Light-O-Rama Forums

Officially Started Setup Today

jfuller8400

Well, I started setting up my display today.  It takes a few weeks and I always try to get the non-yard stuff done before Halloween.  Plus we're supposed to have highs in the 70's this week (which for Minnesota is unreal).  Normally I do all the stuff that sits in the yard after Halloween but this year I may do it before (I don't think we're going to have many trick-or-treaters).

You are earlier than me.  I will put up the lights on the eves and roofline on the weekend of Oct. 24/25, but nothing goes near ground level till after halloween.  I don't want to create something that some halloween jackass will vandalize.

I've been building and testing stuff in my yard the last couple weeks while it was above 50, but I won't be putting up the eaves until November 1.  Been trying to do some "kitting"  so that this year we don't spend 12 hour days in the 40's doing setup. For the first time in years I actually have a drawn out plan for props and electrical even though I doubled my controllers and light count. Just checked and was surprised  also see a couple 70 degree days this week so I'm going to pull everything out of the garage and get it all staged and see what I can add in.

10 hours ago, LaughsBrightly said:

I've been building and testing stuff in my yard the last couple weeks while it was above 50, but I won't be putting up the eaves until November 1.  Been trying to do some "kitting"  so that this year we don't spend 12 hour days in the 40's doing setup. For the first time in years I actually have a drawn out plan for props and electrical even though I doubled my controllers and light count. Just checked and was surprised  also see a couple 70 degree days this week so I'm going to pull everything out of the garage and get it all staged and see what I can add in.

50's ???  I started last week and could only work early morning or late evening when it was below the 80's.

New place. Old props (mostly), so there was  (is) a lot of trial - ERROR to see what fits - looks decent, then (try again). OH! and order more stuff because Cables don't reach and more foods needed to wash the walls.  (MY HC order arrives today and my LOR stuff on Thursday. But I wish I had bought another Pixie4 :( ). And lots of Debug (Why are those lights  not coming on??)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to put out Halloween because of the Covid issues. The city has not yet stated things will go forward or not for Halloween. I can still put out Halloween but not do candy but it seems so unfair to the kids coming for trick-or-treating.

43 minutes ago, dgrant said:

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to put out Halloween because of the Covid issues. The city has not yet stated things will go forward or not for Halloween. I can still put out Halloween but not do candy but it seems so unfair to the kids coming for trick-or-treating.

Trick or Treat or not the lights may provide families something to do and remain socially distant. Alabama has the "dont care, dont worry " attitude so S5 willing the show will go on. This year especially the shows will be magical to those that are doing what they need to stay healthy.

I am still trying to figure out how to pass out the treat bags. The last time I left them out for self serving the first sets of children took 1 bag either Allergy or regular and then a parent came by and took probably the last 200 or so. We get from 350-500 children normally . Last year the temp was 30 deg (normally 80) so we had 200 kiddos. Froze my arse off passing out candy. Luckily being from NY i had my snow gear on.

IMO

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

The neighbors love the stuff I am slowly hanging/placing. 

Overheard: 'when is he going to turn them on?" (little do they know: I still am figuring out WHERE stuff (I have) fits in the yard and have yet to even include into the most basic of an animated sequence.)

Other than buy lighted spider web and 3 more Floods (due thurs) . It has mostly been make a few cord (the older ones were in the standard sizes Too short or Way too long :p ), debug why X is not responding (because I connected to the wrong port, or I was sequencing it on the wrong controller  .

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Trick or Treat or not the lights may provide families something to do and remain socially distant. Alabama has the "dont care, dont worry " attitude so S5 willing the show will go on. This year especially the shows will be magical to those that are doing what they need to stay healthy.

I am still trying to figure out how to pass out the treat bags. The last time I left them out for self serving the first sets of children took 1 bag either Allergy or regular and then a parent came by and took probably the last 200 or so. We get from 350-500 children normally . Last year the temp was 30 deg (normally 80) so we had 200 kiddos. Froze my arse off passing out candy. Luckily being from NY i had my snow gear on.

IMO

JR

Here we normally see about a thousand people, adults and kids, passing through here on Halloween night so its a big thing here. It gets chilly here but not too bad. I think it would normally be in the 40's to 50's here and the weather changes so fast here, there's no way to know what it will be like.

