Light-O-Rama Forums

Help-UV Flood won't play during sequence

Eric walls

I'm appealing to all the people who are much smarter than me.  I have the 50watt UV light that I want to use in my halloween sequences.  Went to the hardware utility and set the unit to 10. It has uses 3 channels, 1 for on, 1 for strobe on time, 1 for strobe time off. Tested them all in the hardware utility, everything working fine.

I go to my sequence and play it, only nothing happens. I looked and the "control lights" is checked and if I hook up another controller with lights it runs fine. I double checked to make sure the unit and channels match in the sequence. Still nothing.  

It has to be something I'm doing or not doing but I can't figure it out? It won't play during the sequence.

Any ideas?  It has to be a simple solution.......

I'm running 5.5.6 pro if that matters.

Thanks Everyone!

Eric 

yep, regular, COM 3, 500, enhanced. 

I don't have a huge display

2 16 channel AC units (1 is the showtime director)

1 dumb controller for  5 floods

3 CCR with 5 strings of 50 pixel lights (on garage, gutter)

All running from a showtime director.  Everything runs great, except the blacklight.

Are you sure the ID 'took'. Did you turn off all switches (or set the HEX 10 (A) into the switches ?? Were you trying to set the 17th ID  (Hex 10)

Well thats what I was wondering. So I switched the unit ID to 5 in the hardware utility and then switched that in the sequencer as well, and still nothing.  I'm wondering if I have to open up the back to switch the unit ID? There are no dip switches that I know of, you change the ID in the hardware utility.   

I'll try messing with it again. It's just bugging me that I can't figure this out.

Very Frustrating......changed to a different unit ID, ran fine in the hardware utility. Changed the ID in the sequence editor still nothing.  I thought it might be something simple such as the "control lights" function but runs fine with other units.

It's not the cables, why would it not get info from the sequencer? Every other unit and light does.

There are dip switches in this flood. You must take the back cover off to get to them. I believe the factory is set to dip switch is 0 and U ID is 1

If by chance the dip switches are set to 1 than that is for DMX.

Ensure in HU you have not checked the Stand A lone box.

You can set the unit IDs by the dip switches or HU however you have to ensure the switches are all off to use the HU. Possibly one of the switches have been moved.

After setting the unit ID using HU I always tell everyone to close the HU all the way down and re enter HU and search for the ID to ensure the change worked. It happens with people when they get the pixie controllers very often.

The manual will show you the pics. I helped a friend close by configure two of them a couple years ago. He uses them for landscape tree lights.

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/CF50D_UF50D_UserMan_Web.pdf

Edited by dibblejr

Just now, dibblejr said:

There are dip switches in this flood. You must take the back cover off to get to them. I believe the factory is set to dip switch is 0 and U ID is 1

The manual will show you the pics. I helped a friend close by configure two of them a couple years ago. He uses them for landscape tree lights. I have 5 CF50Ds never had a problem and never took off the cover. 

If you are looking for strobe effects in the previewer just like the vis, they will not work. The only way to see the strobe effect is live.

32 minutes ago, Eric walls said:

Very Frustrating......changed to a different unit ID, ran fine in the hardware utility. Changed the ID in the sequence editor still nothing.  I thought it might be something simple such as the "control lights" function but runs fine with other units.

It's not the cables, why would it not get info from the sequencer? Every other unit and light does.

Always remember the HU has nothing to do with running the show. It only allows you to know at that time the lights and controller are talking to each other. As soon as you close that door it is all within the sequencer, NW. All must be set properly with a sequence to work.

Ensure in Prop Def everything is correct.

Also will all of your controllers comm with these. How old are your controllers and gen? Have you tried them on a NW by themselves just to see if they work. 

JR

17 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You can set the unit IDs by the dip switches or HU however you have to ensure the switches are all off to use the HU. Possibly one of the switches have been moved.

After setting the unit ID using HU I always tell everyone to close the HU all the way down and re enter HU and search for the ID to ensure the change worked. It happens with people when they get the pixie controllers very often.

The manual will show you the pics. I helped a friend close by configure two of them a couple years ago. He uses them for landscape tree lights.

4 hours ago, Eric walls said:

I'm appealing to all the people who are much smarter than me.  I have the 50watt UV light that I want to use in my halloween sequences.  Went to the hardware utility and set the unit to 10. It has uses 3 channels, 1 for on, 1 for strobe on time, 1 for strobe time off. Tested them all in the hardware utility, everything working fine.

