Light-O-Rama Forums

Newb want Halloween, Thanksgiving and xmas lights

Jbofsd

If i want some lights I can hang up and change all the colors for each holiday and just program different colors for each holiday..ie purple and oranges for halloween, brown and oranges for thanks giving and then christmas colors..what is a good setup?

IMHO Dumb RGB (CMB24) is the simplest to work with.  8 RGB ports (24 channels used in 3's) Similar to doing the AC controller, just with the addition of Color (and only 8 ports)

Each port can be any of 256 colors. A channel (1 color) can sink 4A (but the bank bus, can't handle all those maxed out: 30A)

If you  purchase "dumb RGB's" it wont be long before you realize you actually want smart RGB's. Thus you will have to purchase everything again.

Start out with a pixie16 and you can get 500 smart pixels for under $150 depending on the source. 

They allow you to control every node individually or if you want them to look like a "dumb" string one color for all.

More flexibility and expansion just starting with smart RGBs while dipping your toes in the RGB world.

IMHO

JR

4 hours ago, Jbofsd said:

So in relation to product what is considered dumb and smart RGB"s??

Dumb is more like a typical LED string. The whole string reacts the same, On/Off/Intensity but it has a 3rd dimension COLOR

Smart each node (bulb) can be different Color, intensity

The 2 types use different controllers.   The 2 things they can share: Power supply and case.  Many of my cases have Both kinds (CMB24 and a Pixie4 or 8. I just use 2 power supplies on the one with a Pixie8. I like Pixie4's because my props are spread out all over the place and cables to Smart need to be kept shorter than the dumb strings or 10W floods)

• Like 1

One thing to consider.

A smart RGB can be sequenced to act/ look like a dumb node but a dumb node can't be sequenced to look / act like a smart node.

I thought about that before I purchased my first rgb node and for me it made sense. If I couldn't learn how to sequence them smart I could always use them just like a normal Christmas light string all one color.

Learning was easy and will be even easier if you use S5 to sequence them.

JR