Light-O-Rama Forums

PIXCON 16 network config error in NP

hasslerk

I have a PixCon 16 I am attempting to configure via the Network Preferences utility.  I ran an ethernet cable between my Windows 10 PC and the device, turned off WiFi, configured my local ethernet to be 192.168.0.100/255.255.255.0, and the NP successfully finds the device at 192.168.0.50 and displays it in the list. I only have the one device in the list, and it is not colored red or blue (per the manual); it is black text on white background (I assume normal).  It shows up device wise as a "LOR PixCon 16 MkII".  I can also ping the device at that address from a Windows command prompt.  When I select the device in the NP list, I get a "LORNetworkConfig" popup that says "The device configuration could not be loaded.  This could be due to a hardware problem, a network problem, or a configuration issue.  Ensure you have selected the correct Network Adapter.  You may need to factory reset your PixCon 16".  The power LED is solid green, and the Status LED is blinking red.  I have LOR 5.5.6 Pro.  I have performed the factory reset which is why the address is 192.168.0.50.  Any ideas as to what is going on?

There was an issue with older versions of firmware and getting them working properly in S5.  5.5.8 fixed that, but it has been recalled for other issues.

5.5.10 should be out later today (baring any other issues being found with it).  Upgrade to that (when it comes out) and try again.

Thanks for the heads up on the above.  I also found a trouble shooting guide today for it under LOR Support Product Documentation that I was going to try tonight when I get home.  I am hoping it is either a Windows firewall issue or the LOR Comm Listener still running, both of which are stated as could cause a problem.

It turns out my problem was the Windows firewall.  The troubleshooting guide out under LOR Support was excellent in pointing me in the correct direction.  I disabled the firewall (which is not an issue during this exercise as the WiFi is off and the only device connected to the ethernet is the PixCon 16).  The setup was a piece of cake after that.  Can't wait to get this outside in the show!

I'm glad my guide helped out :)

I know I've said this before (probably not to you), but it is impossible for us to give a configuration step by step that will make the PixCon work AND work with a customer's network.  Many users (not you) will say 'Just tell me how to make it work!' and we have to tell them 'We can't, it is your network, we don't know how you configured it'.   We admit it - the PixCon is a very hard board to get working simply because it is a professional level board.  Since it is a pro board it is extremely flexible in how it can be (and SHOULD BE) configured.

It is this reason we push the 19 step checklist to everyone first before we move on.  The 19 step checklist will generally allow you to configure a PixCon as well as be moved back to your existing network.   It really tries to make the point that your network, your rules.  

The troubleshooting guide is really our last ditch effort to show the user that the PixCon does indeed work.  It totally re-configures your computer to properly talk to a factory reset PixCon.  But the issue there is once you re-configure your computer you have most likely lost any existing connections to things like other computers on your network, the internet, etc.   Then we get the blame when they can't watch Netflix anymore.

Thankfully you used it exactly how it was meant to be used - you followed the steps and then learned exactly what the problem was.  With that knowledge you applied a solution.  

Yes, when I read the part about the Windows Firewall and/or the LOR Comm listener, that was the "ah-ha" moment.  I have a dedicated Windows 10 computer that I use solely for programming and sequencing, as my main home computer is a Mac.  And as you may recognize from other posts, I use a G3-MP3 Director to actually run the show.  I back up the LOR contents off-platform regularly (it is Windows after all), and am more than happy to hack at this stand-alone computer to get things to work.  The only time it needs an internet connection is to download the latest LOR software (and of course the plethora of Windows updates).  Fortunately I am very comfortable with computers; I do feel for others who are not as LOR certainly has provided me with ample opportunity to perform hardware, software and PEBKAC debugging.

• The topic was locked