Light-O-Rama Forums

Extending pixel wires

Holiday2NV

I’m wondering if it’s possible to cut the wires BETWEEN pixels and extend the wires? For example: if I wanted to make (5) 10 pixel props out of one 50 pixel strand, could I cut the wires between the 10 pixel segments and extend them? 

I’m thinking about using 12v pixels, if that matters. 

2 minutes ago, Holiday2NV said:

I’m wondering if it’s possible to cut the wires BETWEEN pixels and extend the wires? For example: if I wanted to make (5) 10 pixel props out of one 50 pixel strand, could I cut the wires between the 10 pixel segments and extend them? 

I’m thinking about using 12v pixels, if that matters. 

Good connections and limited distance is the only rule (Do pay attention to the in-out direction) Cascaded strings just continue the count 1-10, 11-20,...

Do not skimp on wire gauge. = or 1 ga size heavier to avoid voltage drops  (not a big issue for short overall string counts)

Yes, but there are limits to how far you can go.  TheDucks talked about voltage drop, and that is easy to deal with (larger wire).  The biggest issue is the data.  Depending on the pixels will substantially limit the distance that you can get before the data degrades.  You will need to test the pixels you will be using to see how far you can get.  It may be only a few feet, it may be dozens of feet.  Most likely somewhere in between.

For the 17 roses along the wall partially seen in the background of this photo, there is scallopped brick edging in front of the roses.  There is about 2.5 feet of RGB smart pixel strips on the back side of the edging (facing the wall), with about a foot and a half of wire between each segment.  That worked fine but was a pain in the neck to put together!  Note, it would have been far easier if it were pixel strings rather than strips because of the need to waterproof the connections to the strip.

2014_2_arches.jpg

Cool, so it can be done so long as I avoid parasitic resistance and use the correct gauge wire to avoid voltage drops. 

My idea is to make luminaries to line my walkway, so each would have an input and an output. Would you suggest using the extension cables from LOR like: http://store.lightorama.com/ex12vo3pingr.html and just cut them in half, or is there too much of a risk of voltage drop with the connectors?

Another consideration is the pixel controller itself. Some can provide longer distances whereas others are far shorter. Example is my PS12, only a few feet but my Pixcon16’s, I can do 30-40 feet but as already mentioned, don’t scrimp on the wire size

Pixel to Pixel distance is usually far more critical than controller to first pixel.  The connectors should not make that much of a difference.  The ability to separate the lights can be handy from a storage standpoint.  It also makes it easier to swap out a defective one.  The only place I have connectors is on the lights on my eves and roofline that are mounted to strips.  There is a connector at the joints between strips so I can easily take them apart for off season storage.  For example, here are the 212 GECE lights that go on my eves hanging in my storage shed.  You can see some of the connectors at the ends of the strips.

Eve_strips_storage-1.jpg