Light-O-Rama Forums

Attach Lights to Stucco?

Bob Musil

We moved into a new house this year, which has the new type of thin stucco over insulation.  I had planned to use a hot glue gun to attach lights around the windows, entry arch, etc.  After reading some comments about the glue melting the insulation backing I am starting to wonder if that is a good idea.  We have never had a stucco house before, so any tips on best practices for attaching the lights is very much appreciated.

I would be EXCEEDINGLY surprised if a hot glue gun could generate enough heat to melt the insulation behind the stucco.  Even a thin layer of stucco would take quite a bit of time to heat up enough get the insulation hot enough to melt.

In my opinion, your bigger issue with using hot glue over stucco is eventually getting it off.  My house is stucco, but I don't have anything attached to it.

I don't have stucco as my house is brick. I refuse to drill into the brick and leave all kinds of holes so I made pressure fit frames that I screw all my lights to.

There are a form or hanger made for brick and stucco that has adhesive - think those wall hooks.

My friend uses them to hang cce cameras and cables on homes where the owners will not allow screws.

Sorry I do not know what they are called or where he gets them. 

JR