Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR rgb controllers and 50/100/150 strings

Crimson Lane Lights Etown

For example; A coro star with 48 node holes, what do I do with the extra two nodes? IF, I buy a coro star with 50 holes, then problem solved. Or a snowflake with 105 nodes, how do I get the extra 5 to work in sequencing?  How many 12v pixels can I put on one port of a LOR Pixie II and how do I program that number of Pixels (bullet, square or bulb)?  Does S5 allow you to customize the number of pixels per string?   I'm using LOR controllers.  I don't want power injection or to buy any other brand controller. Just curious, maybe I'm over thinking.  I just like the ready made LOR plug and play equipment and I want to make it work with odd numbered nodes!

If you want 48, tell the software 48 and it will ignore the last two. If you want you can just cut them off and seal the wires and use them as spares.

I can't speak specifically to the Pixie but 100 12V pixels is  typically the max before voltage drop begins to affect color. Length of the lead in also needs to be factored in. You can also get away with more distance and pixels if you keep the intensities down to about 30 percent.

You should get away with 105 nodes on one port but the best thing is to test YOUR configuration and see if it looks good to you. Obviously if you want 105 you will have to cut and solder, or leave 45 dark.

Maximum on a port is 170 nodes, but you will need injection for that.

Look at JR Dibble's Pixie setup guide in the hardware section stickies for help setting the controllers up. JR is the Pixie master.

• Like 1

As far as the pixie 2 goes. I haven’t used one before...

however, yes, when you set the prop up, you can modify the number of nodes. I’m not sure how to set up a star.. I do know that there are some online star props within S5 that youcan download, they may even already have the prop set up for the numbers you are looking for.. when you click add prop, there will be a list of online props you can add......

when you put the nodes in, the extra two, just cut them off,,,,, get some heat string and silicone, put the heat shrink on the wires, silicone in the heat shrink and heat it up, there will be silicone coming out of both sides of the heat shrink, and it will be water proof.....

105 nodes,

you can modify the maximum number of lights in hardware utility.

Set the maximum intensity down to about 80% on the star and I believe that should do it on 105 nodes.... I really think you will be good on 105 without messing with it. 

hope this helps.

Someone else can chime in on the pixie2.

Keeping the distance from the controller to firs PX short add to how much you can fudge the count before injection (you cant go past the hard limit).

OH! pay attention to the (all white) current draw of the TOTAL sting connected to each port. That may force you to power inject if it goes past 4A (a short white burst will not blow the fuse. But if yo push it at 100%, have some spare fuses or power inject). You can always use 2 ports (2 strings, divided where you want)

And never toss the extra nodes (unless they are bad). Do mark (bag) them as to what brand  of string they came from. Those are how you fix a string when you have a failure that drops the bucket :p

13 hours ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

For example; A coro star with 48 node holes, what do I do with the extra two nodes? IF, I buy a coro star with 50 holes, then problem solved. Or a snowflake with 105 nodes, how do I get the extra 5 to work in sequencing?  How many 12v pixels can I put on one port of a LOR Pixie II and how do I program that number of Pixels (bullet, square or bulb)?  Does S5 allow you to customize the number of pixels per string?   I'm using LOR controllers.  I don't want power injection or to buy any other brand controller. Just curious, maybe I'm over thinking.  I just like the ready made LOR plug and play equipment and I want to make it work with odd numbered nodes!

If you have not figured out the extra five yet.

In SE or Sequencer set the pixie 2 up as a pixcon16. Give it the same unit ID as it was the pixie 2. You will have 12 extra ports. Some times you can delet the extra ports however you may just have to group them and name them unused or something.

I name my unused actually "unused" in the main group.

Note it will not work in DMX mode, you need to configure it as a pixcon16 in LOR enhanced network.

JR

Just now, dibblejr said:

If you have not figured out the extra five yet.

In SE or Sequencer set the pixie 2 up as a pixcon16. Give it the same unit ID as it was the pixie 2. You will have 12 extra ports. Some times you can delet the extra ports however you may just have to group them and name them unused or something.

I name my unused actually "unused" in the main group.

Note it will not work in DMX mode, you need to configure it as a pixcon16 in LOR enhanced network.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

The reason for the miss match in numbers is that for a star you want equal numbers on a side and this doesn't work out to an even 50.   I did get their 40 light star and added 10 to the inner to create a new level.  For their 48 pixel candy canes. I just left them unused because you need 16 X 3 even split to make it look good.   For 12V pixels you have some flexibility in length especially if you don't run at 100% (you can set this in the preview).  I run at 70% and many run lower than that.