Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Face how to map more movements? S5 pixie2

Gr8grahams

Been wanting to try singing faces and am taking a whack at it. Had an extra pixie2 so I made a singing Eldon the "star". Used a star outline instead of a tree, the rest of the face is Eldon.

I got it working with the pixie configuration in HU and the pixels are now seen as dumb rgb.  Problem is I am seeing that I am restricted by only so many movements. I want a have Eldon look left and right. I want to have a straight mouth when closed sometimes and not a smile. The thing is made up of pixels so I should be able to remap as needed right? I cant figure out how this is done. At the very least, since I did not use Eldon's tree star, perhaps I could re assign that node???? Also, with the Eldon layout there are wasted pixels in the string not lighting, I would like to make use of these in the prop........ how?

1 hour ago, Gr8grahams said:

Been wanting to try singing faces and am taking a whack at it. Had an extra pixie2 so I made a singing Eldon the "star". Used a star outline instead of a tree, the rest of the face is Eldon.

I got it working with the pixie configuration in HU and the pixels are now seen as dumb rgb.  Problem is I am seeing that I am restricted by only so many movements. I want a have Eldon look left and right. I want to have a straight mouth when closed sometimes and not a smile. The thing is made up of pixels so I should be able to remap as needed right? I cant figure out how this is done. At the very least, since I did not use Eldon's tree star, perhaps I could re assign that node???? Also, with the Eldon layout there are wasted pixels in the string not lighting, I would like to make use of these in the prop........ how?

You will have to do that with custom grid and then with ME rows with pixel assignments.

I had to do this with my 2 monster tree singing faces.

As far as look left and right, heans cant turn. You may get a wink.

That should give you a starting point.

JR

Thanks JR

Not really understanding..... how would motion effects work with rgb channels?

Lor has faces set up with dumb rgb, makes it quick. Should I skip that and map every pixel? That would be a big grid..... Then I could use groups and then ME. Is this what you are getting at?

40 minutes ago, Gr8grahams said:

Thanks JR

Not really understanding..... how would motion effects work with rgb channels?

Lor has faces set up with dumb rgb, makes it quick. Should I skip that and map every pixel? That would be a big grid..... Then I could use groups and then ME. Is this what you are getting at?

In order to map the nodes, assuming you may have to share the same nodes between movement you must you mapping and ME rows.

This is what I had to do in S5 to get my 4 channel mouth movements and convert them to 5 channel movements.

As a matter of fact in order for me to make mine I had to create 3 seperate props

Eyes

Face

Outline

Because all 3 of them share nodes

you will have to populate the custom grid in prop def

assign and design the me rows

add to grid view and done

JR

I am on my phone now but I believe you are in S5

In S5 ME rows can replace or add on to RGB rows

That saves a lot of work sequencing RGB faces. You do not need normal RGB rows.

you can copy/ paste or even sequence in the ME rows

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Just now, dibblejr said:

I am on my phone now but I believe you are in S5

In S5 ME rows can replace or add on to RGB rows

JR

It’s not a big grid at all.

If you want to really have fun you can change the dip switch settings and make those smart RGBs smart and have a lot of fun with the singing quartet.

But once you create those ME rows once you never need the reg rows for the mouth movements.

Its not like you will chase or do anything with them and 1 row each is made unless you create the channel level rows.

Thanks JR

I think Im starting to get it. Almost there.

So, first I make props with the custom light placement tool thing?

When I tried this I made each part of the face its own prop and then grouped them. Quickly realized that puts shared pixels into multiple props... got errors. So probably should put the whole face into one prop and make groups out of the 200 rows of pixels to make each face part/movement?

Sounds too easy. 

2 hours ago, Gr8grahams said:

Thanks JR

I think Im starting to get it. Almost there.

So, first I make props with the custom light placement tool thing?

When I tried this I made each part of the face its own prop and then grouped them. Quickly realized that puts shared pixels into multiple props... got errors. So probably should put the whole face into one prop and make groups out of the 200 rows of pixels to make each face part/movement?

Sounds too easy. 

Make the face one prop out of ME rows, the outline one prop and eyes. You may not need three but the face should be one prop.

I have 12 singers for HAlloween, I had to do that for all of those. But I have a lot of nodes I believe 412 is my smallest singing node count and 565 is my largest.

One thing I forgot ta add from your original post.

All visible lights in the LOR singers should light. The extras are hanging around behind the prop. Of course in order to use them you will need to put them somewhere visible and you will have to readdress any rows they belong to. It will be much easier to just change the controller setting via the dip switch back to RGB and if you want sequence them as a dumb node. Obviously the faces couldn't really be used for anything independently but you can still have a lot of fun with the outline.

About 95% of my sequences have faces. I do have 1 sequence , normally the Skwirlex that i use for fun on New Years eve. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

THanks Jr, that video is great. Really appreciate it.

Tonight when I get home I will give it a go. That is the part I was missing. For some reason I am not able to do the custom thing with the pencil in my motion effects. Probably something simple I am missing.

THanks again for the vid

Shawn