Light-O-Rama Forums

Assigning Devices

DeBoardfam

Hey guys. New to LOR but getting the hang of it.  I have watched and had lots of great help from dibblerjr.  I am getting hung up on how to assign my channels in controllers to props in s5.  I have a pixie2 hooked up now.  I can only seem to get one channel working. If I use the hardware utility they both work, so I know its not cabling.   How do I assign a specific channel on a specific device to a specific prop or line in s5? 

All channel assignments, etc., in S5 are done via the Preview.

Open the sequencer (but not a sequence) and edit the Preview from there.

2 hours ago, DeBoardfam said:

Hey guys. New to LOR but getting the hang of it.  I have watched and had lots of great help from dibblerjr.  I am getting hung up on how to assign my channels in controllers to props in s5.  I have a pixie2 hooked up now.  I can only seem to get one channel working. If I use the hardware utility they both work, so I know its not cabling.   How do I assign a specific channel on a specific device to a specific prop or line in s5? 

Open the preview and click on a prop.

If you are talking about the custom faces you should have added the controllers/ unit IDs to the prop definition on the right side.

You can still do it there.

JR

On 10/16/2020 at 6:41 PM, DeBoardfam said:

I can only seem to get one channel working. If I use the hardware utility they both work, so I know its not cabling. 

Terminology.  That is NOT a channel.  It is an output or a port, but can have MANY channels.

Got it. Output is the correct term I am looking for.  I will give this a shot. The only way I can seem to get all outputs to work is instead of adding a prop, I adda device when I click add in the preview.  Then all outputs will work, but they aren't the shapes I want them to be.  

I think I'm having a similar issue. I bought the Pixie2 with 2-100 pixel strands. I used them with SuperStar's 200 pixel RGB star on the top. I imported that prop in S5. The problem comes when trying to assign circuits and unit id. I believe it loaded initially with a max circuit of 150 and auto sequenced 5 lines. This uses 3 "unit IDs". I set the first Unit ID to match the one I gave the Pixie2 on HU (In my case Unit ID 16). The sequencer gave

Row 1 Unit ID 16, circuits 1-60.

Row 2 had unit ID 16, circuits 61-150.

Row 3 had unit ID 17, circuits 1-120.

Row 4 had unit ID 17, circuits 121-150 and Carryover of 120(?).

Row 5 had unit ID 18, circuits 121-150 and Carryover of 150.

I've tried messing with this set-up with varying results. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.   

Since you are running 100 pixel strings, change the max circuits to 300.  The five lines are the five rings of the star.  Obviously you need to set up the strings so that the Preview matches the actual build.

Carryover means that the ring (#4 in the case you cited above) means that row 4 starts on one physical string and the rest of the ring of the star is on a separate physical string.  Because you have max circuits set to 150, the software thinks that you are using four physical strings of lights with 50 pixels per string.  So with it set to 150 max channels, you get this:

Row 1 (the innermost ring of the star) is using the first 20 pixels of unit ID 16

Row 2 (the next ring of the star) is using the next 30 pixels of unit ID 16 (the remainder of the first physical string).

Row 3 (the middle ring of the star) is using the first 40 pixels of Unit ID 17 (the second physical string).

Row 4 (the next to largest ring of the star) is using the first 10 pixels of Unit ID 17, and continues with the first 40 pixels of Unit ID 18 (the third physical string).

Row 5 (the outtermost ring of the star) is using the last 10 pixels on Unit ID 18 and continues with all 50 pixels of Unit ID 19 (the forth physical string).

Changing to a max circuits of 300, it becomes:

Row 1 (the innermost ring of the star) is using the first 20 pixels of unit ID 16

Row 2 (the next ring of the star) is using the next 30 pixels of unit ID 16.

Row 3 (the middle ring of the star) is using the last 40 pixels of Unit ID 16.

Row 4 (the next to largest ring of the star) is using the last 10 pixels of Unit ID 16, and the first 40 pixels of Unit ID 17.

Row 5 (the outtermost ring of the star) is using the last 60 pixels on Unit ID 17.