Light-O-Rama Forums

New pixel string having issues with 2 pixels.

GriswoldStyle

Ordered the 16x50 pixel tree kit in the spring sale this year. First year with pixrls. Noticed Thursday that 2 pixels were not working. It's the first two pixels on the string. It waa in the middle of my tree matrix for Halloween. So this weekend I did some tests and its still doing it no matter if I did the manual test or a sequence test. So I swapped the string that had problems to my outside strand on port 1 to see if it was just the pixels. Yup, same problem on a different port. It's those two pixels. Just the first 2 seem dead. Not so much as even a flicker. Wires are not damaged, no damage to pixels or the pixel mounting strip as I visually inspected them before swapping ports. Took a couple pictures of it at night showing the two pixels not working and sent in a help desk ticket. 

Has anyone ever experienced lor pixels going bad that fast? I mean I just got Halloween setup so they haven't been out long at all. It's only the first two pixels doing it. Seems odd but like I said this is only my first year with pixels as we just bought the kit a few months back from Lor.

Just wondering if this is something that can happen or if it is a freak thing. I'm only running my tree at a maximum of 40% brightness   Any suggestions? 

Edited by GriswoldStyle

Are they strips? Those do not like to be flexed. the chip can crack a trace if bent too far.

Since node 3 onward  work, it is the LED chip and not the decode (WS2811)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Are they strips? Those do not like to be flexed. the chip can crack a trace if bent too far.

Since node 3 onward  work, it is the LED chip and not the decode (WS2811)

Sorry I didn't specify. They are bullet nodes. Not strips.

35 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Sorry I didn't specify. They are bullet nodes. Not strips.

I went and looked that kit up after I posted and saw bullets. :o   I've had failures, but not DOA and it is usually the smart chip fails (nothing after works either)

After a period, I have had a few Stuck (on) colors (the rest of the node does work) I Just built a Smart dragon Skull. Hot glued a leftover chunk (previously checked before I cut the string up) of bullets into place. The last node (7) now has a stuck Red :(   This is got to be a 'process' fail (the circuits were not properly cleaned after building and later rot)

Yes, pixels die in several different ways.  As these are brand new and from LOR, they should be able to replace them on warrante.  remember that LOR service is second to none.

14 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Ordered the 16x50 pixel tree kit in the spring sale this year. First year with pixrls. Noticed Thursday that 2 pixels were not working. It's the first two pixels on the string. It waa in the middle of my tree matrix for Halloween. So this weekend I did some tests and its still doing it no matter if I did the manual test or a sequence test. So I swapped the string that had problems to my outside strand on port 1 to see if it was just the pixels. Yup, same problem on a different port. It's those two pixels. Just the first 2 seem dead. Not so much as even a flicker. Wires are not damaged, no damage to pixels or the pixel mounting strip as I visually inspected them before swapping ports. Took a couple pictures of it at night showing the two pixels not working and sent in a help desk ticket. 

Has anyone ever experienced lor pixels going bad that fast? I mean I just got Halloween setup so they haven't been out long at all. It's only the first two pixels doing it. Seems odd but like I said this is only my first year with pixels as we just bought the kit a few months back from Lor.

Just wondering if this is something that can happen or if it is a freak thing. I'm only running my tree at a maximum of 40% brightness   Any suggestions? 

You can cut them out and replace them easily.

Even if the colors are not exact (possible) they dont have to be the same. Better to have a like color there than dead pixels.

If you dont have any I can send you some spares and some pre soldered connectors.

Send me a text since there is no telling when I get on the forums any more. Internet is killing me.

You have my #

If they are not that old most vendors have good return policies, before cutting check with them.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked