Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 and CCR-II's

metallus2000

I know I need an external power supply to run the Cosmic color ribbons from a Pixie 16 box. I don't know how that set-up goes.

I have a Pixie 16, and 6 each CCR-II's. Anyone have a picture, or instructions?

Edited by metallus2000
edification

Actually, let me re-phrase the question.

I have a built controller, Pixie 16. 12v system. 

What I am asking: Can I connect Cosmic color ribbons II, directly to the pixie 16 dongles. Or, do I have to use the small controller box you can buy for the ribbons?

Edited by metallus2000
spelling

49 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

Actually, let me re-phrase the question.

I have a built controller, Pixie 16. 12v system. 

What I am asking: Can I connect Cosmic color ribbons II, directly to the pixie 16 dongles. Or, do I have to use the small controller box you can buy for the ribbons?

I think your biggest issue will be chip compatibility lockout. A Pixie can only be configured for 1 chip type per board.  (all ports must drive the same chip and color order)

Why not just hook one (CCR) up and do a test?  as long as the voltage is correct, no damage

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I think your biggest issue will be chip compatibility lockout. A Pixie can only be configured for 1 chip type per board.  (all ports must drive the same chip and color order)

Why not just hook one (CCR) up and do a test?  as long as the voltage is correct, no damage

Works. I'll have to make sure the colors match in sequencer. Had some initial issues with pixie configuration, switched off RGB to other combinations, and the colors appeared correctly. I'll do some more testing.

14 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

Works. I'll have to make sure the colors match in sequencer. Had some initial issues with pixie configuration, switched off RGB to other combinations, and the colors appeared correctly. I'll do some more testing.

Yo can connect any "smart" RGB string to the pixies as long as the voltage is correct and you have the proper pigtails.

As it sounds like you discovered, you may have to adjust the RGB order in the advanced tab in HU.

However as theDucks stated, mismatching may result in colors not matching up. That would mean youd need to learn how to sequence different colors to dif ports to get the same results. That would be very time consuming.

JR

25 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yo can connect any "smart" RGB string to the pixies as long as the voltage is correct and you have the proper pigtails.

As it sounds like you discovered, you may have to adjust the RGB order in the advanced tab in HU.

However as theDucks stated, mismatching may result in colors not matching up. That would mean youd need to learn how to sequence different colors to dif ports to get the same results. That would be very time consuming.

JR

I am using these on the four gables on the house. I think I'll just purchase the Pixie 2 CCR-IIB controller boxes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metallus2000 said:

I am using these on the four gables on the house. I think I'll just purchase the Pixie 2 CCR-IIB controller boxes.

Smart RGB do not like long cable runs. Older  controllers were About 20',  Gen2 increased that limit.

High count Pixies  are best suited to dense/clustered  string usage (Trees, grids)

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Smart RGB do not like long cable runs. Older  controllers were About 20',  Gen2 increased that limit.

High count Pixies  are best suited to dense/clustered  string usage (Trees, grids)

Good advice, thank you.

• The topic was locked