Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL Waterproof?

NWSanta

Hey Guys,

I don't see it anywhere on the Lightorama site or maybe I'm just getting old but, I've been using ELLs for 2 years now with no problems. When I install mine they are under cover and work beautifully. However, I have an upcoming installation that I'd like to use a bunch of ELLs , 12 to be exact, and I'm wondering they are waterproof.

Or

Should I put a bead of silicon around the antenna and the plastic and around where they screw into box. I realize where the wire goes in should be siliconed up but, would the rest of it with Antenna pointing up be ok???

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Evan

Yeah ok I'm a dumbass. I just read on the datasheet that it says it's weather resistant....

Guess I'm a little hesitant being in a rainy weather season belt.

-Evan

I have an ELL strapped to the luggage rack on the top of a van. (The van doesn't go anywhere in Winter.) It lasted the rain last year with no trouble. Just make sure you keep the antenna pointed up!

NWSanta wrote:

I have an upcoming installation that I'd like to use a bunch of ELLs , 12 to be exact, and I'm wondering they are waterproof. Evan

Hey Evan, "Water-Resistant" is the key operative phrase as you saw in the manual. A friend of mine in another state damaged his unit in the rain last year. As I recall, the problem was that the wind or something blew it over and rain water started going in the wire routing hole. After hearing that, I started using double-sticky tape to put mind on top of the controller. It's also good to put a "drip loop" in the cat-5 cable that enters the hole.

You might also have noticed that the circuit board is mounted in the top portion of the casing, so as long as they stay vertical, you shouldn't get any water into the electronics or connector. The antenna top is sealed well.