Light-O-Rama Forums

replacing bad smart node... new string wrong color

weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

what can be done here?

i have LOTS of spares. i have tried many of them tonight.... my original string is blue and the new one is green... 

If you are saying your spares are a different color order to the originals, there is nothing you can do to make one pixel a different order to the rest of the string.

You will need to replace the whole string or find a pixel somewhere with the right color order.

In my experience, buying from Ray, all the pixels I have bought from him have been RGB and that is about 15000 pixels over 6 or 7 years.

Well that sucks. I haven’t had any of of that trouble the whole time. I’ve got my whole house outlined and this is the first time I’ve ran into this problem

Just a fast note, most all of my pixel strips, came from Ray Wu but in my case, I've received different combinations of RGB orders. First, I'm probably one of the few who's using LPD6803's and yeah, some are GBR and others GRB. Came from same order or different orders and one order from another vendor, none worked and they wouldn't refund either. Ray is a first class guy and at some point in the future, I'll replace all of those 6803's to WS2811's. In the beginning, I was trying to duplicate LOR's CCR's. Also, I've spent a lot time each year, repairing all those strips from failures and water getting in. I have a second pixel tree that uses WS2811 square nodes. Only 2 or 3 nodes have ever failed but the strips look better for animation.

I have had a number of fails, mostly the bucket drops, but either a missing or stuck color a couple of times (all not strips)

I was going to ask: How often folk had to replace a bad smart node:

1) Bullet / square / bulb 12V

2) Strip 1 section (usually 3 LED) / rectangle 12V

3) Bullet / square / bulb 5V

4) Strip 1 section  5V

These are ws2811 3 node modules. Samsung brand. I bought off eBay. And some off amazon. I have around 700 of them.

In 4 years I replace my first node during my Covid show in one circle. 12v Bullet

I thought I had a node going bad in my matrix, stuck on. Went to cut it off and when I touched the wire it went off. It was an end node where i had cut the factor connector off. The silicone had came off. Easy fix. 

I may have 1 rectangle 12v 5050 going bad on my house outline which has been mounted for 3 years. It will show this season and will be replaced next season. Its not that noticeable and at about 45' not worth the cost to tow the man lift here.

JR

Just cut open 1 pixel from each of my order.... one of them has a “world semi WS2811” chip. The one that’s giving me problems doesn’t have any marks on the chip. But beside the chip, it has 7576.

2 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

Just cut open 1 pixel from each of my order.... one of them has a “world semi WS2811” chip. The one that’s giving me problems doesn’t have any marks on the chip. But beside the chip, it has 7576.

color order is determined on which color (LED terminal) is connected to the 2811 chip 3 LED driver out terminals

Additionally, if your old string used a different chip (use the HU to see how your Pixie is configured, but I think 2811 is the default). Pixies only support 1 chip type PER PIXIE. Others may allow different chips PER PORT. (but never on the same string/port)

If you were getting erratic results, that might have been the 2811 speed setting

Doesn’t matter now! lol I ripped all of them off and going back with whole new strings that match.....

6 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Pixies only support 1 chip type PER PIXIE.

THIS is good information for sure. Thank you. Learning a lot this year. After this junk, I’m really hoping these modules make it to Christmas. I bought spares. But if I have to do this 2 more times, I’m gonna be out of luck.