Light-O-Rama Forums

Feature Request: Warning message in Schedule Editor

Steven

I'm sure many of you have made this mistake: You schedule your Christmas show to play Sunday-Thursday from 5:30 to 10:00 and Friday-Saturday from 5:30 to 11:00. Then, you want some extra time on Christmas Eve, which happens on Wednesday, so you add a schedule to play the Christmas show on Dec 24 from 10:00 to 11:00.

But wait! This calendar schedule disables the weekly schedule for that day! Now your show won't play until 10:00 on Christmas Eve! You should have scheduled the the Christmas show for Dec 24 from 5:30 to 11:00.

So here's my request: If you schedule a show on a calendar day, and the schedule you add does not overlap the show that would normally play on that day based on the week schedule, then the schedule editor should pop up a dialog that says something like this:

Warning: Adding this show will stop the show that would normally play from 5:30 to 10:00 on this day. Would you like to add that show at those times to the shedule for this day?
Yes No Cancel
(Don't show this again.)

If you select Yes, then the schedule editor would automatically add the show that would normally play based on the week schedule to the calendar schedule you are adding. Of course, advanced users would check the "Don't show this again." box to get the previous behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be missing your point. I dont add a schedule, I just change the times on the one already scheduled for that day.

When I want to add or change the time a show plays on a single day (or more) I just go into the Schedule editor and edit the single day to add more time or change the start or end time. This will be my first Christmas show with LOR (I had a great Halloween show) I will have a different show every night as I have sequenced 35 songs since last November when I got my controller. (2007)

When I bring up the schedule editor it shows all 7 of them, named Sunday, Monday ect.... For example I play the show 3 hours longer on Friday and Saturday night. I just add extra time for those two days. Also on Friday and Saturday ALL 35 songs will play. I will play 8 songs on the other days.

Bubba, if you try Steven's example, you will see what he means. I've made that mistake.

I think the difference here is that Steven wants to schedule a "specific day" like Christmas Eve or New Year's eve in advance. When you mention changing the time of day on the weekly calendar, that is not achieving the same thing. Christmas Eve will come on just one Wednesday (this year), not every Wednesday. If you change the time in the weekly calendar, you are changing it for every Wednesday. That is not what Steven want's to do. At least I don't think so.

LOR is really great, but I think the scheduler is one of it's weak points. I've often screwed up schedules and gotten annoyed with some of the gui nuiances, but hey... it isn't used that often, so it is good enough for now I guess.

OK I see. I did that on Halloween night. Still did it by changing the time on the schedule. But you have to be there to do it I guess, not on vacation. I did it a couple of days before Halloween. Saved the change then reverted to the saved schedule.

I have changed the schedule, saved it, reverted to it, while the show was playing and it did not miss a beat.