Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 can’t get lights to come on

EdV

S5 is a whole different game, when you upgrade, you just can't load a sequence from a previous version and have it work.  In S5 you have to set up everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, you have to assign and set up your lights as a prop, and every item you have in your display must be in the prop list.   If all you do is load an S4 sequence into S5 and expect it to work, it doesn't happen.    At least none I've loaded into S5 has ever worked.

I have to set up each item in my display in S5 before my S4 sequences will do anything in it.   I'm still learning my way around S5, so I may not have worded this exactly right or explained as well as others.

But those that have been using S5 for a while hopefully will chime in on this soon and help you out.

This is the busiest time of year for us lighting hobbyists, so it might take a while before you get a better answer..   If you want to try for quicker answers, you can always try opening a Help Desk ticket with the Light-O-Rama folks.   But they too, also get busy starting around this time of year.

Good Luck!

We really need a bit more info to go on. What controllers and lights. error messages etc. Have you got a working Preview and does it have any conflicts.

I would also say that it is very late in the year to be making a major software change. You might be better waiting until after the season is over in the new year and sticking with S4 for now.

For starters, is control lights checked, is control panel running, Are your network preferences set.

Here is one of many instructional videos at Luminous Harmony which may help.

There are also videos on the LOR YT channel.

9 hours ago, Orville said:

S5 is a whole different game, when you upgrade, you just can't load a sequence from a previous version and have it work. 

Yes, S5 is a whole new game, but yes, you absolutely can load your S4 sequences and run them under S5 - my Christmas show 2019 was entirely that way (long story).

10 hours ago, EdV said:

I upgraded from S4 to S5 and now the lights will not come on. They do in the Hardware Utility.

Do you have the LOR Control Panel running?

11 minutes ago, EdV said:

Yes control panel is running. What is the procedure to use S4 sequences in S5?

Load them into the Show Editor.  Play the show.  Done.

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, S5 is a whole new game, but yes, you absolutely can load your S4 sequences and run them under S5 - my Christmas show 2019 was entirely that way (long story).

Interesting.  When I loaded the S4 sequence into S5, no lights would turn on when I played it in the sequencer.  It wouldn't light the lights, it would play the music file, but no lighting commands would work, and yes, they were in the sequence.   I had to create the light strand set up for each controller and strand before I could get the lights to work when the sequence played though in the sequencer.

Maybe I didn't load it correctly?  But no S4 sequence worked that I loaded into S5 without creating the prop for each item.  Which I thought was the "normal" procedure in S5 when moving older version sequences from pre-S5 versions into S5.  Any idea wher I might have made an error in loading my S4 sequences into S5?

I don't know about shows, because I haven't even begun to play around with any of those options yet.  Just messing around with it on a 2nd system to try and learn it.  Then maybe migrate into it at some point in 2021 when I feel comfortable using it.

20 hours ago, EdV said:

I upgraded from S4 to S5 and now the lights will not come on. They do in the Hardware Utility.

Any ideas please. 

Thanks

HU is only a back door test. Has nothing to do with playing lights on your house from a sequence.

Better to make a test sequence for that and not worry about the HU except for unit ID assignments.

JR

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Orville said:

Interesting.  When I loaded the S4 sequence into S5, no lights would turn on when I played it in the sequencer.  It wouldn't light the lights, it would play the music file, but no lighting commands would work, and yes, they were in the sequence.   I had to create the light strand set up for each controller and strand before I could get the lights to work when the sequence played though in the sequencer.

Maybe I didn't load it correctly?  But no S4 sequence worked that I loaded into S5 without creating the prop for each item.  Which I thought was the "normal" procedure in S5 when moving older version sequences from pre-S5 versions into S5.  Any idea wher I might have made an error in loading my S4 sequences into S5?

I don't know about shows, because I haven't even begun to play around with any of those options yet.  Just messing around with it on a 2nd system to try and learn it.  Then maybe migrate into it at some point in 2021 when I feel comfortable using it.

A lot of people forget to turn on "control lights' in S5.

That is normally the first culprit.

JR

9 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

You will need to choose Legacy in the file type dropdown in Show Editor.

Or the default which is "All Sequences".

There I went again. Forgot to change to the musical tab. The animation page doesn't have an All Sequences option and the Musical section HAS a Legacy Animation option.......

12 hours ago, Orville said:

Jim's point is that the S5 show player will still play your old  S4 LMS files, without conversion. 

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

JR

i agree with this right here

On 10/7/2020 at 9:18 AM, PhilMassey said:

Jim's point is that the S5 show player will still play your old  S4 LMS files, without conversion. 

That's why I stated "loaded in to the sequencer" and that I "have not" played around with the show player as yet.  And even if I had, I'd have thought since the files didn't work in the S5 sequencer, they wouldn't work as show files either.  Good to know the older S4 sequences can be loaded into the S5 show player and still create a  working show.  

This I was unaware of, and wouldn't have even tried doing it but since it has been brought up here, now I know. 

Learned something new about S5 I hadn't gotten into yet.  Thanks for clearing that up and the info.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:12 PM, dibblejr said:

JR

Nope, didn't forget that.   First thing I do when I install a new version of the LOR software is go through it and set up all the settings the way I prefer them.  Control Lights is one of the settings I always make sure is checked.     But I've seen this forgotten in just about every version of the LOR Software Suite since I've been in the hobby.   

I probably did it a few times myself the first couple years, but now its a habit to make sure my settings match up the way I want things to be, including making sure Control Panel is running and Control Lights checked, as well as my Network s4ettings are set to match as well.  

All this stuff is how my signature tag line was born.🤣🤣🤣