Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Editor Question

Craig Schmidt

I'm a "newbie" on this LOR thing, and so far, been doing quite well. I'm in the final phases of testing my Christmas display and getting familiar with the show editor, and I have this question that I hope someone can help me with. Here's what I have in mind . . . .

I don't want to have long periods of time where the lights are all off. I'd like to run some musical sequences to "WOW" them for maybe 10 or 15 minutes, but then I'd like to have a slower or even static animation (silent) parts to fill out a half hour block. Then run a different set of "WOW" musical sequences for the next 10 or 15 minutes, and fill out the half hour with slow stuff again. So does anyone have an idea how do I do that?

One other question . . . . I've got the Startup and Shutdown thing figured out. But what purpose is the background for?? Does it make idle channels work that aren't programmed?? For example, if my 16 channel system only uses 12 channels in a show, the "background" will keep those remaining 4 channels going. Have I got that right??

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Craig

You would make two shows (one musical, one static/soft animated), and schedule them back to back, repeated throughout the night.

I've never been clear why people run their shows this way, though-- around here people drive around to the various 'big' displays. If they happen to 'just miss' the show, they're not going to want to wait for 30 minutes until the next show starts, since they have a lot of other displays they want to go see. And frankly I don't WANT them just sitting there that long -- it clogs the street and, with nothing much to look at for that long, encourages problems. Just my 2cents though...

-Tim

Tim:

Thanks for your thoughts.

My 10 or 15 minute show idea is to address that very issue, congestion. If the show sort of goes "continuously", won't it encourage people to stay longer?? My thought is to have a short show, then let people move on.

You do have a good point though. I guess it's just assuming people will do one thing, when in fact they may do exactly the opposite. Maybe different things in different regions of the country.

So your thinking is to just run sequences continuously and let traffic come and go as it pleases. That will probably be less congestion.

Any other thoughts or input are appreciated.

Craig

Well you're certainly not the only person that's done the "show, then static" concept. I've just never understood why it should work. But maybe it does... :P

We do our show like a "christmas radio station"... People can drop in at any time, see as much as they like, then leave whenever they want. That keeps traffic moving pretty much constantly. If you run a show with a definite start, middle, and finish, then traffic is going to be 'batched' and maybe having a dead period would make people think about moving on instead of sitting through another show or whatever...

-Tim

I'm one of those that run shows constantly throughout the evening. To help with congestion issues, I have voice overs in between each song reminding people not to block driveways, etc.

I've found that a voice-over that runs nearly a minute is quite effective in clearing out traffic. I use it every 10-15 minutes to help keep things moving.