Jump to content

mega pixel tree


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mrsyfy said:

Just getting started with my mega pixel tree. Is there a video that sows you how to program the tree's outputs?

Many of us use SS to sequence the pixel tree.

Since you are S5 you have the built in effects there.

There are videos of how to sequence the trees but not many show you techniques to make them great. Its all in practicing and seat time. 

This late in the game I would suggest purchasing or getting some free ones or a combination of both to get started.

You can get a lot of ideas from others.

JR

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a combination of S5 motion effects,  motion effect rows and superstar (separate license).   If you just want to do "something" with the tree, the motion effects are the easiest.     

Add the tree to your preview with a motion effect row for the whole thing.    Then in your sequence, select the motion effect row for a part of the song you want to have a specific pattern and press shift A.   It will bring up an image of the tree and you can try different effects, for examples "Bars" and select right, left up or down (and others) to see what it does.    You can select different ones and various options to create a lot of effects.    SuperStar is an alternative to this, but it actually takes a bit more work to get the effects you want.     This year, I also added motion effect rows for each strand of lights on the tree, which allow me to turn any part of the tree on, just with the normal LOR sequencer.    That way, I can do things a motion effect doesn't really match up with.     The key is how much time you want to put into it.    For me, motion effects give the quick return on time spent but as i said, i do use a combination.    Examples, for last year which was my first year with a pixel tree in my signature. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

what type of cross over cable is needed for the cat 5? I have the usb485 adapter hooked up to the CAT5. I have a steady on the controller but its not receiving any input from the computer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrsyfy said:

what type of cross over cable is needed for the cat 5? I have the usb485 adapter hooked up to the CAT5. I have a steady on the controller but its not receiving any input from the computer.

NONE

We need more info to solve the rest of your problem. One thing to remember. In this hobby there is never to much information. There are a lot of variables.

Types of controllers, # of controllers, Unit ID's, Networks ect.

Do you have control lights on?

Where are you testing, lights or HU?

JR

Edited by dibblejr
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its just one controller for the mega pixel tree. unit #1 1 network a pixie 8D controller. I can get the computer to see it om com 3 but unable to send commands to it to test the lights.

 

thanks

20201114_115638.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird Found 1 unit, but it does not show on the Right

TIP  change the Max Unit ID down to 10 (for now. That is 16 dumb controllers), Your scan will go lots faster

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Weird Found 1 unit, but it does not show on the Right

TIP  change the Max Unit ID down to 10 (for now. That is 16 dumb controllers), Your scan will go lots faster

Last time I saw something like that was the firmware got corrupted somehow in one of my controllers. 

Downloaded latest firmware, installed it, and then it showed up again.  {Had to unplug the controller from the adapter after the update and then plug it back into the adapter before it'd recognize it.}   Controller also might require a reset after the update.

Because the HU may show found 1 unit, but if there is nothing in the other window, it's not going to send any commands out to whatever that unit is,

Because the HU has no real clue as to what the controller really is and is actually seeing nothing there in reality.

  As it's drawing a blank and may place incorrect info in the lower screen when that happens.   

At least that was my experience when I had a similar issue with a unit being found and not showing me what that unit is.  Firmware update fixed it right up for me.   Not saying this may work for the OP, but well worth a try at this point.

 

Edited by Orville
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Orville said:

Last time I saw something like that was the firmware got corrupted somehow in one of my controllers. 

Downloaded latest firmware, installed it, and then it showed up again.  {Had to unplug the controller from the adapter after the update and then plug it back into the adapter before it'd recognize it.}   Controller also might require a reset after the update.

Because the HU may show found 1 unit, but if there is nothing in the other window, it's not going to send any commands out to whatever that unit is,

Because the HU has no real clue as to what the controller really is and is actually seeing nothing there in reality.

  As it's drawing a blank and may place incorrect info in the lower screen when that happens.   

At least that was my experience when I had a similar issue with a unit being found and not showing me what that unit is.  Firmware update fixed it right up for me.   Not saying this may work for the OP, but well worth a try at this point.

 

Actually it will or may still send commands and even except a FW update. Also some of these pixies that do this still play in a show,  have one that always has shown "unknown device" for years. It plays perfect in the show. Others I have helped that have had the same issues and still work. Most opt to keep it though since they work in the show.

I believe but may be wrong that I have spoken to the OP on the phone and walked him through this and was awaiting a return call from him once he got back home or something.

I spoke with someone from Ohio two nights ago.

If so we did a fw update and he was going to update his LOR Software version because he was on 4.2... and he needs to be on at least 4.3.14  he was going to get back with me after.

OP- if that wasn't you , if you send me a private message and a # I can call you while building props. I cant get to my PM's via my phone, but if you send me one I can open it when I see the PM alert.

JR

 

Edited by dibblejr
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

YES! save you 10 minutes of HU looking for controllers lol

Tried that, anything less than 80 and its unable to find a controller. I would like to update the firmware, but can't communicate with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mrsyfy said:

Tried that, anything less than 80 and its unable to find a controller. I would like to update the firmware, but can't communicate with it.

What Unit ID is your controller?  If it has an ID (either you set it that high intentionally or accidentally), than yes, you would need to set to a higher number.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

What Unit ID is your controller?  If it has an ID (either you set it that high intentionally or accidentally), than yes, you would need to set to a higher number.

 

its unit 01, I just got it to update the firm ware to 1.06. I do not have it hooked to the tree yet. I also installed and updated driver for the USB485. but how can I tell the two of them are communicating without hooking it up?

Edited by mrsyfy
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrsyfy said:

its unit 01, I just got it to update the firm ware to 1.06. I do not have it hooked to the tree yet. I also installed and updated driver for the USB485. but how can I tell the two of them are communicating without hooking it up?

Other than HU detecting or Windows Device manager. It is only when a controller is connected.

Note for test purposes, you can use 1 controller and just switch which net. DO NOT click the Yes when HU asks Use for Show. Use the Network utility to Map out your NET plan

Go check the switches in the controller. ALL OFF if using HU to set. IIRC Switch 9 On is unit 01 (use the chart in your manual if setting by switch) .

I have a whole herd of controllers and 40 is where I set mine (and it is a bit high to allow shuffling of IDs)

Edited by TheDucks
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrsyfy said:

its unit 01, I just got it to update the firm ware to 1.06. I do not have it hooked to the tree yet. I also installed and updated driver for the USB485. but how can I tell the two of them are communicating without hooking it up?

Great that it worked like it has every time someone has had this problem/

I imagine it will work with your lights as longs as your sequence is set for the tree to be unit 1. otherwise you will need to set the unit ID to the correct one. Please turn off all dip switches, it will save you time in the long run.

Sorry I just walked inside and saw your reply.

JR

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the computer to talk to the control box now. updated the firmware on the controller. I can run the HU and send test commands to one string of pixels at a time. But still unable to run a sequence to the tree using SE. Amy suggestions?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...