I go to my sequence and play it, only nothing happens. I looked and the "control lights" is checked and if I hook up another controller with lights it runs fine. I double checked to make sure the unit and channels match in the sequence. Still nothing.  

It has to be something I'm doing or not doing but I can't figure it out? It won't play during the sequence.

Any ideas?  It has to be a simple solution.......

I'm running 5.5.6 pro if that matters.

Thanks Everyone!

Eric 

Actually 5 channels R/G/B and strobe on/ off. If you manually built it in preview design this could be your problem. I believe I downloaded my flood from the insert from LOR Online.

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Actually 5 channels R/G/B and strobe on/ off. If you manually built it in preview design this could be your problem. I believe I downloaded my flood from the insert from LOR Online.

He is talking about the UV flood, not the RGB flood, so yes, 3 channels.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

He is talking about the UV flood, not the RGB flood, so yes, 3 channels.

Thank you for that, yes I see that now. I never paid attention when I set mine up to the little chart R-UL, G - NA, B-NA, Strobe / strobe LOL

JR

All my controllers are Generation 3 with updated firmware. I looked on the firmware page and there is and updated firmware for the RBG flood but not the UV flood.

I used the hardware utility to confirm it's working and the channels are set up. In the preview I used the UV light preview that's built into the program.

2 hours ago, Eric walls said:

All my controllers are Generation 3 with updated firmware. I looked on the firmware page and there is and updated firmware for the RBG flood but not the UV flood.

I used the hardware utility to confirm it's working and the channels are set up. In the preview I used the UV light preview that's built into the program.

The only reason for having your other controllers Gen 3 is IF you are running on the same net at 500K.

You still did not answer the question of Did you open the back and change the switches?

Others; As I read the manual, the only difference is the LED chip. still the same 5 channels (2 are just not used). Jr pointed out The Red is now UV, G and B are still there, but do nothing

I also infer both use the same Firmware

Sorry, didn't see the question.  No, I did not open the back. Changing the unit ID can be done without opening the back. I even tried using unit 1 as the default factory ID and still nothing. I thought about opening the back and do a controller reset but  in the manual it says if you do, you run the risk of it leaking and no longer being weatherproof. 

When I made the preview using the tool it shows only 3 channels, I can certainly add 2 more but understand how the other flood uses red and Green. I don't think that will make much difference.

I thought about trying to download and use the firmware from the RGB flood but the title and numbers on the firmware are entirely different. One would think there isn't much of a difference just those 2 other channels but I don't want to screw it all up. What happens when you try to install firmware that is not designed for a certain controller?

23 minutes ago, Eric walls said:

Sorry, didn't see the question.  No, I did not open the back. Changing the unit ID can be done without opening the back. I even tried using unit 1 as the default factory ID and still nothing. I thought about opening the back and do a controller reset but  in the manual it says if you do, you run the risk of it leaking and no longer being weatherproof. 

When I made the preview using the tool it shows only 3 channels, I can certainly add 2 more but understand how the other flood uses red and Green. I don't think that will make much difference.

I thought about trying to download and use the firmware from the RGB flood but the title and numbers on the firmware are entirely different. One would think there isn't much of a difference just those 2 other channels but I don't want to screw it all up. What happens when you try to install firmware that is not designed for a certain controller?

For whatever reason I cannot get to the site but doesnt LOR have the UV for download in the add prop drop down. If not did you try the CF50D download and just remove the B/B rows. (if it would matter)

You may want to open the back, sometimes the factory will make a mistake, humans, it could be set to DMX mode at the switch level. You could also test that by trying to add it as DMX in S5 and see if it works. But remember strobes will not display in the preview. 

Did you scroll down in HU and ensure its not set for DMX there?

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Ha Ha!!!!!!!!👍

Found the problem.......opened up the back which I really didn't want to do and did the reset.  I downloaded and installed the firmware for the RGB flood, and now it works perfectly!!!  I thought the UV and RBG floods were pretty similar but they both had different numbers/descriptions in the firmware files. On the LOR firmware update page it only lists this firmware for the RGB flood so I was afraid that if I installed it on the UV flood I would mess it all up. I hope LOR will put a description that they use the same firmware-I didn't know that.

Well now that it's not raining think I'll put up my lights!!!

Thanks Everyone!!!