Light-O-Rama Forums

USB 485 adapter

James Hill

Hello everyone, I jumped from S3 to S5 and moved from an old Vista lap top to a Windows 7 desk top. Connected a CMB24D control card and powered it up. Went to Hardware Utilities but it cannot find anything. I am curious if the 485 adapter needs a 'driver'. There was a message about something needing a driver a few days ago but didn't take much notice. If it needs a driver I guess I need to move the computer down two flights of stairs and plug it into the wifi as it doesn't have wifi.......Driver anyone?

Thank you TexasLights. It has been a long time since I originally set up my system. Found my driver disk....since moving to a desk top and bouncing to S5, I have had to do a lot of re-learning. Fun though. Again, thank you. Stay safe and happy lighting!!!

Edited by James Hill

12 minutes ago, James Hill said:

Thank you TexasLights. It has been a long time since I originally set up my system. Found my driver disk....since moving to a desk top and bouncing to S5, I have had to do a lot of re-learning. Fun though. Again, thank you. Stay safe and happy lighting!!!

You might want to download a fresh version of the driver from the LOR site if yours is more than a few years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks TheDucks...right now it seems to be working....will get around to it when I purchase a USB wifi connector...the computer I use does not have wifi right now.

1 hour ago, James Hill said:

Thanks TheDucks...right now it seems to be working....will get around to it when I purchase a USB wifi connector...the computer I use does not have wifi right now.

USB and WiFi are 2 different beasts and protocols.  ( <headslap> No way to get driver to Laptop.   Sneakernet the driver over from someones PC or even a Phone that can be a USB device)

USB is a low speed (relatively speaking) , Serial connection. Initially intended for Printers , Modems and Disks. It has gotten a lot faster over the years  and now doe Fast disks and video

WiFi is a Wireless Ethernet Protocol . AFAIK the Pixcon is the only LOR controller that does Ethernet (wired). WiFi (between the host and the controller)  can introduce NOTICEABLE delays and is not reccommended.

Since their computer doesn't have wifi I believe they are talking about getting a wifi usb adapter so they can get wifi.

https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-Mini-Wireless-Supports-10-9-10-14/dp/B07PB1X4CN/ref=sr_1_5?crid=CCJ17OYM5QKF&dchild=1&keywords=usb+wifi+adapter&qid=1603323756&sprefix=usb+wifi%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-5

Edited by Mr. P

• The topic was locked