Light-O-Rama Forums

Checking my old equipment

lshtest1

We first started using LOR around 2007 or 2008. Over the few years we had our light show we upgraded to a total of 3-16 channel boxes. In early 2012 my husband unexpectedly passed away and our Christmas show stopped. Our youngest son has wanted for years to continue our show, he was barely 6 years old when his dad died and doesn't have  a lot of memories but does remember the show. How would I go about checking out equipment and is our equipment even useable? I'm hoping we can update our boxes and start a show again. All of our programming is gone so we will have to purchase our sequences but thats ok if we can get our show going again. I appreciate any input to help us get started.

• Like 1

Someone in Houston ... jump in and help out here. :)

But yes, the equipment would be usable. Short, non-technical answer, you'd have to hook it up to a USB485 and make sure the channels still work. I'm really, really, hoping someone in the Houston area will jump in here.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:09 PM, lshtest1 said:

We first started using LOR around 2007 or 2008. Over the few years we had our light show we upgraded to a total of 3-16 channel boxes. In early 2012 my husband unexpectedly passed away and our Christmas show stopped. Our youngest son has wanted for years to continue our show, he was barely 6 years old when his dad died and doesn't have  a lot of memories but does remember the show. How would I go about checking out equipment and is our equipment even useable? I'm hoping we can update our boxes and start a show again. All of our programming is gone so we will have to purchase our sequences but thats ok if we can get our show going again. I appreciate any input to help us get started.

Heart breaking and a warm story at the same time.

Nice to see some younger people picking up on sequencing.

Best of luck and I am sure someone will step up to the plate on this.

Best wishes.

JR

I am in Magnolia, TX.  Glad to help out if i can.

message me for contact info (or see links in signature for other ways to reach me).

You will probably need to purchase an new license?   Not sure how LOR handles a situation like this, since they don't allow the license to be transferred to anyone.  So thinking you will need to buy a new license to be able to use the latest software suite.   Just make sure the license you purchase will cover all your existing controllers, and if you're considering going into the RGB world of lighting and controllers, either now or even later on, your nest bet would be to buy the PRO license if you can.

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Not sure how LOR handles a situation like this, since they don't allow the license to be transferred to anyone.

Somehow I don't think LOR would deny a transfer in a situation like this.

I mean, I don't work there, but after 15 years of using the product, I don't get the sense they are that heartless....

While we don't 'transfer' licenses, I am sure there is something we can do.  Please open a help desk ticket with the name and/or eMail of the person who originally purchased the equipment and license.  From there I can do some sleuthing and see what we can do for you.  You can ask to have the ticket assigned to Mike.

12 hours ago, Orville said:

You will probably need to purchase an new license?   Not sure how LOR handles a situation like this, since they don't allow the license to be transferred to anyone.  So thinking you will need to buy a new license to be able to use the latest software suite.   Just make sure the license you purchase will cover all your existing controllers, and if you're considering going into the RGB world of lighting and controllers, either now or even later on, your nest bet would be to buy the PRO license if you can.

Not sure if this is the correct way to reply but thanks to everyone for the input! I will definitely put in the help desk ticket to Mike!

On 10/22/2020 at 11:45 AM, Don said:

Somehow I don't think LOR would deny a transfer in a situation like this.

I mean, I don't work there, but after 15 years of using the product, I don't get the sense they are that heartless....

I don't think they are either Don.  And that's why I added "Not sure how LOR handles a situation like this,"  Especially since this is the first time I've ever seen a post where the original owner had passed away and their surviving family members want to start{continue} using the software again.

I'm just glad DevMike chimed in and told her what to do, and he'll see what can be done.

And I'm sure, from my own personal LOR experiences, something will get accomplished for the person.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:57 AM, DevMike said:

While we don't 'transfer' licenses, I am sure there is something we can do.  Please open a help desk ticket with the name and/or eMail of the person who originally purchased the equipment and license.  From there I can do some sleuthing and see what we can do for you.  You can ask to have the ticket assigned to Mike.

So very nice of you Mike!!! If any of us can help out, lets do so.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:57 AM, DevMike said:

And this is but one of the many reasons I stay with LOR - they take care of their customers!