Luckily i've started using my Matrix for Halloween so it went up the last week of September with the roof outline.  87 degrees out, but had to be closer to 100 on the roof.  It sure has been warmer later in the year this year.  I remember usually having to wear at least a sweat shirt when putting it up.  Not this year, still in shorts and a T-shirt.  My eaves and wall floods stay up all year, so technically i started about 7 years ago.  Every year my Halloween has been getting a little bigger, but still mostly a static display with the 3D animation projected in the front window.  I'll usually have all the lights in the trees before Halloween, but the rest my wife won't allow until after 10/31. 

On 10/7/2020 at 11:49 AM, dgrant said:

Here we normally see about a thousand people, adults and kids, passing through here on Halloween night so its a big thing here. It gets chilly here but not too bad. I think it would normally be in the 40's to 50's here and the weather changes so fast here, there's no way to know what it will be like.

Wish it would be that cool in Florida.  But Nooooooo, it has to be hotter than Hades here all the time.  This is supposed to be Fall, yet our temps are still in the 90's with heat indexes from 99-106F!   Too hot.  If Hell truly exists, it's FLORIDA, no doubt in my mind!😮🙃🤨

On 10/6/2020 at 9:55 AM, TheDucks said:

50's ???  I started last week and could only work early morning or late evening when it was below the 80's.

Yes 50's. Sometimes 40's or lower in November. And when I take the show down it might be in the teens. I'm right on the Ohio/Michigan border.

I often wonder what's it like when I watch Christmas Light Fight and they show folks in California and Florida setting up in shorts and T-shirts while we're in gloves and coats.

On 10/7/2020 at 11:27 AM, TheDucks said:

Overheard: 'when is he going to turn them on?" (little do they know: I still am figuring out WHERE stuff (I have) fits in the yard and have yet to even include into the most basic of an animated sequence.)

Was in the yard last night testing what size lights I preferred for the grid and my neighbor comes out and says, "it's too early too decorate." I promised her  I wasn't putting anything up until late November and was just testing. Today my Dad shows up surprise us for a birthday.  It's always 40ish when he comes to help at Thanksgiving. 80 this weekend. The eves are going up tomorrow!

I just today started putting up Halloween. Temp says its 74 out there but it feels like 90. I'm on the border of Arkansas and Oklahoma

Today (10-10-20) I started and got my house outlined for my Christmas show. Towards the end of October I will get the rest put up. Each year it gets harder and harder to motivate myself to want to get the display put up.

First year and I have started to put up Christmas...my wife says to early, but gotta get all the physical and hard to do stuff done while the weather is nice. Also need to make sure I have all the cords and hardware needed to set it all up. I have 1 of 2 controllers mounted and 4.75 channels of string lights up, and 4 plugged in and testing as I type. So far everything is working as it should, just have 27.25 channels to go...I started about 3 days ago. Once I have everything setup, next year will be faster.

Edited by CATESJAOR
Sp

Woke up this morning with a white yard. Had been in a serious debate with myself about even putting up lights this year, let alone even doing a show.

Guess what!!! Set up starts today!!!! Amazing what a little bit of snow did to get me out of my funk!!!

Brian

• Like 1

Started  install but late for me .  This year I have done a lot of DIY props and added three more  16 ch  controllers , more to program.  I am doing a special program as a salute to the folks we have lost to covid and to those  dealing with it still, also for all the doctors ,nurses and first responders and to all the people that have done the "right " thing to keep us safe. I am using AAron Coupland's  Fan Fare For Common Man as opening sequence.  I have spent a lot of time fine tuning this sequence ,it has to be just right. In order to make the music/lites speak to the folks standing in front of the house listening I have improved the music system to reflect the music.  Of course folks can listen in their cars. 

Dedication,   I guess that is me.  I have been in the hospital twice since the first of September with a staph infection in my left leg which went into my blood stream, I was sent home with a PICC line for home IV for  a week. When that finished and was removed  a week later I was back in the ER and there for three more days. I am back home ,another PICC line till the 29th. Doing much better.   Yes I am out there putting up this display as I feel this year it's very important we need it NOW .  I will make a video of course. While in the hospital I lost my job due to the shut down, well after 54 years in the same business I guess at 70 years old, it's time for a break.   Keep yall posted!!!

Best Regards and a great display season!

David L Hardin

PS, If you can pull up ,Fan Fare For Common Man and celebrate !

• Like 1

Finished the whole set up by 10/24/20,   47 total hours.  I did not even set up Halloween this year, the weather got cold quick, and we have had 4 snow falls this year already. Way to early.  That's what I get for living in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. Well, its all up and ready to go.

Gary

I went from working in the 80's to now working in the 30's.  And I'm still not done :(  (although I did have to take a week off and I'm only able to work on it on weekends anymore).