Light-O-Rama Forums

16x25 pixel tree with LOR Pixie8 and WS2811

Doug75

Hello

Im a Newbie planning to build a 16x25 pixel tree using a LOR Pixie8 controller and addressable   WS2811 strings.

I will use 8 x 50 WS2811 12mm 12V strings, folded and uncut to give 16 by 25 pixels. The controller has 8 channels so how would I configure this setup in the software?

Would I need to set this up as 8 channels with 50 pixels or  16 channels with 25 pixels

I already have the Pixie8, and the WS2811s. Do I need to get the USB-485HS adapter also?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Doug75

When you create the Preview in the Sequencer for the tree, you define it as having 8 strings with 50 nodes and that each string is folded 1 time. The Sequencer knows how to set up the channels. To drive the Pixie8 you will need the USB485-HS adapter.

Bob W

FWIW Each Node is 3 channels (which is why Smart pixels need the top leve license)

You have 8 ports on your Pixie 8, each port will have 50 nodes (And Yes, YOU NEED A HS ADAPTER)

I can't tell you (you have 5.x), but you need to tell it that node 51 (channel 153) reverses

Hello

Thanks to BobW and The Ducks for the quick reply.

As soon as I receive the HS adapter I'll try  a thing and see what happens.

i'll report to you Guys.

Kindest regards,

Doug75

If you're using an MP3 Director like the G3 or G4 {N4-G3 MP3}, the red HS adapter isn't completely necessary, it's only needed if you run your display{show} from the computer. 

But still good to have one for testing purposes when sequencing. This is so you can see how things are going to work and look, before writing the actual show to an SD Card, again, if using an Director unit.

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded the 16 x 25 LOR prop with cannel 1 in the back CCW. We have 8 of these trees in our show.  I setup the first controller using the hardware config as unit 50 and there is no way that I can find to assign additional unit ID's to this one controller. The preview designer assigned 7 additional unit id's so this one controller in effect uses 8 controllers. Is that correct? I thought it would use one controller ID for one tree and then use the start circuits 1-8 for the strings. It makes a difference since I need to have a block of 64 controllers available for the tree. Please advise.

Greg

Edited by MSB
Clarification

For Pixies, you set the BASE ID and it inherits the rest from that :

Port 1 = base

port 8 + base+7

You have 1 controller per tree (8 total) and 64 ID's consumed   (remember this is assigned in hex. 50-5F is 2@pixie8  controllers.  Is there a reason to start at 5X?

Yes, we have alot of hardware in the show and this is the next logical number to use on this auxiliary network. That's why I need to be careful for uid reservation's. I was originally planning for 8 not 64. Thanks for your response!

8 hours ago, MSB said:

Yes, we have alot of hardware in the show and this is the next logical number to use on this auxiliary network. That's why I need to be careful for uid reservation's. I was originally planning for 8 not 64. Thanks for your response!

Are there a lot more items on that same auxiliary network or is it just those trees?  

Reason I ask is if the trees are the ONLY items on that Aux network, they can actually start at #01 and go up to as high as you need.  

I have older CTB16PC's and CCB100-D's {5V RGB} with the same ID numbers, but the CTB16PC's are on the Regular network and my CCB100-D's are on Aux A and my 2 Pixies {LOR Singing Trees} are on Aux B.

The CTB16PC's are unit's 01 and 02, my CCB100D's are Unit's 01,02,03,04, and 05, because they are on a different network they can have the same id number as another controller, if they weren't on a different network then I'd have to make sure they started with the next highest ID #.  My Singing Trees are Pixies ID #'s 07/08 for Ralphie and ID #'s 09/0A for Zuzu on Aux B Network.

Just in reference in case you may not have known this is possible.