Light-O-Rama Forums

Error: Unable to Connect to Regular on COM3

miker1999

Hello, I just switched to S5.  I have a mix of LOR 16 channel boards (to control singing faces) and E1.31.  In the SE, I want to run the show to test it.  I have the LOR on COM3 port and works fine in the Hardware Utility.  I have the Control Panel enabled, and select Control Lights and both the LOR on COM3 and DMX are selected.  I receive this error:  Unable to Connect to Regular on COM3.  If I unselect the LOR, the DMX works perfect.

After I converted the file to S5, I had to unarchive the singing faces.  Maybe I did something wrong or didn't do something?  I am stumped.

Thanks so much.

If it works in HU and is set in Network Prefs you should be good. There is nothing in the Sequencer that references the com port.

Is the Com port visible in Device Manager and the drivers installed. Sounds like it is since it works in HU. 

Try unplugging the USB while watching Device manager and see if the port disappears.

Have you tried rebooting the machine.

I just changed my Net Prefs to a nonexistant Com port and got exactly that message. Plays in Preview without control lights being checked.

In case something is stuck, change the com port and save it then set it up again being sure to either Apply it or say OK.

• Thanks 1

I followed all your recommendations, and finally got it to work.  Then a little while later, the error occurred again. I cannot resolve it again this time even doing all the same things.  I am stumped...

Please help...

Edited by miker1999

Are you running a show or just testing right now? last time it did this to me, I unplugged everything, plugged it back up and just hit refresh to let it find it again. I have not had any trouble since. last time it did that to me, I upgraded the S5 software. Idk if it lost its memory for the comm port or what.  
idk how that works.

You "might" need to change the USB port's properties that allows the OS to turn off the power to the port. This is found under the device manager, Universal Serial Buss Controllers, then select the port, the select properties, then select power management and uncheck the allow the computer to turn off this device to save power