Wizard:

"Beat Wizard Tutorial": http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15994&forum_id=72

"Beat Wizard Demo": http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16195&forum_id=72

I'm pretty sure I saw a good one about the Tapper Wizard too, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

lightoramasequences.comlightoramasequences.com is a place to get sequences done by others as well as some tutorials.

The easier songs tend to have a strong beat, active, and short. Do a quick search for audacity. This free program will help shorten your songs. IMO - people prefer shorter songs so they can hear different ones. I try to not go beyond 2 minutes.

I just started this year> I am running 12 controllers for 208 channels. This is the place to get lots of good info. When programing use a wav. format, after finised use audacity and convert to mp3 for best results. It worked great for me. You can check out our website for ideas and details on lots of stuff. I am ddinf more almost daily. Good luck ad Idon't thik its to late for you to get the programng done on a coupleon an get them out this year. I have also posted a couple of songs on LORSEQUNCES.com you can download them and cut and paste to fit your needs.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas